Ableton Link?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HI there, im not sure if this will come or is still there..didnt use waveform since a while..

Ableton Link would be very good for syncing with other Hard- and Software

best regards

Yes, Ableton Link does seem to be a very good synchronization solution. It's not trivial to add though and whilst it's still in its infancy it's difficult for us to prioritise it. Of course, if it gains a lot of backing on here or via support that could help push it up the priority list...

Any tech that makes it easier to use multiple devices in our multiple, cross-device world would be fantastic! Yes, of course there's network MIDI etc., but having used Ableton Link (without Ableton Live because... Waveform) on my iOS device(s), it's super convenient. I'd love to be able to more easily use my KORG iOS synths in Waveform... v2?

I'm in for Ableton Link. Would be great to see it in Waveform!

I think it's a great idea to support Link in Tracktion/Waveform too.
It's important to understand the idea behind it however, and be clearly aware what to expect from it.
The idea behind Link isn't to replace any positioning within a song, but rather to synchronize an arbitrary number of applications within a beat. Any sync information relates to positioning within a beat, not within a song. The advantage is that for pattern-based setups like Ableton Clips, this works very well. It can also work well if you have a DAW with a linear arrangement that you want to jam along with e.g. your iPad beatmaking app. The DAW will play your song from start to end, while the Link'ed app plays its looped pattern(s) every bar or 2 bars or whatever.
The disadvantage is that it's not really made for synchronizing e.g. two DAWs with linear arrangements, as this usually only makes sense if both timelines can be matched exactly.
Also, Link does not transmit any MIDI data, so if you plan to integrate a synth on a separate, WiFi-capable device, that synth better has its own sequencer or arpeggiator.
What's more: Any Link participant can be either master or slave. Becoming a member of a Link "group" means that your DAW better knows how to slave-sync its audio tracks to the Link clock.
Some DAWs solve that issue like this: Upon a large-enough tempo change, audio tracks are first stretched in realtime with lower quality, then during continued playback, higher quality stretched audio track versions are calculated in the background. When complete, playback switches to the higher quality versions.
Smaller tempo changes can often be handled by tiny crossfades at properly chosen positions...

was just curious if there are some news about ableton link... but i guess still not :-D ..it would be soo good to integrate that.
Another thing what could make waveform more attractive would be integrated iOS support like Studiomux does.. ok the OS X world now has IDAM, but its not that good..Windows guys could use Studiomux , but its not running with the current iOS 11.something. a nice iosRack-Filter and a little App called iosRack on the iPad or iPhone ..and that in combination with ableton link would be .. mmmmmmhhhh ..nice !! :-D.. a lot people would buy waveform just because of that!!!

The iOS-Device driver comes with iTunes ..so there would be need for the server and the iOS app. Damn that would be good..and the server just needs to start as you start Waveform.

Sorry, not yet. We've got some other things to look in to first but maybe some time in the summer...

dRowAudio wrote:Sorry, not yet. We've got some other things to look in to first but maybe some time in the summer...
Of course mobile musicians are secondary, but I think making Waveform more friendly to some of the budding "standards" (more on iOS as of now I believe) could help sell more product.

I wonder if you could bundle rtpMIDI in the Windows version as well. Things like that, as mobile devices will only become more and more like outboard hardware, capable of both MIDI and audio in and out. Some of the mobile synths are surpassing those on PCs - at least rivaling, and several companies are releasing their effects as well (e.g., Fabfilter, Audio Damage, etc.) - plus there's some really talented indie developers (e.g. Bram Bos).

:tu:

dRowAudio wrote:Sorry, not yet. We've got some other things to look in to first but maybe some time in the summer...
thanks for your answer... hope link at least will come :-)

honestly i found out that studiomux works with my iPad air 2 on iOS 11 ..just on the iPhone it doesnt work

Return to “Tracktion”