FR: Selecting Different Patterns for Step Clips

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I mentioned this before in another thread, but I thought I would raise it again...

It would be immensely useful to me to be able to select a different pattern for each repetition of a step clip when it's dragged out beyond its length.

For example I might have one pattern for a basic one bar drum part and a second pattern for a fill. It would be great if I could then stretch the step clip out over four bars, set the first three repetitions to the first pattern and the fourth to the fill. Please? Pretty please? :D

As it stands, I find the multiple patterns on a step clip of limited use beyond just experimenting with different patterns.

Ok, feeling a little foolish now having pressed the Append Section button :lol:

Ok, would it be possible to select how many additional sections to be appended or inserted, then? :)

You can already do this. If you choose "Insert Duplicate Section" you'll get solid sections in the repetitions.You can then click the pattern number to select which pattern that section contains.

Or have I misunderstood what you are trying to do?

Yeah, I did spot that button shortly after I posted (hence the follow up message). Slightly embarassed now, quite how I had failed to press it before I don't know.

Having said that, it would be useful to be able to select the number of additional sections to be added in the case that you may wish to use the same set of patterns for the entire song - it would be a little tedious pressing the button 50 or 100 times to do that :) (Or can I already, and have missed that too?)

If you want to use the same set of patterns for the entire song you could create the pattern at the start of the clip e.g. "1, 1, 1, 2" and then enable the "Repeat Whole Sequence" option from the clip properties.

Now when you drag the clip out to the right the whole sequence will be repeated e.g. "1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 2 etc."

I can see that being useful, although I still like to have the option to be able set up an arbitrary sequence for the length of the song too.

Perhaps on clips that have been looped there could be an option to convert the repetitions into actual sections? I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't always work with straight repetitions, I may wish to insert a one-off sequence two thirds of the way through, or something (thinking something like verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, verse, chorus where bridge is made up of separate parts to verse and chorus).

rich_h wrote:Perhaps on clips that have been looped there could be an option to convert the repetitions into actual sections?
Yes, that's a good request. I'll add it to our FR list.

dRowAudio wrote:
rich_h wrote:Perhaps on clips that have been looped there could be an option to convert the repetitions into actual sections?
Yes, that's a good request. I'll add it to our FR list.
Excellent news, thank you :)

Return to “Tracktion”