T6 feature requests and bugs

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It would be great to be able to right-click on any T6 gui object, and as an option in the pop-up menu, be able to be taken directly to the corresponding colour editor parameter for tweaking.

Hope you T gurus can make it happen!

Best, Michael at The Coffeehouse

mchoffmann wrote:Playhead behaviour (Am i the only one?)
I tend to shift focus in my edit window, scroll to the right to see the next part coming or whatever. The playhead is constant on my screen so whenever i shift focus the playing position changes instantly causing stuttering or jumping playback. The same with singleclicking some place in the edit which i seem to do a lot (without noticing). DAW-wise i have grown up with old Cubase and the paradigma of the Playback position being unaffected by the screens focus.
If you turn the "Scroll" button off in the transport area the view will be separated from the playback position.
mchoffmann wrote:Multiple selection of Clips
... the way i now it from almost any other graphical software. All the clips i select by either windows/lasso/line are selected. RightClick should enable my do group/ungroup this selection to do may arrangement work.
Not currently possible but watch this space...
mchoffmann wrote:Midi Editing
.. for my alwas is editing or deleting notes i just put in with my keyboard. Startup function should always be "SELECT" not "Insert EVENTS".
And it would be gorgeous to have someting like the old LogicalMidiEditor allowing me to - lets say- take all notes from a certain range and velocity and shift/compress/do whatever i feel like to optimize my performance. In the day and age of VST MIDI is not bound to vanish but constantly gaining importance....
Yes, there are lots of cool features users request for MIDI editing. We are aware of them and will hopefully be able to improve this in the future.
mchoffmann wrote:Last thing: CPU-Efficiency.........
Toshiba I5 with 8 GB RAM and SSD and
1 DrumMachine
Sampletank with 3 Instruments
6 Audiotracks
2 Reverbs
MasterMix on the MasterBus
brings my machine to its knees..... :cry:
Take a look at the CPU resource meter by clicking on the CPU meter in the top right. It should tell you the share that each of the plugins is taking. If one is particularly high this may help pinpoint a problem with that specific plugin?

dRowAudio wrote:
mchoffmann wrote:Playhead behaviour (Am i the only one?)
If you turn the "Scroll" button off in the transport area the view will be separated from the playback position.
Hi dRowAudio, thanks for answering, but this is not quite the same. Of course the screen generally should follow playback, it is just, that manually changing the windows focus in any manner affects the playing position instantly because it seems to be drawn from the arrangement area shown on the screen. This is different from and less intuitive than any other Daw i know (Several Cubase, Samplitude, Sonar versions)
1 DrumMachine
6 Audiotracks
2 Reverbs
Take a look at the CPU resource meter by clicking on the CPU meter in the top right. It should tell you the share that each of the plugins is taking. If one is particularly high this may help pinpoint a problem with that specific plugin?
I do that, the 2 Sampletank instruments (EcoPiano, Organ, Bass) come with their own effects and use about 15-20 % each but the rest also adds up. I have to constantly freeze (which takes some time to do) and unfreeze to do my arrangment work and editing sounds.
Still looking forward to T7...:)

Possible to have a Drag (horizontal at least, if not multidirectional = best) in the Pianoroll instead to move to the timeline loosing the writing flow? It makes a big difference for a writing directly or correcting on the grid.
This is the only reason I can't really use Tracktion yet. The rest is great.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

djb77 wrote:Here are some samples:

sample-44100.wav is how it is supposed to sound

sample-88200.wav is how versions 6.2.3 and newer render the 88200hz version, the last working version was 6.2.1.
Thanks for posting these samples djb77. I typically work in 88.2, which has seemed to uncover various rendering issues over the years and the many T versions. Currently using (T 6.3.0), I've found a few things relating to rendering that I want to share.

I find that the SIR2 verb plug will render incorrectly when placed inside a rack. The effect is that the verb tail is longer and more pronounced in the render. The only config I've confirmed where this happens, is when I use a 44.1 impulse in SIR2 and my project is set to run at 88.2, with the recorded material being at 88.2. SIR2 up samples the impulse correctly when mixing, and all sounds as it should, yet the render produces the effect I described. If I take SIR2 out of the rack and instead use the Aux Send / Receive plug for verb sharing, it will render perfectly. I'm corresponding with Christian the SIR2 developer, yet have not heard whether or not he can duplicate this rack based effect. The question is whether or not this is a T based issue.

This leads me to the other issue I've dealt with over the many versions, which is that I tend to have rendering issues with using plugs in the master section. Again, they sound great in the mixing process, then render differently, similar to what djb77 has revealed. The work around is to disable / remove all master plugs and build them into a track that gets routed to by all other tracks, in place of the master section.

Bummer is, that with the previously described Submix feature issue (can't route to anything but the Default Output), is that to implement this faux master section approach, I have to re-orient all of my Submixed tracks to standard Folderized tracks so that I can route them to the faux master track.

Perhaps I have a single plug culprit that's not playing well in the master section, yet it seems deeper than that.

Any thoughts?

1 DrumMachine
6 Audiotracks
2 Reverbs
Just in case any of you are unfamiliar with this issue...

On the topic of CPU-Efficiency, I have something to share which eluded me for far longer than I'd like to admit. In short, if your computer (especially if it's a laptop) is using an Intel based processor that utilizes SpeedStep technology, you'd better be certain that you're keeping your device cool enough that it doesn't cause SpeedStep to throttle down your CPU clock when the core temperatures are too high for too long. I spent WAY too much time tweaking Windows 7 power settings, processes, services, various T settings and my RME / ASIO driver config, before FINALLY realizing that the performance issues I was having with T4 through 6 were likely nothing to do with any of these things, and were instead based in my laptop overheating, even though the fan was running at high speed when CPU load was intense.

The signs of this situation were manifest in T when I would loop something for over a few minutes. The T CPU usage meter would begin to climb to around double it's previously stable percentage, then likely red line and result in sputtering audio and very crippled interface responsiveness. Sure enough, if I let it run it's course, it would often slowly recover with the CPU usage returning to the lower percentage. Rinse and repeat.

All of this led to the discovery of the free RealTemp utility http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp, which shows realtime CPU clock and core temp stats. This tool confirmed that SpeedStep was indeed throttling down the CPU clock under heavy load. The cure? Removed the laptop battery and placed the laptop on a raised wire rack that allows for max cooling. The result is miraculous, with my old Dell D630 dual core with 4G RAM, which Jules suggested was not enough for T, now handling things with great ease. The CPU meter stays where it should according to it's relative load, making me a re-believer in the next generation of Tracktion!

When using a Mackie Control Universal controller mode, Tracktion responds correctly to the remote's changes. In other words if I change a volume on the physical slider, Tracktion track volume goes up correctly. It also works correctly in reverse for volume and pan. If I move a tracktion vol slider up, my hardware unit (in MCU emulation) moves its physical slider in response.

Ok, now for the bug... when in plugin mode. Tracktion still responds correctly to the remote's changes. If I turn a knob I the onscreen Tracktion knob will respond properly. However, if I move an onscreen plugin parameter (other than wet and dry) the remote does not register changes.

I checked the MIDI stream and verified, Tracktion is not sending the data.

T user since version 1.

For some reason Volume automation for the track's volume/pan filter is not working. I have initial volume and pan settings in the filter, but the automation doesn't touch them. What could be happening? No visual change to volume setting and no actual change.

Rock wrote:When using a Mackie Control Universal controller mode, Tracktion responds correctly to the remote's changes. In other words if I change a volume on the physical slider, Tracktion track volume goes up correctly. It also works correctly in reverse for volume and pan. If I move a tracktion vol slider up, my hardware unit (in MCU emulation) moves its physical slider in response.

Ok, now for the bug... when in plugin mode. Tracktion still responds correctly to the remote's changes. If I turn a knob I the onscreen Tracktion knob will respond properly. However, if I move an onscreen plugin parameter (other than wet and dry) the remote does not register changes.

I checked the MIDI stream and verified, Tracktion is not sending the data.
I can confirm this for MCU and C4 devices.

I'm also seeing higher levels of fader-fight (when the fader keeps trying to reset to the last position rather than acknowledge a new position) than I'm used to with older versions of Tracktion.

(Hey, Rock - long time no see!)
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

Hello my friend!

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature request...Lately I am using some delays to make some loops (in my case usually AD Dubstation on loop mode, also happens with the new Izotope DDLY) but maybe my workflow is weird and I don't have the sequencer recording anything. So I will set up a record track with the loop track as input. So far so good. But once I press record the buffer or whatever it is in the delay suddenly vanishes and all that is recorded is silence. Maybe this is a VST behavior that can't be fixed?
-Mac OS 10.10.5
-Tracktion 6.3
Thanks!!!!

I've got T6 recently and I'm very impressed - a fully featured, friendly for eyes, good commercial DAW supporting Linux too! :D

Feature suggestions:
* reading VST plugins' presets and saving them into Tracktion's own browser automatically
* implement effects per clip for MIDI clips - it'd be useful to put an arp there or other modifier plugins per clip basis (or VSTi even!)
* timeline root note changes could be scale (or chord) aware; could be great for (re)harmonization via Melodyne (I guess)
* when vertically enlarging track it's filters at the right side would be better visible when arranged vertically instead of squashing them horizontally as it is now

A record mode that begins recording the instant Tracktion receives a MIDI signal from the synth. Set the record mode, turn to the snynth and start playing. I'm spoiled to this feature on my old sequencer.

Crease wrote:A record mode that begins recording the instant Tracktion receives a MIDI signal from the synth. Set the record mode, turn to the snynth and start playing. I'm spoiled to this feature on my old sequencer.
There is a thing called Retrospective Record. You can set the buffer size under Options. There's a clock-like icon in the top right(ish). Click that, and it'll create clips from anything it's captured from any of your inputs that were assigned to tracks.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Hi,

There is a problem, that since T6 some vst plugins crashing the whole gui (the gui is not responding), while the audio is still working. The plugins are for example Cumulus, and all the TAL plugin ports from disthro. Gvst plugins and oxevst are fine, but obxd, luftikus, dexed and tunefish4 are not working. In previous versions (t4 & 5) and other hosts they were ok. I am running Tracktion 6.3.1 on an Ubuntu 14.04 system.

Return to “Tracktion”