Results: A/B Test re Final Mix vs. Master Mix

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks very much! Master Mix paid for itself quicker than most of my plugin purchases :)
I hope the new Punch preset works as well for you as the old one...

metrognome wrote:Dan, thank you for the zip files.
A question though if I may.
I did a full search in my windows and could find many .fxp files.
None had anything to do with Tracktion/Acuma/FinalMix/MasterMix.
Where do the .fxp files go?

btw, "RockwithEQ" rawks
Were there any .fxb files? .fxp ones were for single patches, IIRC, and .fxb ones are for multiple ones, i.e, banks.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Yes. There are three .fxb files in my computer.
Two FactoryPresets and listed as part of Kt drum trigger.
One is called FactoryPresets.fxb with no identifier as to which .dll owns it.
Hoozda Band

I should be getting MM in the next few days, so I'll post the location, if someone doesn't beat me to it.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Just to be clear however, I'm not interpreting them by ear: I simply plugged in all the values from the FM presets, then adjusted cross-over settings to compensate for the different internal signal flow. Didn't take me very long, so don't feel obliged to make that donation!

MasterMix_Acuma_presets.zip
The "Acuma" Final Mix presets interpreted for Master Mix
(13.57 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

The only thing I did by ear was compare the results: with the "same" settings they sounded pretty close, but the Master Mix version sounded better with all the material I tested, so I didn't make any attempt to tweak it closer.

Final Mix has a washy, phasey quality to the sound which I suspect is down to the crossover filters. Transients were preserved much better with Master Mix, which might be down to better compressor and soft clipper algorithms, or might also be due to the better crossover design.

I checked the EQ in FM btw: yes it cramps at Nyquist. Thats another difference between the plugs that should definitely not be changed! Master Mix is a better plug in every respect except preset management (do I really have to mess about with fxp files...?)

Anyway as a bonus here's some presets I made today:

MasterMix_DanWorrall_presets.zip
Some starting point mastering and general purpose presets I knocked up this afternoon
(16.4 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Hi Dan,
none of your fxp files work for me. Are this for PC or MAC ?
I´m on PC In Reaper I get a message about a invalid file header.

Reinhard
My Recording Studio http://www.echopark.at

echopark wrote: Hi Dan,
none of your fxp files work for me. Are this for PC or MAC ?
I´m on PC In Reaper I get a message about a invalid file header.

Reinhard
I've got the same issue in Reaper :(
I created them with Tracktion 5 on a PC.
We need some proper cross platform preset management for this thing!

I just tried loading one of those fxp files into Tracktion 4 and re-saving it: seems to work ok in Reaper now. We might have found a T5 bug? Check the attached file and see if it works for you.
AcumaCDMastering(T4).zip
I haven't got time to fix them all right now. I'll repost when I get the chance if noone else beats me to it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi Dan,
this one works fine here.
Waiting for your other presets. Thanks !
My Recording Studio http://www.echopark.at

For anybody who doesn't already have the Final Mix manual ---> http://www.mackie.com/products/D8B_V3/P ... M_RevA.pdf
Hoozda Band

Hopefully these ones will work. I added a few more of my own for good measure...
MasterMix_Acuma_presets.zip
MasterMix_DanWorrall_presets.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RJWlaw@aol.com wrote:Donation of $100.00 just made.

For me these presets are all about the workflow, being consistent, and being productive. I stick Acuma Punch on the drum track/buss, I am done with the drums. It out performs a UAD dbx 160.

In any event, your deep knowledge and effort deserves compensation.

I'm now wondering how I can talk RJWlaw into bribing the T5 devs into adding tempo mapping in the next build. If I'd known it was this easy, I'd have given them $100 back around version 1.6 ...

(I know Dan isn't a Tracktion dev, I'm hijacking this thread for my own purposes )
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

IIR - thanks for sharing those presets, and metrognome - thanks for the manual PDF link. It has a great description of each preset at the end of the manual, as well as the more detailed description of the plugin.

For me the presets help me learn what is sensible to adjust in each context, and a hint about what to listen for if I use them as a starting point. For the Acuma presets in Final Mix the manual describes the intent of each preset (or at least a suggestion about where it would be a good option).

Dan, I haven't had a chance to load your presets yet - do they get saved with a description about what you had in mind as you created each one, or what was special enough that you chose to save it?

No descriptions im afraid. I hint at my intentions with the fxp file name, though they might be a bit cryptic... Sorry about that. I might make some descriptions if I get a chance, though I would be more inclined to if this thing had better preset management!

If anyone is wondering about the opposite pre and post EQ curves, check out this video.

I'll wait in hope for descriptions - it's awesome that you've shared these, thanks again!

Return to “Tracktion”