8.027 beta crashes consistently if zoomed in to MIDI editor and a notes is dragged [Fixed]

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kinda frustrating! :D

Hopefully this is fixed in the final release of this version.

I'm trying to replicate this but having a hard time doing so. Can you provide a few more details please?
• What type of MIDI editor are you using (in-clip, panel or windowed editor)?
• Does it apply to just one type of editor or all of them?
• How many notes are you dragging? (Does it happen with any number including just one?)
• How zoomed in do you have to be? Is this vertical zoom or horizontal?
• At what zoom point do the crashes start to happen?
• What platform etc. are you on?
• Could you upload a log file (and the relevant dmp file if on Windows)

Hopefully with a bit more info I can get this sorted asap.
Cheers!

I *think* I've got this sorted now but it's a bit difficult to tell without being able to reproduce it.
Let me know if it persists with v8.1.0 (out soon).

Are you actually the main developer now, dRow? sorry for asking, but I guess I'm not in the know - last thing I heard (read) was that Jules was back in the saddle.

Since you are quite active here it would be great...

oh, and while I'm at it: what's the best place to deposit bugs? I've got a full trunk of 'em little critters...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I aim to answer your questions later to help nail this down - my day job has gotten in the way :)

So of course it seems to have stopped crashing, like when you don't feel well and go to the doctor and feel superb. It's possible the computer restarted itself applying a Windows update or something... but I don't think so.

• What type of MIDI editor are you using (in-clip, panel or windowed editor)?
I was in the panel, but tried detaching it and it still caused a CTD

• Does it apply to just one type of editor or all of them?
Not sure of the question exactly - it was just in the MIDI editor (at least that's all I was using).

• How many notes are you dragging? (Does it happen with any number including just one?)
I was dragging a single note. I believe that "Pressure" was showing as well.

• At what zoom point do the crashes start to happen?
I hit the "Zoom" button in the MIDI editor - it was at any zoom level I tried.

• What platform etc. are you on?
Win10 Pro on older, solid and stolid, home-built PC

• Could you upload a log file (and the relevant dmp file if on Windows)
I'll look for those.

EDIT: Nope. Still sometimes crashes when zoomed in.

Ok thanks for the additional info. However I still can't reproduce it.
The showing note expression editor ("pressure") could be the missing bit of info here, can you try turning it off and seeing if the crash still happens? (There's a button in the "MIDI Events" properties panel called "Show Note Expression").

Are you using note expression or do you have it on by accident?

If you could give 8.1.0 a go that would be a great help.
If you still see the crashes, sending the log file is probably the only way we'll be able to get to the bottom of it.

Cheers.

jens wrote:Are you actually the main developer now, dRow? sorry for asking, but I guess I'm not in the know - last thing I heard (read) was that Jules was back in the saddle.

Since you are quite active here it would be great...

oh, and while I'm at it: what's the best place to deposit bugs? I've got a full trunk of 'em little critters...
Hi Jens, yes I am one of the main developers at the moment along with Roland (FigBug on here) who created all the new MIDI tools. Jules is still part of Tracktion (since the TSC formation 5 years ago) but he also works at Roli so is reserved mainly for "Tracktion Special Projects" (which we can't talk about...).

You can report bugs here or via emailing support@tracktion.com, it really depends on what you prefer but it's worth noting that others may be able to also help out on here or verify/clarify bug reports.
However you do it though, please start a new thread/ticket for each bug otherwise it becomes difficult to track progress. As always, please provide as much info about the bugs as possible and be sure to upload a log file (and associated dmp crash file on Windows) when you report a bug as that usually gives us a flying start.

Looking forward to hearing about your bugs!
Dave

I installed the 8.1 beta last night and - so far - no crashes, but I didn't have a lot of time with it. I'm going to tentatively move this to "fixed" and will try more note dragging like crazy today to make sure.

Thanks, that's a good initial sign anway. Let me know if it comes back...

Thanks a lot for the thorough answer Dave - it's highly appreciated.

The bugs (if you would call them "bugs" at all that is) are usually either GUI or plugin related. And example for a GUI related bug would be the already in my "minor niggles" thread mentioned one, where the "select one of the plugins in this rack"-function often doesn't work (depending on what you did earlier with the GUI window of that respective plugin).
They normally do not cause a crash and the plugin related ones mostly do not either.

With some bugs (or whatever you might call them) I haven't quite sussed out yet how to provoke them, so they seem a bit random to me (which makes it difficult to report them in a reasonable manner) and we're going on a short holiday tomorrow for the next ten days, but I'll do my best to start making some reports.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

It's difficult to say with vague reports as if there isn't a concrete way of replicating issues and it's not something obvious it can be quite difficult to chase them down. In this case, probably the best thing to do it post them in their own thread on here so others can verify the problems and hopefully help create a reproducible case.

Have a good holiday!

It doesn't seem to happen as often with 8.1, but last night I zoomed in using the MIDI editor and tried to shorten a note and Waveform crashed to desktop again (no pressure option showing).

Return to “Tracktion”