Controller, controller

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

as I am not only moving state, but an entire continent, I will have to slim down on my gear for the first year, or two. That means I will be waving my 49-key controller goodbye. I am now in the market for a 25-key controller, both for use with Waveform and Ableton Live. Having had a look at what is available, size, form, function and bang for the buck, I am feeling a lot of love for the Keith McMillen K-Board. Has anyone here used it?

Cheers!

I used to have a QuNexus, which I believe has the same keybed and case as the K-Board. It worked great, but I personally found it a little difficult to get used to the pads/keys and replaced it with an MPK Mini (which has terrible keys for other reasons, but at least they give some black note feedback if you're used to synth/piano keys). The KMI did excel at modulation and expressive control, if that's what you're after, and was physically rugged and traveled well. I threw it in a backpack all the time for trips. For playing in chords and stuff to a sequencer, it might be the ticket.

I would just point out that many of the 25 key controllers on the market have "mini keys" (or "slim keys").

For me, these "mini" keys are unbearable to use. So, depending on your intended use, YMMV.

I have a full size 49-key and a 37-key controllers. I recently tried a MPK Mini MkII, and immediately returned it. Also bought a IK Multimedia iRig Keys 25. I kept it and threw it in a drawer, because it came with some cool software. I thought I could use it for keyswitching samples, but they are some small keys!

Both of these products seem well made, but I cannot play them without striking more than one key with each finger. They remind me of a child's first toy piano.

I did find a 25 key controller that I love, however. It is the CME XKey 25. 25 standard size keys, and it fits in my backpack with my laptop!

CME Pro Xkey MIDI keyboard --the answer of next generation mobile music -- features demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLJT ... G5A8AEBOzs

http://www.cme-pro.com/videos/
Windows 10 and too many plugins

While flexible, I just haven't been able to get satisfactory velocity curves set up on the CME Xkey. Maybe it's just me, and not being able to get used to the action of a keyboard with about 1/8" key movement.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Peter Widdicombe wrote:While flexible, I just haven't been able to get satisfactory velocity curves set up on the CME Xkey. Maybe it's just me, and not being able to get used to the action of a keyboard with about 1/8" key movement.
I agree, but it's WAAAAYYY better than most compact 25 key units. An obvious advantage to the 1/8" key movement is being able to do a glissando https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glissando that would be difficult to achieve with a synth action or weighted keyboard.

If you have the room, the best all-around choice for a small footprint would be a 25-37 key unit with full size synth action keys. The Xkey is not my primary controller, so as an accessory, I still love it. Fits in the bag with the laptop. I wouldn't want to part with the Xkey! It also sits nicely in front of my monitor while I am auditioning presets! :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Tracktion”