potentialy stupid midi question

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i'm still a little new to midi recording,and i notice if i record a small part of let's say a synth line, then hit the L button in the clip to loop the part ther seems to be a space between them where there's no midi notes. i thought if you looped it ,it would loop like an audio part. any suggestions?

Have you set the In and Out markers correctly? Select the clip and click 'M'.

carllackey wrote:i'm still a little new to midi recording,and i notice if i record a small part of let's say a synth line, then hit the L button in the clip to loop the part ther seems to be a space between them where there's no midi notes. i thought if you looped it ,it would loop like an audio part. any suggestions?
The basic MIDI messages for notes are
1. Note ON: this contains the note id (eg, C1, D4, etc) and its velocity (how hard the key was played)
2. Note OFF: this says stop playing the note I just let go of

When you recorded your MIDI clip, all the notes ended before or when your clip did, even by the tiniest amount. You let go of all the keys, so note OFF messages were sent. So when you looped the clip, all the notes ended before/when the first pass of the clip came to an end. When the second pass of the clip began, notes would then start playing. But nothing in the clip would or could have played continuously across the gap.

It's probable that even if you didn't release the keys but stopped the recording instead, note OFF messages would be assumed anyway. In theory it would be possible to loop a MIDI section that contains unfinished or unstarted notes so one could end up with consecutive note ON or note OFF messages for the same note, potentially leading to bother.

If you want a continuous sound, you might try making the clip longer than you really need, then render it to audio, then loop less than the whole of the clip. Or render it and stretch it, and loop the middle bit.

I hope this makes sense and perhaps explains it a bit.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

you made perfect sense guys! thanks!!

Glad to have helped. Just a minor addition before anyone mentions it - the note on and off messages will also include the MIDI channel as well, but it probably wasn't really relevant here.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Return to “Tracktion”