Copper Refrence $Price tag

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You have to email to get a price ?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:You have to email to get a price ?
It looks like there are custom options, so there will be price differences. Expect around $5000.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

How do you deal with verdigris on this 'case'? :ud:

mindnoise wrote:How do you deal with verdigris on this 'case'? :ud:
Bring it inside when it rains.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

No, no, no. Allow it to accumulate patina from the get go.

That way it will fetch a better price on Antiques Roadshow 80 years from now.

Regards,

The old guy
It is time to come together in the middle of the road.

We did try that - unfortunately the copper goes through quite an extended period of being just plain ugly - so accelerating the patina is definitely the way to go. There are some great chemical treatments we have found that can be used to generate different colors - you then clear coat to 'lock in' the desired look.
Tracktion Software Corporation

Could a clear coated copper surface be an option? It would be a whole lot less hassle to have it factory-applied than to disassemble an expensive electronic instrument and DIY.
It is time to come together in the middle of the road.

TSC wrote:We did try that - unfortunately the copper goes through quite an extended period of being just plain ugly - so accelerating the patina is definitely the way to go. There are some great chemical treatments we have found that can be used to generate different colors - you then clear coat to 'lock in' the desired look.
Hahaha. You folks think of everything. :)
iMacPro 1,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.15.7
http://www.gesslr.com
http://www.storyaudio.com

How about a lesser spec'ed audio interface for the entry-level to mid-range market, with USB 3.0 und Thunderbolt connectivity? I will probably be opting for a Zoom UAC-2 to replace my NI Guitar Rig Session I/O, which is no longer supported by NI. If the Sound on Sound reviews are to be believed, the Zoom audio interfaces offer great low-latency performance for a consumer-friendly price. Better latency can only be found on an RME or UAD Apollo interface, which are naturally 2,5 to 3,5 times as expensive.

A low-latency for home use integrating well with Waveform would be a welcome product, IMHO.

Apart from that, the Copper Reference is a damn fine piece of gear.

Good question - as a team, we have built lots of good interfaces for the major brands - its not a space that we want to compete in right now. There are lots of good options for reasonable interfaces at attractive prices - building one of those just didn't get us excited

We wanted to build something special - challenge ourselves in terms of engineering design and create something unique - its what we like to do as much as anything else.

Researching the best components, trying and testing designs, fanatically improving each round (we built 4 different rounds of prototype for the CU Ref) is what gets us out of bed - plus the small volume hand built approach suits our company size at this stage

The ESS DAC we now use is astonishing (140dB dynamic range) - very few pro audio companies use it as its so damn expensive. Those companies that do use ESS will use one of the lesser chips in the Sabre range - check out the specs of your favorite high end I/O's and look for the chip number - its rarely shown, rather they just say its a Sabre - which is not bad at all - just not the absolute best

Same goes for clocking, power supplies and circuit board layouts etc - they all play a part in how effective the device can be. Don't get me wrong, there are some really good I/O's out there - and this level of quality is not a necessity to write good music - but like buying a really good set of studio monitors, it can certainly make the process more enjoyable and successful.

There will be plenty of opportunity for less expensive, higher volume options down the line :)

Sure, I can fully understand serving the toppest top of the top market is an exciting break from the mediocrity of mass market products. :wink:

If my budget would currently allow it, I'd certainly be happy to buy a Copper Reference (presuming it delivers lowest levels of latency), or a top of the line RME interface.

I am just rather baffled, at the moment, by the lack of mass market interfaces coming with good drivers. It seems the situation is ok for the macOS crowd, but laziness can be found in the Windows market, with 3rd party drivers being used.

Take the Arturia Audiofuse, for instance. Certainly a very nice and attractive interface in its price range, but once again, it comes with an OEM Asio driver. It appears only Focusrite, RME, MOTU and Zoom are delivering non-OEM drivers, allowing users to achieve lower latencies.

Ah well.

Drivers require a driver development team - any interface over 2 channels should use a custom driver. Having said that, ASIO4ALL is really rather good and is free - we are starting to see major companies simply use that rather than commit to the ongoing support of a custom solution - somebody will probably acquire asio4all at some point.....

For the CU Ref, we use a signed version of the Thesycon driver provided with the XMOS USB chipset - XMOS is the lowest latency USB chipset available. Thesycon is a German development company contracted by XMOS to develop and maintain the stereo ASIO driver.

Good latency management is not only reliant on the I/O - sure that contributes to the problem, but we are also constantly thinking of tools within the host that can also alleviate the problem. Its nowhere near as much of a problem as it used to be - of course - in fact, these days latency can be managed so effectively, its becoming a non-issue

Return to “Tracktion”