Is Waveform 8 development done?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really really really want to put some time in using Waveform as a potential main DAW, since I've switched to a 4K screen and it resizes. It looks and feels great on my monitor. As far as I know, FLStudio is the only other DAW that resizes, and I can't seem to wrap my head around its paradigm.

But I keep revisiting this forum, and the mods have been absent for a month now. Lots of mainstream VSTs are still broken in Waveform, and I haven't gotten past that to even find out if I care about the other broken bits that people here post about.

I get the strong impression that Tracktion is totally focused on getting Waveform 9 out of the door.

I understand the pressure to keep making new product. Gotta put food on the table.

But this seems self-destructive. Waveform has never gotten out of late beta, and leaving the core broken in order to be able to market the next New Thing seems like great way to get people to avert from your next New Thing. I didn't pay much for my copy, though I've bought multiple versions in the past. But I don't see any way to justify buying Waveform 9 until it's way past initial offering and gained a reputation for being solid. And it doesn't seem ethical to leave your customers behind with a broken product.

I really want this to have a happy ending. I want Tracktion to be awesome and successful. But I don't see how we get there from here.

Or am I totally misunderstanding what's going on with all this?

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

If you missunderstood something I do to.

I have a post here asking the same questions only in other words.

No answers.

Thanks for the count of weeks, really, month is gone, no one in hear.
But this seems self-destructive. Waveform has never gotten out of late beta, and leaving the core broken
Yes. and:
I really want this to have a happy ending. I want Tracktion to be awesome and successful.
YES

But I cant help remembering that there WAS a time when they just disappeared from one moment to another (other circumstances, I know, but...). For years.....

Lets hope....

Yes, the devs disappeared, heads down, when moving from 7 to 8. Given what's been said/hinted at here in this forum, I'd expect the same to have happened (plus holidays). T5 was sort of a "beta" to me. I've come to think of 8 the same way. And I'm OK with that, and I'll buy 9 because I want them to continue.

Cakewalk closed up shop (a la Gibson), which makes me sad as that was the first DAW I used for years before discovering Tracktion - pre Sonar stuff. I do NOT want Tracktion Corp to go the same way!! It's a small company, and it's hard to get everything nailed down 100% in every "full" version, even after 6+ months.

got Waveform 8 now ... it seems it behaves a bit better than T7. The pattern generator stuff is nice - more chord options would desireable though.

good that one can just ignore Collective and need not to install it. IMHO they should have an offer (especially upgrade path) that does not include Collective.

I hope we get out of beta before being asked to move to W9 ....

best

I feel like I'm done ....

Mods read all the posts :)

We are heads down and busy at the moment - dev on Waveform 8 is ongoing for bug fixes

If you have instability, contact our support team and they will work with you to fix any issue - we can review log files and advise what is causing any crashes etc

If the problem involves a plugin, it may require the input from the plugin vendor to fix (plugin code is extremely diverse and surprisingly dubious at times) - we are always happy to reach out and work with those willing/able to contribute (some are not receptive to additional engineering tasks)

If the problem is not a plugin related issue and we can verify it, it gets fixed - usually within a day or two....
Tracktion Software Corporation

Waveform 8 works remarkable well with most plugins. The two most notable exceptions are Collective and BioTek...

Indeed, that' what makes all this sad. I bought WF for my Linux laptop (using Cakewalk on Windows, hahaha, joke's on me I know, seems everything I touch gets in limbo...) and well, I can't use it because there's just no synth that works. Well, Helm does, tbh.
Anyway, long story short, I'm using Bitwig. Costly, but hey, it works.
I did try my best to stir up a bit of interest and make a helpful community, but this seems hard too. I just don't know. Anyway we'll see WF9. maybe.

Benutzername wrote:Waveform 8 works remarkable well with most plugins. The two most notable exceptions are Collective and BioTek...
Well they don't work particularly well in any host so at least it's not the exception :)

Benutzername wrote:Waveform 8 works remarkable well with most plugins. The two most notable exceptions are Collective and BioTek...
Are you running Waveform 8 on Mac? I tried it with Windows 7, 10 and Linux Mint 8 and none of them are running stable.

I'm running it on Windows 10 and it has never crashed. I don't use any exotic plugins though.

waveform 32bit in win8 is pretty stable here too. it's most always plugins that make it crash, but with a little care in that regard it works fine.

It's not only a question of crashing, but also of instruments/presets not loading in Collective or Biotek.

I get alot of buffer underruns and overruns meaning pops and clicks when using Collective or Biotek ... Probably just my system but I don't have these problems like these with older VST synths and sampler plugins ...

Not trying to knock waveform but if you have access to reason essentials 10( or possibly 9.5) I found that seems to be a good workaround, it helped me out when some sounds in collective weren't triggering inside waveform. although biotek did choke pretty badly so I think a system with plenty of headroom in the RAM department is in order...hm that reminds me, I should treat myself this Christmas and upgrade my setup.
Music is the language of the soul.

The best music comes from the heart of the performer or composer.

Return to “Tracktion”