Sidechain routing not saving/broken in the plugin rack wrapper

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yesterday i learned how to do sidechain in the rack plugin wrapper, and it's the only way for me because in my plugins (Izotope Neutron, Wavesfactory Trackspacer) dont´t show the option to sidechain in the upper left corner, only appears in FabFilter Pro-G. But when i save everything and close, the next time i open, the sidechain routing in the rack wrapper doesn´t appear and when trying to conect the inputs again it won't work. I wiil explain the problem with this images.

The thing i do is like a sidechain compresor but using an inverse EQ instead of compresion, to avoid frecuency masking between drum kick and bass.

So i configure this way:
This is how it looks when i open after saving, closing and reopen Waveform, AS YOU CAN SEE THE SIDECHAIN INPUT DISSAPEARED

First i RE-enable the input that will be used as sidechain

Then i configure the drum kick track as sidechain input

OK EVERYTHING IS CONFIGURED AND SHOULD WORK NOW, BUT IT WON'T, BECAUSE THE WRAPPER IS NOW BROKEN, IN THIS PICTURE AS YOU CAN SEE THE MIX IS BEING PLAYED BUT THE PLUGIN IS NOT PROCESING ANY SIGNAL.

TO FIX THIS I HAVE TO DELETE THE PLUGIN WRAPPER, INSERT A NEW RACK..DO ALL STEPS AGAIN. BUT THIS TIME THE WRAPPER WOULD NOT BE BROKEN BECAUSE IT'S A NEW RACK WRAPPER, THE PROBLEM HAPPEN WHEN REOPENING A SAVED EDIT. SO IF I CLOSE THE PROJECT AND OPEN IT AGAIN I WOULD HAVE THE SAME PROBLEN ONCE AGAIN AND AGAIN....FOR ETERNITY.

SO I DELETED THE RACK WRAPPER, INSERTED A NEW AND CONFIGURED TO SHOW YOU THAT WORKS AGAIN

As you can see the plugin is applyng an inverse EQ from one track to another to avoid Masking.
I think is not a hard bug to fix, just to fix a broken configuration in the wrapper when saving the edits. So i hope it would be fixed in the next beta, PLEASE! :D , by the way im using latest beta 8.2.3.
Quad Core | 16GB DDR4 | 240 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD | FLStudio ASIO | 1 GB Video | W10 x64

Does this only happen with Wavesfactory Trackspacer? It looks like the plugin isn't correctly re-initialising when the channel configuration is changed. Does pressing the panic "!" button in the transport area help re-active the plugin?

Also, if you add a plugin to a track and then configure its outputs, you should be able to use the side chain input there rather than having to use a Rack.

I just noticed that you're using the VST3 version. Can you try with the VST2 version and see if that performs as expected?

dRowAudio wrote:Does this only happen with Wavesfactory Trackspacer? It looks like the plugin isn't correctly re-initialising when the channel configuration is changed. Does pressing the panic "!" button in the transport area help re-active the plugin?

Also, if you add a plugin to a track and then configure its outputs, you should be able to use the side chain input there rather than having to use a Rack.
When trying to configure the extra input for sidechain, the input option is not available UNLESS I WRAP IN A RACK AN ISNTANCE OF THE PLUGIN

WHEN I WRAP AN INSTANCE OF THE PLUGIN, I CAN ADD AN EXTRA INPUT AND THE SIDECHAIN OPTION APPEARS ON THE PLUGIN WINDOW. BUT IT STILL WON'T SAVE
Last edited by rosesbyrosex on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quad Core | 16GB DDR4 | 240 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD | FLStudio ASIO | 1 GB Video | W10 x64

OK, THIS IS THE FULL DIAGNOSTIC:

When using VST3:
The sidechain channel doesn´t appear in the windows, but can be enabled:
WITHOUT RACK, you have to wrap in rack one plugin instance, that enables the option to add an extra input channel on all NON-RACK instances, then enabling the extra input channel also make the sidechain option appear on the plugin window.
USING PLUIGN RACK, open the rack, insert an extra input channel, (you can only add one extra input channel in VST3 as opposity of VST2 (two extra input channels)), then configure it as sidechain.
VST3 Conclusion: everything works in the first setup, but it won't save and the plugin will be broken the next time you open the project, so you have to delete it and configure again everytime 8c, and the panic button won't fix the problem.

When using VST2:
The sidechain option appears automatilcally in the plugin window, also in the plugin rack, two extra channels appear automatically (Left and Right of sidechain),
VST2 Conclusion: Everything works and the project saves correctly ONLY ON VST2

Conclusion:
There is something Broken in Tracktion VST3 io audio Busses (because i don´t think the VST3 plugins are broken, i saw them working fine in other DAWS), in VST2 everything works fine, so for the moment i'll stay on the vst2 version of my sidechain plugins.

Return to “Tracktion”