Waveform new features requests

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

solomute wrote:
It's probably not what you want to hear, but why do you continue to waste your time with a DAW that clearly fails to meet your needs in so many ways? Don't you just want to make music?
There are so many other choices out there ...
I have tried reaper before. It consumes more cpu. But now I am going to test another daw since I get reboots when waveform\tracktion is loaded more than 50% of cpu. I hope that I won't have reboots in another daw. Which daw do you use or recommend? My mainboard or PSU is faulty and only 1\3 of ram slots work. I have tested cpu under benchmark and no reboots with 100% load probably because hdds are not extensively used as with daws. But there is still a possibility that waveform + jbridge interfere. I will check cpu load in reaper and if I manage to have 100% load without reboots I will certainly leave waveform\tracktion for another daw.
I doubt it is the DAW causing your reboots. Get some benchmarking and memtest software and shake your system down well.

Your mainboard, memory, or PSU is probably failing.

Run the Prime95 "stress test" https://www.mersenne.org/download/#stresstest

That puts my CPU up to 99-100%. Then fire up LatencyMon. http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

When I do this with a Waveform project with 5 soft synth tracks it plays back smoothly, no dropouts (or any weird crashes or reboots).

With all this running my CPU is at 100% and my RAM at 70%, the LatencyMon stays in the green, and the Waveform playback continues smoothly. The UI also remains responsive as well as my mouse movements are smooth.

And I am running on a 3 year old i3, with 8GB RAM. :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Different daws can utilize different ways of working with cpu and if you have a lot of vsts loaded they can create errors. For example on start reaper has found that 3 vsts gave some illegal operations. I removed those vsts and so far waveform gave no reboots but i still need to test it again with the standard cpu multiplier. My mainboard has been failing for 3 years and still works. I have tested cpu under 100% load in cpu-z and no reboots. As I have said it's either waveform or samplers or vsts inside or jbridge. I tested ram in the past and got no errors. This is of course a kind of wizardy to make my hw work properly but it can be done because i have been living with it for several years.
Dropouts do not cause reboot. They can slow down a pc only.
samplitude is the best daw for me. To have studio like sound before asking questions on any audio forums in the internet please read the book by alex unlocking fx creative potential

solomute wrote:My mainboard has been failing for 3 years and still works.
Think about that for a second. If you are serious about making music on a computer, you need to fix this before you do anything else. Until you do that you will have no logical way to determine what is causing your trouble.

Or live with it and stop blaming the software.

Choices.

Stop giving bullshit pieces of advice first. You seem to be not knowledgeable enough to help...Even with the perfectly working hardware you can get problems due to faulty code. Especially with tons of vsts in memory. And you are very offtopic here. I ask here for improvements and not about fixing reboots. Read above once more. Old vsts older than 2005 often give crashes of the program, it's not related to hw at all. It's either jbridge or waveform\traction. For example indygo delay and other indygo plugins from 2000. They have dropped compatibility to old vst versions. One of those may interfere or other factors. The only weak place of my hw is mainboard's bus, not cpu, not ram. Bus has bandwidth and evidently that bandwidth is failing either due to psu or damage of mainboard. BEcause i pass successfuuly cpu and ram tests in not daws where there is no need to transfer bulks of data.
samplitude is the best daw for me. To have studio like sound before asking questions on any audio forums in the internet please read the book by alex unlocking fx creative potential

solomute wrote:I ask here for improvements and not about fixing reboots. Read above once more. Old vsts older than 2005 often give crashes of the program, it's not related to hw at all..
Prove it. The forum is open ...

Very easy. I have just run reaper with cpu multiplier on maximum, i've recorded 3 instruments and have played back without problems. I have had no reboots. I felt like there is a backdoor in waveform and someone was playing a joke over me ie if i increase cpu multiplier they remotely reboot my pc and if i lower it by 2 stops they don't mind it. Well, in reaper i have 50 tracks, in tracktion 100 since they are different projects. What made me move to tracktion were problems i had started to get in reaper. Now it's vice versa. I have upgraded my cpus and things have changed 180 degress. So my advice is use tracktion\waveform for dualcore cpus and reaper for quadcored cpus. I wish success to tracktion team. I really liked their program and have created lots of presets that i am sad to lose by switching to reaper. But constant reboots have driven me crazy. I am sure it can be connected with jbridge and that's why i advised tracktion team's developing own bridge and focus on that task leaving other things aside. Or it's connected with low level code of interaction with the hw ...

Reaper also has its disadvantages ie asio gives clicking sound like there is latency problem. In waveform asio works well. If i switch to wasapi in reaper i have to raise volume in souncard's driver and get increased hissing. So perhaps i need to switch to something like protools or pyramix where code should be polished to shining.

Support "automatic track name and number" feature useful for some plugins (Softube Console 1). This gives the ability to know the name and number of the track on which they are placed.

Instead of copying and pasting automation points I would like to drap the automation line and drop it on a parameter of another plugin the same way i do with A sign.

solomute wrote:Very easy. I have just run reaper with cpu multiplier on maximum, i've recorded 3 instruments and have played back without problems. I have had no reboots. I felt like there is a backdoor in waveform and someone was playing a joke over me ie if i increase cpu multiplier they remotely reboot my pc and if i lower it by 2 stops they don't mind it. Well, in reaper i have 50 tracks, in tracktion 100 since they are different projects. What made me move to tracktion were problems i had started to get in reaper. Now it's vice versa. I have upgraded my cpus and things have changed 180 degress. So my advice is use tracktion\waveform for dualcore cpus and reaper for quadcored cpus. I wish success to tracktion team. I really liked their program and have created lots of presets that i am sad to lose by switching to reaper. But constant reboots have driven me crazy. I am sure it can be connected with jbridge and that's why i advised tracktion team's developing own bridge and focus on that task leaving other things aside. Or it's connected with low level code of interaction with the hw ...
When you say "cpu multiplier" are you overclocking your CPU? If so, you're kind of on your own here. We can test on machines that are being pushed past their "recommended manufacturers limit".
There's nothing in Tracktion/Waveform that should be able to physically cause a reboot unless a driver fails.

No, i am not overclocking, I have to downclock from the prescribed value to have no reboots. What causes it i wonder. Reaper does not reboot. I may suspect that some jbridged vsts can do it. Some from early 00s are the candidates. I think so because as i have noticed some old 32bit plugins have stopped working. And other cause crash. Is there a program to debug what causes reboot?

Just to recap, you have a laptop with failing hardware, and memory slots that don't work, a desk that is too small to use a mouse, even if you pile books under it, so you want to use a webcam to control Waveform, you believe the best VST ever created is only available as a 32 bit plugin, so tracktion should build support for bridging into the product, because jBridge possibly makes your laptop reboot?

Good luck.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

A button to clear the search bar that would also place the cursor in the field ready for entry.

Rock wrote:A button to clear the search bar that would also place the cursor in the field ready for entry.
Create a macro with this and assign it to a keyboard shortcut:

Code: Select all

Tracktion.showSidePanel ('search');
Tracktion.setSearchPanelText ('');

Hi,

any news about when scale notes will be available in midi pattern generator melody ?

Return to “Tracktion”