This is My Ultimate Wish for Tracktion

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the Looper I want to use in Tracktion, Can TSC folks PLEASE take a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IqLdETvZfI
I would love to see something like this implemented for T6.

Not. Even. Close.
I have this and Augustus Loop and frankly they're too cluttered to make much sense of and have a habit of making T6 go "POOF" if you make sudden parameter moves.
So basically, I dont want "a" looper or "a" delay I want something specifically as-close-as-possible to POLAR but native to T6.

+1
this is really a good implementation of looped recording!
i want that too :)

So basically you want the option to not mute the previously recorded takes in loop recording? That shouldn't be too difficult to implement, should it?

Super easy - we can add an option to listen to previous takes in loop record - will need a bit of thought about how to do it elegantly but I am sure we can figure it out in no time. Quite why DP chose to do this in a completely separate plugin view seems very odd to me - why take the process out of the context of your edit?!
Tracktion Software Corporation

maybe because you're not distracted by all the rest of your project then, just focusing on what you want to do in this moment?
i can see a benefit in that. you choose the part of your project you want to work on and then you just see the looprecording window. also all the options you can choose from are visible in that window.
but everybody has different needs/workflows.

for me it would be sufficient to have the option to hear previously recorded takes. just make it clearly visible, that this is available.

TSC wrote:...option to listen to previous takes in loop record - will need a bit of thought about how to do it elegantly...
(Auto) - Add new track for each loop recording below the current active track?
Don't know if that's elegant, but the most easy, I thought. ;)
Last edited by phledo on Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TSC wrote:Super easy - we can add an option to listen to previous takes in loop record - will need a bit of thought about how to do it elegantly but I am sure we can figure it out in no time. Quite why DP chose to do this in a completely separate plugin view seems very odd to me - why take the process out of the context of your edit?!
This is beginning to sound like a fun creative thing - can I make an additional suggestion? Perhaps a button or key to mute only the last take? - the button could stay active throughout the current one.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

phledo wrote:
TSC wrote:...option to listen to previous takes in loop record - will need a bit of thought about how to do it elegantly...
(Auto) - Add new track for each loop recording below the current active track?
Don't know if that's elegant, but the most easy, I thought. ;)
Maybe if the 'show takes' behaviour (which basically shows 'presudo tracks' for each take) could be set to occur as recording what hasppening, instead of (I think) only being available after loop-recording is ended?

(Perhaps each 'pseudo-track' could have its own temporary 'take' mute/solo buttons which could be defined by a simple automatic rule (eg 'mute all except current', 'solo all except previous' etc) ,or subsequently overridden by the user (call it 'locked' or 'manual' or something)

The rule would be something like a simple set of dropdown menu options:

[solo OR mute] [all OR none OR unlocked OR automatic <etc> ] except [none OR current| OR previous OR first OR locked OR automatic <etc>]

On 'Unpack to new tracks' the new tracks' mute/solo states would reflect the final state of the take mute/solo buttons.)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

this all is already sounding pretty complicated to deal with, without getting used to it and knowledge about dropdownmenus and so on ... :?

that's why i believe a dedicated dialog like in the DP example rally makes sense. things have to be easy and obvious to stay creative and not get caught in dealing with functions of the daw.

maybe it could appear down in the properties panel to stay in the scheme of tracktion. this would really make sense to me.
a dedicated looprecording-panel with all the options visible, directly down there.
what do you think about that?

klangbastler wrote:maybe because you're not distracted by all the rest of your project then, just focusing on what you want to do in this moment?
i can see a benefit in that. you choose the part of your project you want to work on and then you just see the looprecording window. also all the options you can choose from are visible in that window.
but everybody has different needs/workflows.

for me it would be sufficient to have the option to hear previously recorded takes. just make it clearly visible, that this is available.
Exactly, According to the DP model you dont even need to prepare any tracks.
Polar is essentially an input that has it's own dedicated multi-pass loop recorder. You can just start jamming and flow until you have something you like, All in sync, eash on it's own take lane. then just click export but instead of a "save/save-as" dialog it just gets flung into the multi-track, positioned in the time line ready to go.
This type of self- recording is great: Capture First, then decide what to do with it, Zero Formality.
So basically if Tracktion can be made to perform like this then I'd be grateful and relieved.

klangbastler wrote:this all is already sounding pretty complicated to deal with, without getting used to it and knowledge about dropdownmenus and so on ... :?
Shouldnt do. We already have loop recording, we already have a view which shows us takes, and those takes can be split to separate new tracks. The only thing needing added to replicate what POLAR seems to do is as TSC seemed to suggest earlier; a slight change in which takes get muted or played.

Strictly speaking, I'd have thought there were only a couple of commonly used combinations of mute/play behaviour (regular looping is mute everything except the current take, the basic POLAR type looping seems to play everything but mute the previous take), but I suggested what I did because that would cover all possible variations anyone might ever ask for. Many are probably redundant, it could easily be simplified. Maybe all it needs is a switch between 'mute all previous takes' and 'mute last take only', or something similar, Im not sure, I hadnt worked out what might be useful to other people.

The UI Im suggesting for muting/playing takes I think makes sense, though, because its based around something we're already familiar with; mutes and solos. And I also think that being able to manually choose to preview more than one take at a time from the stack of takes might be useful in other circumstances (and if that happens, then maintaining the mute/solo state when unpacking the takes is only sane.)
that's why i believe a dedicated dialog like in the DP example rally makes sense. things have to be easy and obvious to stay creative and not get caught in dealing with functions of the daw.
But its only a hairsbreadth away from existing DAW functionality, ie loop recording. Making it a special case is what's not easy or obvious. Making them both different variations of the same slightly extended functionality is easier and obviouser(*)... Loop-recorded takes becomes slightly more like tracks (because they're already nearly there, albeit optionally) by making them display like tracks by default, and adding mutes and solos to them, and there's a little bit more control over which takes get automatically muted/solo'd and which dont when the loop restarts. That's it.

(*) but with worser grammar.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I downloaded the DP9 demo and tried it out. The main feature of POLAR that seems unique is that you can export selected takes to individual tracks. That would definitely be useful to me. I can't see myself using DP9 though as it seems so far away from the DAW paradigm i'm used to that, aside from the POLAR thing, i've no idea where to even start with it.

Return to “Tracktion”