Tracktion Linux FAQ

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

famouswolf wrote: I too would happily buy this if it became non-free and was the
same price as the other versions.
Me too :)

Jeff Benetti wrote:
famouswolf wrote: I too would happily buy this if it became non-free and was the
same price as the other versions.
Me too :)
Funny, Im really looking forward to the next Ubuntu release ... 14.10 utopic , its got the 3.16 kernel that is supposed to have firewire/ffado/alsa all rolled together where firewire uses alsa , so I will be definitely be tinkering with my Linux/Ubuntu install and also give this a good try .. Carla2 / wine and windows vst bridging . Ive never had good luck with wineasio , windows vst hosts using wine and using a firewire device , I hear people that use alsa usb or pci or pci-e soundcards have better luck . I have had a lot of luck with Ardour/mixbus Renoise and Hydrogen linux apps though . Hopefully I get this right , Id love to finally ditch windows for good . As to buying a license if it becomes nonfree , why not buy a license for one of your windows/mac buddies or just buy a license to help the devs , personally id like to see a paypal donate button on the Tracktion Linux page . TSC thanks for making this a sticky in the forum . :tu:

I've not got to try 5.3.15 myself yet - I only heard of it as I was setting off to work today but stanlea tells me the drag n' drop / plugin management issues under Linux are fixed now so I've removed the final question

"Are there any known issues with the current Linux version?"

I'll reinstate that question if any notable Linux-specific bugs arise in the new release.

Great to see MIDI velocity input get fixed (I hadn't used my MIDI hardware with T5 enough yet to have spotted that but that's a biggie) and also that KVR now shows Tux (ie Linux support) on the release announcements.

fedexnman:

The highlight of the 14.10 release for me is that the new kernel fixes support for recent Intel HDMI audio chipsets.

I've just installed 5.3.16 (I skipped 5.3.15) and drag'n'drop is indeed working again.

FWIW, I use Tracktion under Arch Linux. There is an AUR package here:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tracktion-5/

You still need to register and download the Tracktion Linux distribution package manually to build the Arch package.

I have Carla installed (also from AUR, i.e. compiled myself).

The CarlaRack, CarlaRacKFX and CarlaPatchbayFX VST plugins are scanned correctly, but CarlaPatchbay is not.

I just successfully tested using the Calf Phaser LV2 plugin within CarlaRackFX as a plugin for a Tracktion audio track, but there still seem to be a lot of GUI issues with Carla. E.g. when I re-open the CarlaRackFX GUI, the loaded plugins aren't shown any more - even though they still process audio. Also, updating the GUI, or opening a plugin preferences dialog within CarlaRack is rather slow.

Anyway, this looks promising!

Hi strogon14!

You're correct about the drag and drop bug being fixed since the previous release. Mention of that bug was removed from the FAQ when .15 was released as it was no longer relevant.

Carla 2 has still got some rough edges as you say but it looks very promising. In my recent testing I couldn't get presets to load under Amsynth LV2 or its DSSI version when ran under Carla. I can load the presets fine under qtractor.

I just tried amsynth in carla and was able to load presets with both the lv2 and the dssi versions - http://i.imgur.com/lRgX4dM.png

With the lv2 I have to click on the Load State button but with the dssi the Midi Programme drop down lists them all. Either way it was possible to load them without issue.

I do have all of the carla plugins showing, including the patchbay and patchbayfx. I just tested all versions with some plugins, including the calf phaser lv2, and I can't replicate any of the GUI issues stated here, they load fine and reopening them is fine as well. Carla itself is a bit slow to respond and open initially but I use Carla plugins in Renoise and it isn't as slow so there might be something on Tracktion's side causing that.

I have to say that I have come across any rough edges to carla at all. I've been testing it through the beta cycle for a while and it seems remarkably stable to me now.

Edit: I can also load presets with the lv2 amsynth directly from the UI by right clicking as well.
linux

Well, it's been some time (maybe two months?) since I compiled & installed Carla, so things might have improved in between?

Yes, there were a lot of improvements made in the last couple of weeks, even day to day there were lots of changes.
linux

Indeed, I just recompiled and retested and most GUI issues are gone. Opening CarlaRack is indeed a bit slow, though.

I haven't figured out how to load an impulse response into IR with Carla, but this is seems an issue with Carla, not with Tracktion.

This is an exiting development. This means I can now switch to Linux for Audio-Recording and mixing. I still need Windows for working with some plugins (e.g. Waldorf Attack, Korg Wavestation) but that's ok. But I don't have to boot into Windows to record an sketch out some quick ideas anymore. Yay!

Alexis:

I tried the latest version of Carla in the KX 14.04 repos last night. I still couldn't load amsynth presets via the state menus but I could load presets via the right-click menu.

I've updated the T Linux registration guide now to include instructions on how to register from the terminal.

What is the name of the Carla Plugin in Tracktion? I've tried the CarlaRack and CarlaRackFx (I think those are the names), but I couldn't
get it to load or even show lv2 plugins. Ladspa, dssi and vst show up in the list, but when I click refresh, there isn't a tickbox for lv2.
Am I using the right one? Did I forget to install something? I did install kxstudio-meta-audio-plugins-lv2.

Regards
Rolf

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aha. Worked like a charm. Thanks falkTX!

I just added the following question / couple of tips to get help new Tracktion Linux users get going a bit quicker.
Q. I have Tracktion installed and registered... now what?

Configure Tracktion to use JACK by going to Settings -> Audio Devices. Set 'Audio Device Type' to 'JACK' and you will likely want to choose 'system' for both the input and output devices.

Next you will want to get Tracktion to scan your plugins so go to Settings -> Plugins -> Scanning and Sorting and scan for both VST and LADSPA plugins.

Return to “Tracktion”