Monitoring feature request

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I´m a new user who resently updated from Tracktion 7 to Waveform. Never started to use Tracktion because it did not have a dedicated mixer or midi editor. Happy to see that these were included in Waveform so I´m giving it another try. Got to say that I like it alot so far and it has been totally stable so far. Good work devs!

Anyway, when I started to record with waveform I got some "why have they not" moments. For example the meters in the big metering bridge that can be shown in the mixer would be little more useful if they also showed peak values in with numbers for example in the bottom of the meters. Like the meter you see in the bottom when you select a level plugin.
It would be really nice if there was an option for VU in addition to PEAK and RMS.
I think that many uses VU meters for gainstaging, well at least I :-) Many analogue modelled plugins is calibrated for -18db, -10db vu etc To have this metering option built in would be really nice.

Another thing is the level plugin. It would be great to have a small graphical representation of the metering going on in the plugin right there in the insert slot, kind of in a same way as the Volume&Pan plugin, with numeric representation of the peak values also. This way one could place these level plugins anywhere in the mixer, after plugins etc and always have a nice overview of gainstaging right there in the mixer without having to click a level plugin to see this info or open a 3rd party VU meter plugin for this (hence the request for VU).

Strangely no DAW I know have this kind of feature. Presonus have tried to do a VU meter plugin for Studio One but it is really poorly implemented.

I think metering is a really important part of recording and mixing so to have these kind of features in a mixer would be really great. I´m suprised why todays DAWs have so poor solutions for this built in. Please, be the first to do this right or at least little easier for the users to do basic metering ;-)

Would really like to hear from other users what they think about this subject.

If you read all the way down here, thank you for your attention!

//Vesa

You HAVE input metering going on (at the bottom/input section), plus the little meters on the left. True, you can only see the one single or stereo pair at a time...

It does have a number of options - RMS, peak, reset, etc. but not analog-style VU meters.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Return to “Tracktion”