What exactly is Windows Audio (Exclusive Mode) -?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wondering..

Thanks, Mike at The Coffeehouse

Exclusive Mode means that only one application can use it. So your email prog wouldn't make noise if an email arrived in the middle of your recording.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Thanks Jabe. Does it offer any better stability / performance then the regular windows audio when on Tracktion?

A good question. Have to admit to only encountering it recently too, on a Window 8.1 laptop. One explanation I found said it was a way to get lower latency.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Thanks Jabe - maybe the Tracktion elders can chime in on this one ~

In theory, Windows Audio (Exclusive Mode) provides the best stability because it blocks Windows system sounds and sound from other programs to get mixed in. It's usually the best choice when using built-in sound for computers running Vista/7/8/10.

I think it's usually better to use ASIO if you are using an external audio interface on Windows.

Thanks Gigazaga, that makes sense. Thanks for sharing ~

Best, Mike at The Coffeehouse

ASIO is best except for one thing: if you have multiple sound cards. For example, my main card is a m-audio delta 2496 pci-e but sometime I use a USB Blue microphone that is recognize as it's own sound card. With ASIO you can't use different sound cards for input and output. So I can't use both my m-audio and my Blue mic except by using DirectSound with a huge latency penality or WindowsAudio (WASAPI) with comparable latency to ASIO.

xx JPRacer xx wrote:ASIO is best except for one thing: if you have multiple sound cards. For example, my main card is a m-audio delta 2496 pci-e but sometime I use a USB Blue microphone that is recognize as it's own sound card. With ASIO you can't use different sound cards for input and output. So I can't use both my m-audio and my Blue mic except by using DirectSound with a huge latency penality or WindowsAudio (WASAPI) with comparable latency to ASIO.
ASIO4ALL should let you use multiple ASIO audio devices:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb06/a ... sician.htm
http://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineerin ... o4all_and/
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Yes, but honestly the result are not that great. I have much better results with WASAPI when using multiple sound cards. But this can be a good option for hosts that can't use WASAPI.

Return to “Tracktion”