Render a Bus possible?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wanted to check whether this is possible in T6 - so far i've not been able to work it out.

In Reaper I can do this:
Create two tracks.
On track 1 setup audio and a plugin and send to track 2
Track 2 is set to receive
Render / Freeze track 2 and it renders and saves the audio passed to it.

It would be handy to do this in T6 rather than constantly having to record sections in realtime or duplicate tracks with different FX on them.
chrs
Lloyd

Don't quite understand what your aim is. Do you just want a rendered version of the track (easy enough on one track) or do you ultimately want multiple differently-treated rendered versions? If the latter, you might like to check out Edit Clips; you could, I believe, insert the same Edit Clip onto several tracks and put different effects plug-ins on them.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

I wondered if I was being incoherent. :dog:
Yes it's more the latter. Having one or more effected bus tracks from a source. At the moment if I setup a bus track with a particular set of FX receiving from the source I get no audio if I try to render it... so I have to play it or... copy the entire source track to multiple tracks. Which gets the job done but that isn't really a bus track anymore :!: :?:

secretkillerofnames wrote:I wondered if I was being incoherent. :dog:
Yes it's more the latter. Having one or more effected bus tracks from a source. At the moment if I setup a bus track with a particular set of FX receiving from the source I get no audio if I try to render it... so I have to play it or... copy the entire source track to multiple tracks. Which gets the job done but that isn't really a bus track anymore :!: :?:
Strictly speaking, when you're freezing/rendering it in Reaper, its not really a bus track anymore there either.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Perhaps not at the point it is frozen ... no. But don't you guys get what I mean?
A source track - feeding a bunch of other tracks with different effects on them.
Render the tracks and I have a bunch of variations on the original track?
Surely I don't have to drag the source file to all tracks?

secretkillerofnames wrote:Perhaps not at the point it is frozen ... no. But don't you guys get what I mean?
Admittedly, Im not entirely sure. I think so, but that because you're using functionality that's (AFAIK) specific to Reaper, it doesnt carry over 'generically' to other DAWs quite the way it appears that you want.
A source track - feeding a bunch of other tracks with different effects on them.
Render the tracks and I have a bunch of variations on the original track?

Surely I don't have to drag the source file to all tracks?
Well, the root of it is that Reaper it sounds like is letting you freeze (the results of) an originating track that's not actually on the track you're freezing. Tracktion only lets you freeze what's there, on the track; you can however record (the results of) the originating track to the new track and then freeze that. Or alternately render the originating track, copy it to the current one and freeze that.
Via Javascript Macros, either of those should mostly be doable in one step.

Reaper is offline rendering the result of a source input being sent to a different channel and going through an FX chain. The sent track / source input is invisible to Tracktion until it is recorded as a wave file and that seemingly can't be done offline. I've never quite grasped why I cannot do this in T6 - which is why i'm asking about it. Pretty sure I could do it in Ableton, Logic and Pro-Tools.

secretkillerofnames wrote:Reaper is offline rendering the result of a source input being sent to a different channel and going through an FX chain. The sent track / source input is invisible to Tracktion until it is recorded as a wave file and that seemingly can't be done offline. I've never quite grasped why I cannot do this in T6 - which is why i'm asking about it.
Well, as I say I think that's why; Tracktion only lets you freeze tracks with contents.
Pretty sure I could do it in Ableton, Logic and Pro-Tools.
PT doesnt have Freeze, though. You'd have to Bounce tracks and do more steps in between than with T6.
And whilst Im not sure how you're talking about doing it in Live, that only lets you freeze Audio/MIDI tracks not Return Tracks which is what I -think- would be the equivalent of what you're talking about, so you'd still have extra steps there too.

But, really, do check out Edit Clips. You create a track in a separate edit, then insert it into tracks (with different effects, if required) on your main edit, and each change you make to the original is reflected wherever you've inserted it.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote:But, really, do check out Edit Clips. You create a track in a separate edit, then insert it into tracks (with different effects, if required) on your main edit, and each change you make to the original is reflected wherever you've inserted it.
I'll give that a try. It's a workflow i'm just not used to.
From what I understand that is a good way of saving CPU linking together separate edits as opposed to freezing only when it can't take any more plugins! :hihi:

secretkillerofnames wrote:
jabe wrote:But, really, do check out Edit Clips. You create a track in a separate edit, then insert it into tracks (with different effects, if required) on your main edit, and each change you make to the original is reflected wherever you've inserted it.
secretkillerofnames wrote:I'll give that a try. It's a workflow i'm just not used to.
We prefer to think of it as a Unique Selling Point! :D But it is not unlike the reference (can't remember the term) tracks one could create on my 20th century Yamaha QX21 MIDI sequencer. In that case, it was probably to save memory. So you'd just tell it whereabouts to insert chunk 1 or 2, etc.
secretkillerofnames wrote:From what I understand that is a good way of saving CPU linking together separate edits as opposed to freezing only when it can't take any more plugins! :hihi:
You could have nested Clip Edits to allow you to pile even more plug-ins into the track! :o

Return to “Tracktion”