How to use midi with Tracktion

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi - I'm a complete newbie to home recording so sorry for the really basic question.

I've ordered some Behringer recording/mixing gear. When it's registered I will be downloading a complimentary copy of Tracktion (not sure which version that will be) and I would like to try using midi for the first time.

I have an ancient old keyboard with midi in/out and I'll be buying the midi/USB cables and hub. Apart from Tracktion itself, will I need to install any other software (e.g. plugins) or will Tracktion support midi out of the box.

David

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thanks I'd already watched that video, but it didn't actually address the question I'm asking.

Perhaps the easiest way for me to explain is this... I have a 25 year old keyboard, barely more than a toy in its day but perhaps surprisingly had a midi in and out. No software actually came with the keyboard so I have nothing supplied by the manufacturer to use as a plugin.

In the video I can see 2 references to selecting a named synth. The first is at 1:30 where it talks about sending output to a Korg synth and then feeding the Korg generated audio back into Tracktion. I don't want to do this, if I wanted to record the toy like noises coming out of my toy Yamaha PSS-480 I'd just mic it up.

The second reference is when a 'filter?' plugin is being chosen, in this example it's for a device called a Linplug Alpha. Is this filter, and others like it, something that's supplied with Tracktion - or does it have to be sourced separately e.g. a free or paid download, or supplied only when you actually buy a Linplug Alpha. Note, I'm not particularly interested in the Linplug Alpha, simply will there be some kind of synth filter to select so that I can press a key on my old Yamaha and hear and record sounds through Tracktion without hunting around for plugins

Thanks

It sounds like you really want to use the old synth as a controller keyboard only, and using Tracktion and virtual instruments?

If this is the case, then what are you getting for "midi/USB cables and hub"? If you get a MIDI-USB interface of some sort, that should be all you need. When you connect it to the computer, you should hear the "beep-beep" and typically the drivers off these interfaces will auto-install. Connect the old keyboard Midi-out to the adapters' MIDI IN, and the physical connection should be done.

In Tracktion, Settings -> MIDI devices should show the MIDI input, although it's name might be USB Midi or something similar.

Make sure the keyboard is set to send the data you want. It really doesn't matter (initially) if it's set to a Multi or Omni, or which channel, as (by default) tracktion is OMNI and will listen on ALL channels; and you only have one keyboard. On the TRACK you want to record, select that MIDI device on input, and assuming you have some VST's installed (if you're unfamiliar with that, that's another "lesson"), you should see keystrokes showing up on the input level in the track selection area, and hopefully the VST should be producing sound.

Remember MIDI and Audio are treated somewhat differently - your INPUT from the keyboard is note information only, not sound. If you have no VST as the "first" "filter" you get no sound. (filters are often modifiers, as level, pan, reverb, etc; but for MIDI tracks you need a MIDI-input to be converted to audio by a VST. AFTER that on the chain, you can put all the audio-type filters you need).

Not sure now if there are any default .VST instruments supplied with Tracktion in the basic install, but there are a lot of them out there - and many for free. When you get some, put them into a directory on your system, and then within Tracktion you have to ADD that directory to the list under settings/plugins, and SCAN the plugin directories to register them in your system. Note that many smaller/low end VST's are complete; some may require you to do some basic housekeeping when you load them - i.e. select the directory where soundfonts are found.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Peter Widdicombe wrote:It sounds like you really want to use the old synth as a controller keyboard only, and using Tracktion and virtual instruments?
Yes that sounds exactly like what I want to do.
Peter Widdicombe wrote:If this is the case, then what are you getting for "midi/USB cables and hub"?
I may have been getting my terminology wrong. What I neant was something like the M-audio Midisport 1x1 plus a cable to connect it to the synth midi-out and another one to connect it to the USB of my PC. I thought I had seen the Midisport described as a "hub" on another video, but maybe I got the terminology mixed up.

Thanks for the rest of your advice, it looks very comprehensive and useful. I still have so much to learn about setting up a home studio. As of yesterday morning I didn't know what a condenser mic was and never even heard of phantom power and XLR cables or DAWs/sequencers so I'm on a steep learning curve.

Hi,

Just to keep it simple, Tracktion no longer ships with any sounds, What you need are VST instruments or VSTIs. These are plugins'. Tracktion now uses 'plugins' for 'filters' in line with most other software.

Maybe AUs if you are on a Mac.

Fortunately you are in the right place. Here is the link to the top free VSTIs as listed by this site

http://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/windows ... st-popular

Just make sure you pick the correct format and 64/32 bit version for your system. There is enough free stuff to last a lifetime, including a free Alpha from linplug!

Let us know if you have any problems when you have some sounds installed.

Ben di Arrows wrote: Just make sure you pick the correct format and 64/32 bit version for your system. There is enough free stuff to last a lifetime, including a free Alpha from linplug!
Thanks, there certainly are loads of plugins available, most of them I haven't any idea what they do - but I'm sure I'll have fun finding out

Thanks for raising the issue of 32/64bit. I notice that some plugins have a Windows and an X64 icon. I presume this means there are both 32 and 64 bit versions available. The majority of the ones I've looked only have a Windows icon. Does this mean that there's a only a 32 bit version and won't work with a 64bit Tracktion installation? Or will 32bit plugins work with a 64 bit Tracktion but not vice versa.

I plan to use a Windows 8.1 laptop for Tracktion but I haven't downloaded or installed anything yet.

damo44 wrote:
Ben di Arrows wrote: Just make sure you pick the correct format and 64/32 bit version for your system. There is enough free stuff to last a lifetime, including a free Alpha from linplug!
Does this mean that there's a only a 32 bit version and won't work with a 64bit Tracktion installation?
Yes.

There's a comparison of the versions on the download page.

Ben di Arrows wrote:
Yes.
Thanks. If I have the option of installing a 32bit version of T6 maybe I'll be better off choosing that so that I have a wider selection of plugins

Yes, that MIDI interface will do nicely. I happen to have the UNO, and it provides the same functionality.

Meanwhile, if you want to TRY OUT hosts prior to getting Tracktion and the other stuff, there is a little free program called VSTHOST which allows you to load VST plugins and try them out. It has no sequencing capability; but would allow you to try VST's with no hardware or licenses...

(If you already have Tracktion, it may not be worth the learning curve. But it does have SYSEX file capture, and in a crude way will allow you to use your QWERTY keyboard to play using the current VST(s) ).

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Peter Widdicombe wrote:Yes, that MIDI interface will do nicely. I happen to have the UNO, and it provides the same functionality
Thank you Peter, and indeed everyone else, for your help

We've all been through the learning curve at some point in time... Some more curved than others <grin>.

Return to “Tracktion”