Use a rotary encoder to scroll?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible for me to use a rotary encoder on my Novation Ultranova as a jog dial? I was hoping to be able to turn the knob to scroll the cursor in my edit. I first tried using Automap, but that would only control track parameters like volume and pan. I then attempted to map the Ultranova MIDI controller to the "Jog" parameter, but Tracktion only jogged the cursor in one direction.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread since I have basically the same question. I would like to make the data wheel on my Samson MD13 control the jog function, move the playback cursor forward and backward as I turn the wheel clockwise and counter-clockwise. If I set it to control the jog function, when I turn it clockwise it works perfectly advancing the playback cursor by the current snap size. But turning it counter-clockwise always jumps the cursor to the start of the edit.

When I go to the Control Surfaces set up page I can see the wheel sends a CC value of 1% when turning clockwise, and the same CC of 51% when turning counter-clockwise. Under the Samson editor program I can only change the CC number it sends, not its value. If I assign it as the Mackie Universal Control the data wheel correctly jogs forward and backward but no other knobs and pads work. Any ideas?

At very least, I'd like to have the tilt on my mouse wheel do jogging or horizontal scrolling.
Making Bitpop music....
Tracktion Waveform 11 under Ubuntu 20.04.
ROC CUbe Ryzen 3400G - 32GB RAM, 2xSSD, Integrated Radeon RC Vega 11 GPU
Yamaha USB Mixing Station, Mackie Reference Monitors & Axiom A.I.R 32 controller.

gavindi wrote:At very least, I'd like to have the tilt on my mouse wheel do jogging or horizontal scrolling.
I've never actually tried this, so I gave it a go just now, with my Logitech M705 mouse, in Waveform 9. It actually does horizontal scrolling for me, straight out the box (as in, i've not configured the buttons to do anything special)

I've just found it scrolls left and right in a web browser window too. Does your mouse do that?
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

chico.co.uk wrote:
gavindi wrote:At very least, I'd like to have the tilt on my mouse wheel do jogging or horizontal scrolling.
I've never actually tried this, so I gave it a go just now, with my Logitech M705 mouse, in Waveform 9. It actually does horizontal scrolling for me, straight out the box (as in, i've not configured the buttons to do anything special)

I've just found it scrolls left and right in a web browser window too. Does your mouse do that?
Dang! I guess it's a quirk with the Juce framework under Linux. :(
Making Bitpop music....
Tracktion Waveform 11 under Ubuntu 20.04.
ROC CUbe Ryzen 3400G - 32GB RAM, 2xSSD, Integrated Radeon RC Vega 11 GPU
Yamaha USB Mixing Station, Mackie Reference Monitors & Axiom A.I.R 32 controller.

Return to “Tracktion”