How to use Fluidsynth as an output?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I'm new to Tracktion.

I downloaded Tracktion 4 for Ubuntu and tried to play/record some MIDI stuff using Qsynth as the MIDI output but it didn't work.
I imported a midi file, then selected the track and then set "Fluidsynth" as its destination output but I can't hear anything, and the Qsynth led doesn't blink, as if the signal wasn't arriving at all.
Has this happened to anyone else or does it work fine for you? I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit

Fluidsynth does appear on the midi devices list and it works with other applications. I don't know why it wouldn't work with Tracktion

Any help appreciated.

You can use Carla to play SF2 and SFZ files. See the Linux FAQ thread.

Yes, and I can also use jack. But why can I not use fluidsynth (Qsynth) directly?

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

falkTX wrote:Cause that's not a plugin.
You can setup some external audio and midi connections, but IMO it's not worth it
Then what are MIDI outputs for? I was able to get audio from Tracktion to Qsynth by using another MIDI app as a bridge (output in Tracktion, input in Qsynth) but that gave me very bad perforance and that's why I'm trying to use Qsynth as the ouput directly.

Though if you know of a Linux copatible plugin/synth that will allow me to assign Soundfonts to tracks please tell me. The only one I know is Calf Fluidsynth but it's LV2 only, and Tracktion doesn't support LV2 plugins.

If you don't like setting up external MIDI connections then how would you use soundfonts in Tracktion?

Does the suggested Carla option not play them?

I'm trying to understand what QSynth and FluidSynth do.

I'm getting the impression - correct me if I'm wrong - that you want Tracktion to send MIDI to QSynth/FluidSynth and have them/it send audio back into Tracktion for you to record?

That seems rather convoluted. You could just put a plug-in on the same track as your MIDI clip and it will play the audio within Tracktion. Then you're not sending something out purely to send something back in again; it's all within Tracktion.

This is a free plug-in soundfont player. I don't know if it's any use.
http://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe, I wasn't able to connect Tracktion to Carla using Jack. When I select Jack in the settings there are no inputs nor outputs available, just as described here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=384252

Yes, that's what I wanted to do.
What plugin? ok, I'll have a look at that one

EDIT: nope, this plugin is no use to me cause it's not for linux

Like I already said, you can use Carla to play soundfonts in Tracktion. Just load the Carla Rack version as a VST plugin. You can either use Carla's builtin ability to load soundfonts and SFZ files or load the Calf Fluidsynth LV2 plugin. In each case you have to start the standalone version of Carla first at least once and let it scan for plugins in and sound libraries. Set the paths to your soundfonts and SFZ files in the preferences dialog.

If you want to use the Calf Fluidsynth plugin you also need to load the plugin in the standalone Carla first, open the GUI and select the soundfont you want to use and then save the setup as a Carla preset. This is necessary since the Calf Fluidsynth custom GUI doesn't work when the plugin is loaded in the Carla plugin version, so there is no way to load a soundfont except by loading a Carla preste where the Fluidsynth plugin is already set up with the right soundfont. So, in effect, using Carla's builtin support for soundfonts is much easier.

@jabe: Sforzando is for Windows and OS X only, the OP is on Linux.

strogon: ok, I see. Where can I find the Carla Rack version you talk about?

You need to install Carla 1.9.x (beta) from the KXStudio repos (if you're on a compatible Linux distro) or compile Carla from the Git repo. If you're on Arch Linux, you can use this AUR package:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/carla-git/

I have installed carla-git (from the KXStudio repo) and now I don't know how to make it show as a VST plugin in tracktion.
Should I start another thread or is there already a walkthrough available on how to do this?

EDIT: I installed carla-vst, re-scanned for vst plugins and now Carla Rack shows on the list. This is what I was supposed to do, right?

EDIT2: When I add CarlaRack in Tracktion and open the Plugin GUI, none of it's buttons or menus work and I can't do anything with it. Is this normal?

EDIT3: CarlaRack works in other daws but when I try to add a Soundfont without using Calf Fluidsynth I get "Carla's rack mode can only work with Mono or Stereo plugins, sorry!" All Soundfonts have 0 Audio-Ins and 2 or 32 Audio-Outs
Last edited by Otolito on Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Otolito wrote:EDIT: nope, this plugin is no use to me cause it's not for linux
strogon14 wrote:@jabe: Sforzando is for Windows and OS X only, the OP is on Linux.

Sorry, could have sworn I put Linux at the front of the search words! (Turns out I did - I used "linux plug-in soundfont player" and the Sforzando site was listed second. I shall have words with Google in the morning! :roll: )
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

falkTX wrote:That is a bug that is on tracktion versions < 6.1.5.
Are you running the latest version?
Oh, I'm using free Tracktion 4 :scared:
falkTX wrote:That is my bad, seems like I broke something in Carla...
I'll fix it asap.
EDIT: fixed
Thank you! How do I get the update? (apt-get update doesn't find any new versions and reinstalling doesn't fix the problem) Do I have to wait some hours/days before it's publicly available?

Return to “Tracktion”