Waveform 8.1.16 Beta Available

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dRowAudio wrote:
Hermu wrote:
chico.co.uk wrote:
Hermu wrote:there is a big mistake with the lock function, as i you can see in Waveform manual on page 178, the lock button should only prevent keyboard shortcut inputs, if the keyboard was used as virtual keyboard for recording and has nothing to do with the plugin gui handling!
The manual does not say that's the **exclusive** function of that lock icon, and it isn't the only use for the lock function.

If you mouse over the lock, in the top right of the gui it says "Locks the properties panel to keep showing the current contents". It's used with floating plugin guis to keep displayed them on screen, if they lose focus, because you clicked on something else. It absolutely is used to control plugin gui handling.
i'm sorry, but the lock function changes only the lock icon and did not realy lock anything, because you can change all current contents in this locked properties panel as with unlock and this is not what everyone would expect from locking. it seems, this feature was never implemented since T5 and only the popup help shows what lock should do.
tested on Windows and MacOs and i have not found any difference between lock and unlock!
Are you sure about this? I've just tested the Properties Panel lock button and it behaves exactly as it is supposed to. Perhaps you're getting confused between the plugin window lock button and the properties panel lock button? They have completely different functions.

Properties panel lock button:
• Select a item in an Edit e.g. a track, the track's properties are visible in the properties panel
• Click the 'lock' button in the top right hand corner of the properties panel
• This locks the contents of the properties panel so selecting other elements won't change what's shown in the properties panel
• Now select another item in the Edit e.g. a 4-band EQ plugin on a different track
• Notice that the properties panel still shows the originally selected track
• Press the 'lock' button in the properties panel again and the content will change to the currently selected 4-band EQ plugin
(N.B. as chico says, because the properties panel is used to determine whether to show external plugin windows, if you select a VST plugin, show the window then lock the properties panel, because that plugin is still being shown in the properties panel, it's window will remain open even if you select another element).

Plugin window lock button:
• The plugin window lock button is different and distinct from the properties panel
• If you open a plugin window the window will stay open and on top of the Edit until you select another element in the Edit
• If you 'lock' the plugin window, it will stay open, even if you select another element in the Edit
• You can do this with multiple windows and even rack windows to ensure they don't close automatically
• Locking windows basically means they stay open until explicitly closed with the "X" button
• There's an option in the "Plugin" settings to automatically lock all plugin windows
• One caveat to this is that if you change Edits or move to the Project/Settings page, all plugin windows for that Edit will be closed whether locked or not

This is how the lock functionality is supposed to work in Tracktion/Waveform and to the best of my knowledge does so. If you see any deviation from the above please let us know and we'll take a look.
thanks, now i understand what is meant with lock and unlock, but this function is undocumented in Waveform 8 user manual.
please can you add this discription also to Waveform 8 user manual.

but there is a also difference with Plugin window lock button handling between MacOs and Windows:
on MacOs all opened plugins stays open with or without lock.
on Windows a plugin window must be locked to stay open.

if you have more plugins opened and select a previous opened plugin again, this did not actualise the properties values on unlocked panael.

Hermu wrote:
dRowAudio wrote:
Hermu wrote:
chico.co.uk wrote:
Hermu wrote:there is a big mistake with the lock function, as i you can see in Waveform manual on page 178, the lock button should only prevent keyboard shortcut inputs, if the keyboard was used as virtual keyboard for recording and has nothing to do with the plugin gui handling!
The manual does not say that's the **exclusive** function of that lock icon, and it isn't the only use for the lock function.

If you mouse over the lock, in the top right of the gui it says "Locks the properties panel to keep showing the current contents". It's used with floating plugin guis to keep displayed them on screen, if they lose focus, because you clicked on something else. It absolutely is used to control plugin gui handling.
i'm sorry, but the lock function changes only the lock icon and did not realy lock anything, because you can change all current contents in this locked properties panel as with unlock and this is not what everyone would expect from locking. it seems, this feature was never implemented since T5 and only the popup help shows what lock should do.
tested on Windows and MacOs and i have not found any difference between lock and unlock!
Are you sure about this? I've just tested the Properties Panel lock button and it behaves exactly as it is supposed to. Perhaps you're getting confused between the plugin window lock button and the properties panel lock button? They have completely different functions.

Properties panel lock button:
• Select a item in an Edit e.g. a track, the track's properties are visible in the properties panel
• Click the 'lock' button in the top right hand corner of the properties panel
• This locks the contents of the properties panel so selecting other elements won't change what's shown in the properties panel
• Now select another item in the Edit e.g. a 4-band EQ plugin on a different track
• Notice that the properties panel still shows the originally selected track
• Press the 'lock' button in the properties panel again and the content will change to the currently selected 4-band EQ plugin
(N.B. as chico says, because the properties panel is used to determine whether to show external plugin windows, if you select a VST plugin, show the window then lock the properties panel, because that plugin is still being shown in the properties panel, it's window will remain open even if you select another element).

Plugin window lock button:
• The plugin window lock button is different and distinct from the properties panel
• If you open a plugin window the window will stay open and on top of the Edit until you select another element in the Edit
• If you 'lock' the plugin window, it will stay open, even if you select another element in the Edit
• You can do this with multiple windows and even rack windows to ensure they don't close automatically
• Locking windows basically means they stay open until explicitly closed with the "X" button
• There's an option in the "Plugin" settings to automatically lock all plugin windows
• One caveat to this is that if you change Edits or move to the Project/Settings page, all plugin windows for that Edit will be closed whether locked or not

This is how the lock functionality is supposed to work in Tracktion/Waveform and to the best of my knowledge does so. If you see any deviation from the above please let us know and we'll take a look.
thanks, now i understand what is meant with lock and unlock, but this function is undocumented in Waveform 8 user manual.
please can you add this discription also to Waveform 8 user manual.

but there is a also difference with Plugin window lock button handling between MacOs and Windows:
on MacOs all opened plugins stays open with or without lock.
on Windows a plugin window must be locked to stay open.

if you have more plugins opened and select a previous opened plugin again, this did not actualise the properties values on unlocked panael.
as i wrote about difference with Plugin window lock button handling between MacOs and Windows, that was not correct, because i have tested with locked and unlocked properties panel and this is on Windows and MacOs the same.

test with locked properties panel:
1. lock properties panel
2. open first plugin
3. open second plugin
4. open a third plugin
result: all plugins stays open without enabled plugin lock and that's different to plugin lock logic!

test with unlocked properties panel:
1. unlock properties panel
2. open first plugin
3. open second plugin
4. open a third plugin
result: only last selected plugin is open without enabled plugin lock and that's correct!

test with unlocked properties panel:
1. unlock properties panel
2. open first plugin and activate lock
3. open second plugin and activate lock
4. open a third plugin and activate lock
result: all plugins stays open with enabled plugin lock and that's correct!

dRowAudio wrote:I've made a note to add this to the manual in a future revision.

I know you mentioned a "newer" video but the process is much the same as this old video from T3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha7Tfq9CpzY
The T4 manual also has a chapter on Racks right at the end: https://www.tracktion.com/training/manuals

There's not much to document in the way of the new bus configuration options, it's just a new menu option which should change the number of IO pins available for a plugin.

We'll document this more fully in a future release of the manual though.
Thanks dRowAudio .... And thanks for the fix . :phones:

Return to “Tracktion”