Tracktion 6.2.1.0

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After starting up Tracktion 6 (v6.2.0.0 64-bit Windows version running on Windows 8.1) today, it prompted me with a dialog box that a new version was available to download. I downloaded the Tracktion 6 x64 update and ran the installer. I forgot to close out the already running Tracktion 6 before I ran the installer. The installer prompted me with a warning that it could not overwrite a file, so I closed out the running Tracktion 6 and clicked the "retry" button on the installer to resume the installation. After the installation completed, I clicked the Tracktion 6 icon and a dialog box popped up asking me to accept the terms of the license. Surprised, I clicked "no", and the program terminated. I re-ran Tracktion 6 and clicked "yes" to the terms and conditions, and Tracktion 6 now only runs with the out-of-the-box factory settings. My custom settings are no longer being used (colors, folder locations, audio settings, etc.). :x

How do I get Tracktion 6 to use my own custom settings again? Please do not tell me my custom settings were overwritten and are now unretrievable.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

I have no experience with 64 bit software, but I think if you didn't backup your Appdata/Roaming/Tracktion 4 directory your settings are lost.

Maybe a tip. I do not run the Tracktion installer. I open it with 7Zip and then I just place the new version of Tracktion in the installation folder. So all settings are preserved.

"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

zxant wrote:Maybe a tip. I do not run the Tracktion installer. I open it with 7Zip and then I just place the new version of Tracktion in the installation folder. So all settings are preserved.

I did not know that Tracktion could be updated in that manner. Thank you for the tip!
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

the installer normally does not overwrite any settings.
maybe this is a bug with the newest version.
if that is true, it's a serious one, loosing all settings is a pain and should not happen.

No problem here on win 8.1
Kept all settings.
Hoozda Band

metrognome wrote:No problem here on win 8.1
Kept all settings.
Did you first try to "accidentally" run the installer while the current version of Tracktion 6 was also running?

Did you first try to "accidentally" run the installer while the current version of Tracktion 6 was also running?

Nope. I didn't. Sounds like something for T staff to sort out for you.
Hoozda Band

Are you sure it didn't just reset your colors and empty the project list? I tried it on my home computer. I think it probably has more to do with not accepting the terms. When I declined them first, it reset my colors and my project list, but it still had my plugin list and keyboard shortcuts and stuff. This happened with and without running the install while another version of T was running.

If I run the installer while another version is running, but then hit accept the first time, all my settings remained.

Well this is a pretty unusual sequence of events, unfortunate but not something most users will encounter.

Kang wrote:Are you sure it didn't just reset your colors and empty the project list?.
I think you are right; it appears to be that was all that happened. The directory with all the settings (thankfully) did not get erased, and I did not need T6 to rescan any of my plugins; the plugin settings were already the same as they were before.
Kang wrote:I tried it on my home computer. I think it probably has more to do with not accepting the terms. When I declined them first, it reset my colors and my project list, but it still had my plugin list and keyboard shortcuts and stuff. This happened with and without running the install while another version of T was running.

If I run the installer while another version is running, but then hit accept the first time, all my settings remained.
Interesting. What sticks out in my mind was that the installer paused when it was unable to write out a particular file because it was in use in T6. After I closed T6, I was able to click "retry" and resume the installer. When I restarted T6, I believe I did accept the terms. I also remember being alarmed that I was presented with the terms again (usually that indicates that T6 believes it is running from a clean install and not an update).

Return to “Tracktion”