Biotek - crazy high CPU use

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I've just been playing with the "Woody D&B" demo, which uses biotek in some tracks.
[With Waveform 8 64 bit.]

It was totally mangled on my setup, horrendously distorted audio.. I then noticed the CPU load was about maxed out.
Muting the biotek tracks brings the CPU down to around 10%.

Enabling each track in turn, the first two distort regardless but the third will just play OK, running at around 70% or so CPU. I have to put the output buffer up to 1024 to get that to play; I normally have it at 256.

I've tried biotek 1.5.5 and 1.6 with no difference.

With all tracks enabled and tracktion showing full CPU load, Windows task manager is only showing around 20% actual load on each core ???

For comparison, Synthetique or Static Observer Rorschach each run at around the 6 - 8% range.

I've also tried the 32 bit version of waveform; the results and loadings are very similar with the same biotek problems.

Another problem: When exiting / closing the Woody D&B demo, something sometimes plays in the background & the only way to stop it is to exit waveform.

ps. "Biotek content" - as a separate download, there does not seem to be any info as to where you should place it? I have the full package installed so not a problem, just an oddity.

System: FX-8320 8 core CPU, 8GB RAM, running Win 7 64 Pro with all updatews, 500GB SSD.
(With an FW-1884 connected via an "approved" PCIe firewire card).

It seems you need a new CPU - Biotek is a big beast. I have an Intel i7 6600U in my Thinkpad, Biotek uses up to 20% per single track, if memory serves me right. The FX-8320 is five years old and technically outdated, I'm afraid.

The SSD won't help here, as you're not streaming a large sample library to your CPU.

Here's a comparison to my notebook CPU:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6 ... MD-FX-8320

Return to “Tracktion”