T6 feature requests and bugs

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gigazaga wrote:
Stonecutter wrote: 5. Track Grouping
Could you explain how you would use this. Do you mean so you can edit clips that are on multiple tracks as a group?

Right now, folder tracks allow you to do that.
It would essentially be for when you want to control multiple tracks simultaneously but not folder them. Sounds redundant at first, but there are many situations where this would be better than folders, and you could also ideally group tracks within a folder.

An example would be if you want to turn down every track just a few db's you could click the top track, SHIFT click the bottom track, hit CTRL+G (just an example of a key command) to group them, turn one of the volume filters down and they all scale to that one. Then you could hit CTRL+SHIFT+G (again, just an example) and they un-group.

Now that I am typing this I realize it may cause some complications due to the way Tracktion handles it's volume control as filters. I often have two volume filters per track, so I suppose it would have to scale only the last one in each track, or you could set up a 'default' volume filter of some sort.

Anyone else like this idea? I think it would be well received.

BTW, thank you very much for the tip about snapping clips!

Stonecutter wrote:
gigazaga wrote:
Stonecutter wrote: 5. Track Grouping
Could you explain how you would use this. Do you mean so you can edit clips that are on multiple tracks as a group?

Right now, folder tracks allow you to do that.
It would essentially be for when you want to control multiple tracks simultaneously but not folder them. Sounds redundant at first, but there are many situations where this would be better than folders, and you could also ideally group tracks within a folder.

An example would be if you want to turn down every track just a few db's you could click the top track, SHIFT click the bottom track, hit CTRL+G (just an example of a key command) to group them, turn one of the volume filters down and they all scale to that one. Then you could hit CTRL+SHIFT+G (again, just an example) and they un-group.

Now that I am typing this I realize it may cause some complications due to the way Tracktion handles it's volume control as filters. I often have two volume filters per track, so I suppose it would have to scale only the last one in each track, or you could set up a 'default' volume filter of some sort.

Anyone else like this idea? I think it would be well received.

BTW, thank you very much for the tip about snapping clips!
Heres one vote for ridiculous idea. Breaks the paradigm and confuses everything.
Use a bus.

TSC should check out the So......Tracktion thread over at the KVR Host forum . TheoM said some valuable stuff good and bad about Tracktion . I mainly got a good vibe from it , seems as if about 3-5 things were keeping it from competting with Logic and some other BigBoy hosts . 3-5 things is not a whole lot IMHO . I haven't tried this is T6 , but when you audition a loop or audio file can you audition it to project tempo yet ? This is one thing I miss from other hosts .

Ben di Arrows wrote:
Heres one vote for ridiculous idea. Breaks the paradigm and confuses everything.
Use a bus.
Ridiculous idea? Maybe so, barbed opinion noted. Thanks for the reply though.

But, it does not break the paradigm or confuse anything. It could be added and you would not even know it's there if no one told you. A bus is different because it doesn't allow you to change the actual track levels as per my example above. There are many more advantages to track grouping over folders or a bus than just that example as well. It's something to think about and I will not argue for it anymore for the sake of the thread.

Stonecutter wrote:...An example would be if you want to turn down every track just a few db's...
Folder tracks have a DCA style fader that let you do just that.

gigazaga wrote:
Folder tracks have a DCA style fader that let you do just that.
When doing this your bussed tracks either get turned down disproportionately if you folder the bus track lane as well, or if you leave them out of the folder then your actual bus track lanes get moved to the bottom of your edit screen. Also, if you do this you are stuck in the folder because if you ever unfolder then your tracks go back to where they were.
Stonecutter wrote:I will not argue for it anymore for the sake of the thread.
Dammit!

It's OK though guys, I did not expect my feature requests to be hits, I was just dying to throw some ideas out there.

If not track groups, then what about filter groups? Similar concept, but perhaps easier to implement. For volume/pan filters it would be useful for moving multiple instances at once and for regular plugins it would be useful for doing the 'disable multiple plugins' thing without having to shift click them all every time. Even just one group at a time would be useful. Just ideas... I'll move along.

Well, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Especially when applied to clips. Group some clips, only move one fade and they're all done.

My FR's

-Ability to save multi-out instrument routing. Rack and/or folder.
-Beat mapping.
- improvement to tempo map (for instance 'lock to marker' so it would be movable).
-Display of bars and minutes simultaneously.
-Toys in Racks: lfo's and stuff.

Stonecutter wrote: If not track groups, then what about filter groups? Similar concept, but perhaps easier to implement. For volume/pan filters it would be useful for moving multiple instances at once and for regular plugins it would be useful for doing the 'disable multiple plugins' thing without having to shift click them all every time. Even just one group at a time would be useful. Just ideas... I'll move along.
I see your point. It would be nice to just be able to drag a selection over a set of plugins using Alt-drag like you can do with clips.

The Tracktion guys always seem to come with unique ways of handling things so maybe they could do something with tagging instances of plugins to quickly select all that are tagged alike.

One note. Currently there is the right-click "Select all other filters of the same type." I use that sometimes to quickly turn down everything after importing a multitrack project.

frankvg wrote: -Toys in Racks: lfo's and stuff.
That would be nice, and really maximise the potential of racks to turn them into a modular patching environment - I guess like MuTools MUX?
(anticipating response of "go buy MuTools Mux")
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

+1 for grouping in tracktion!

grouping clips, tracks, filters ...

(not to confuse with multiple selection, which is not recall-able when unselected)

urgent FR:
make a rightclick option for the master-pluginfield to add a plugin (filter), like in tracks!

it is so tedious to always go the long way from top to bottom to "drag" a plugin/filter in there. it is just too far away ... :roll:

this comes to my mind EVERY time i drag a plugin in on the master.

frankvg wrote: -Toys in Racks: lfo's and stuff.
Yeah, that's what I meant by
3. Automation 'metacontrols' (ie 1-to-many) 'generators' (eg LFO) and 'modifiers' (eg scale).
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

fedexnman wrote:… seems as if about 3-5 things were keeping it from competting with Logic and some other BigBoy hosts .
I think I would agree. The three things being:

1) Basic stability

2) Ability to host common plug-ins without glitches and bugs

3) A cross-indexed reference manual

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Bug no1:
When i use renoise together with tracktion via rewire, tracktion doesnt read the first note of renoise (tracktion is main host), very annoying.

Bug no2:
Some plugins (dopemachine for example) doesnt sound right when are looped, first note of a loop sounds different than rest.

I noticed recently that when I create multiple instances of the same rack filter in different tracks, each instance appears to be linked, as if they are all just references to a single instance. For example, I created a rack filter that contains a VSTi and a VST; I place a MIDI input on one of the tracks with that rack filter; when I play some notes, all of the the various tracks with an instance of that rack filter respond to the MIDI input.

When EZMix 2 is the VST that is inside the rack filter, the output sounds really garbled and overloaded; EZMix does not respond well to being routed like this.

I do not encounter this behavior if I separately add new instances of each individual plugin to various tracks. So is this behavior a bug (or a "feature")? If so, it is also present in the latest release of T5, as well as the latest release of T6 on Windows x64.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Return to “Tracktion”