Waveform 8.2.3 Beta Available

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone, Waveform 8.2.3 is now available from your downloads area: https://marketplace.tracktion.com/shop/ ... chive/?v=8
- Fixed MIDI clock on looping

- Fixed lockup when editing MIDI clone clips (Windows)
- Fixed all notes in key option for MIDI melody generator
- Fixed stuck MIDI guide notes with MIDI paint tool
- Added option to randomise MIDI velocity
- Improved the visibility of some colours in the light scheme
- Added 3rd party file drag to the Files and Search panel
- Improved plugin window handling on Linux

Strange behaviour of midi clips, selecting clip, then trying to double click to expand makes the clips jump all over the place!
Just trying to select clip is difficult. it jumps up a track, and forwards and backwards in a flickering manner. However using Hide /Show midi clip seems to work ok.
On the positive side, deleting all clips except for drum, randomize selected velocities works a treat and just as I'd hoped.
cheers.
Wee clip to hopefully show you what I mean.
https://youtu.be/eggpLyqJSCY

Win 8.1 64bit / intel i3 3.30 GHz/16 ram
Last edited by terrynoakes on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 / Intel core i7 2700k @ 3.50GHz / 16GB Ram / Emu 1212m Sound Card / Ati Radeon HD5400 Series G/Card

Any new scripting additions?

terrynoakes wrote:Strange behaviour of midi clips, selecting clip, then trying to double click to expand makes the clips jump all over the place!
Just trying to select clip is difficult. it jumps up a track, and forwards and backwards in a flickering manner. However using Hide /Show midi clip seems to work ok.
On the positive side, deleting all clips except for drum, randomize selected velocities works a treat and just as I'd hoped.
cheers.

That's odd, I've not been able to reproduce this. It looks like the mouse is setting an incorrect position while you're dragging, or that the current drag is being undone incorrectly and so it's snapping back to where it was originally. Do you have Waveform on a second monitor or is this the main one?
Does rebooting your system help?

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Rock wrote:Any new scripting additions?
Unfortunately not, we didn't have time to add any in this update. I've got a big list of requests though so hopefully I'll find some time to do a load in one go.

dRowAudio wrote:
terrynoakes wrote:Strange behaviour of midi clips, selecting clip, then trying to double click to expand makes the clips jump all over the place!
cheers.

That's odd, I've not been able to reproduce this. It looks like the mouse is setting an incorrect position while you're dragging, or that the current drag is being undone incorrectly and so it's snapping back to where it was originally. Do you have Waveform on a second monitor or is this the main one?
Does rebooting your system help?

Has anyone else seen this issue?
May be it can't be seen too well in video, but just clicking on the clip made it jump up a track and over the other clip there.
I have a second monitor, but video is of my main monitor. I uninstalled the beta and reverted back 8.2.0, then thought of doing video clip next morning. So booted up re-installed beta and took video.
I have not had this happen on any other version of tracktion or waveform.
Unfortunately I am away now for a week. I do have another mouse I can try when I get home.
Cheers
Windows 10 / Intel core i7 2700k @ 3.50GHz / 16GB Ram / Emu 1212m Sound Card / Ati Radeon HD5400 Series G/Card

Was it present in 8.2.0 when you reverted or did you not get a chance to test before re-installing 8.2.3?

Everything worked as it should, scenario I installed beta, noticed problem, managed to try out randomize selected velocities, by eventually deleting all the clips, bar the drum midi part. Uninstalled beta/ installed 8.2.0 fired up,and all as it should be. Next day I decided on video re installed beta same problem shot vid.
Reverted back to 8.2.0 and all worked as it should.
Cheers

Well... before 8.2.0 I could only blame collective for the silence bug. But since 8.2.0, Waveform under Linux is simple not usable at all for me (as I have reported, one wrong click and it consumes the whole RAM). Now there is 8.2.3 and the problem is still there.

I wish you all the best, but my decision to get Tracktion bundle for Lunux version was wrong. 2 parts, one does not work right and another does not work at all. I have offered help in case something can not be reproduced (I do not believe that is the case, but still) and there was no interest. As a free software all that is super: a partially functioning toy with nice features. Sorry, but as commercial software that is just a joke.

Uhotug wrote:Well... before 8.2.0 I could only blame collective for the silence bug. But since 8.2.0, Waveform under Linux is simple not usable at all for me (as I have reported, one wrong click and it consumes the whole RAM). Now there is 8.2.3 and the problem is still there.

I wish you all the best, but my decision to get Tracktion bundle for Lunux version was wrong. 2 parts, one does not work right and another does not work at all. I have offered help in case something can not be reproduced (I do not believe that is the case, but still) and there was no interest. As a free software all that is super: a partially functioning toy with nice features. Sorry, but as commercial software that is just a joke.
Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems on Linux. I have a feeling that one report may have been lost in a thread related to another issue. Can I try and clear up what problems you're experiencing?

1. You are seeing a problem with Collective going silent after a short period of playback
2. You are seeing a problem where you click somewhere and all your system RAM is utilised by the app?

Wolfram, the synth developer is still looking in to (1). He's created a build with additional logging information and set that out to a few users who are experiencing the problem. He's now collecting the results and looking in to the problem.

For (2), could you perhaps start a new thread or email support@tracktion.com. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "one wrong click". Where are you clicking to see this problem? Is it in the plugin UI or directly in Waveform?

Also, for Linux, there are such a huge range of distros that we can't possibly test and support them all. For example, we've had people use Tracktion/Waveform on: Ubuntu 10,12,14,15,16,17, Ubuntu Studio, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, Arch Linux, Debian and Fedora.
Due to this fragmentation we can only officially support Ubuntu (16.04 for Waveform 8). However, as shown above, it is possible to run Waveform on other systems.

Tracktion crashes here by splitting audio files...

I don´t know, if you have changed anything in this regard but in this beta the waveforms getting actualized instantly after making changes to an audio clip while before it took (felt) ages...

But if I split/slice a larger audiofile by draggin the cursor then "/" draggin the cursor then "/" ...etc by being zoomed in vertically and horizontally Tracktion crashes/disapear without any note as soon as I scroll the cursor far enough to the right hand side...

As soon as scrolling starts, Tracktion just disappears...

EDIT: Just double checked:
-I need to make at least one split to make it crash
-it crashes as well, if I release the cursor before draggin again to make Tracktion scroll

EDIT 2:deleted... not true :-)

Trancit wrote:in this beta the waveforms getting actualized instantly after making changes to an audio clip while before it took (felt) ages...
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this? Are you saying something has improved or broken?
Trancit wrote: But if I split/slice a larger audiofile by draggin the cursor then "/" draggin the cursor then "/" ...etc by being zoomed in vertically and horizontally Tracktion crashes/disapear without any note as soon as I scroll the cursor far enough to the right hand side...

As soon as scrolling starts, Tracktion just disappears...

EDIT: Just double checked:
-I need to make at least one split to make it crash
-it crashes as well, if I release the cursor before draggin again to make Tracktion scroll

EDIT 2:deleted... not true :-)
Hmm, I'm not really seeing how I can replicate this? Could you perhaps post a short video of what you're doing to see the crash or some step by step instructions?

Also, as always with crash reports, could you upload or send us a log file? That should help us narrow down the problem and also give us vital system information (such as OS, architecture etc.).
You can get the log file by opening Waveform, clicking the "Help" button then "Show the Waveform log file".

Hopefully we can then replicate and fix the issue. Thanks.

dRowAudio wrote:
Trancit wrote:in this beta the waveforms getting actualized instantly after making changes to an audio clip while before it took (felt) ages...
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this? Are you saying something has improved or broken?
No, sorry, just noticed that this delay of the waveform actualization happens with audio files and "Auto tempo" enabled...
Wit this option off, the waveform rebuilds much much faster...
dRowAudio wrote: Hmm, I'm not really seeing how I can replicate this? Could you perhaps post a short video of what you're doing to see the crash or some step by step instructions?

Also, as always with crash reports, could you upload or send us a log file? That should help us narrow down the problem and also give us vital system information (such as OS, architecture etc.).
You can get the log file by opening Waveform, clicking the "Help" button then "Show the Waveform log file".

Hopefully we can then replicate and fix the issue. Thanks.
There are a couple of crash logs created... is there any e-mail, where I can send them to???

To recreate:
- Open standard 8 track template
- Load a normal wave file in track 1 and disable (if enabled) Auto Tempo
- double click the audio clip with setting toggle small and large height to maximise it vertically
- zoom in the waveform by mousewheel that the audio clip is larger than your screen, that you need to scroll to see the end...
- grab the cursor by mouse, drag it to i.e. the second beat and split the clip using "/"...
- drag now the cursor to the right hand side that Waveform starts to scroll...

This is the moment, when it just disappears here...

If you can still not recreate it, I´ll make a vid demonstrating...
Btw.: I am on win 8.1 64bit here...

Just to get sure... here is a little vid:

https://youtu.be/HD78TJvhQl4

dRowAudio wrote:
Uhotug wrote:Also, for Linux, there are such a huge range of distros that we can't possibly test and support them all. For example, we've had people use Tracktion/Waveform on: Ubuntu 10,12,14,15,16,17, Ubuntu Studio, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, Arch Linux, Debian and Fedora.
Due to this fragmentation we can only officially support Ubuntu (16.04 for Waveform 8). However, as shown above, it is possible to run Waveform on other systems.
Running stock Kubuntu 16.4 and all the latest versions here (Waveform 8.2.3, Collective 1.1.0, etc). The computer is a Dell Precision M3800. It is a workstation that was also available with Linux installed directly by the manufacturer. This hardware is very well supported by Linux.

Waveform is getting worse with every release. Now I can't even open any of the edits of my test project with Collective anymore. Waveform >= 8.2.0 just freezes on load, runs one CPU at 100% and chews up 100 MB RAM per second until it's running out of memory (or until I kill it). If I load an edit without Collective first and then the other one again then it works (still goes silent after a few seconds as always). But the edit without Collective now has a wrong screen layout, wrong markers, chopped down parts and a zeroed out master channel.

I thought that maybe it's happening because I mixed and matched several versions of Collective, Biotek and Waveform in this project's edits to get rid if the annoying Collective silence bug.

But then I created a fresh project and a simple edit with three simple Collective tracks using stock sounds. This one also went silent after a few seconds and after a restart this edit can't be loaded at all with 8.2.x, no matter what I do (also eats up memory like crazy with 1 CPU at 100%). Opening the edit with 8.1.2 works but the Collective tracks still only produce silence after a few beats.

Waveform runs fine with several u-he plugins, Redux and a few others that I've tested. Collective and BioTek work fine in Renoise as far as I can tell. Waveform and Collective running together is a complete failure here.

Return to “Tracktion”