Midi Input issue in Tracktion Waveform (Roli Seabord)

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone!
This is my first journey in the music world, so I'm at a basic level here. I just purchased a Roli Seabord Block (it's super funny to use, and since I had a little extra..). It works fine, BUT.. I can't get it to work with Waveform. I followed step for step the guide on Roli website (https://support.roli.com/article/using- ... -waveform/) but I got stuck when I need to select the Seabord as a Midi Input Device. You're suppose to click on the red X and turn it green, but it doesn't work for me. I just can't get Waveform to activate the Roli as a Midi input device. It's a known bug? Becuase I jsut downloaded the latest version on a brend new laptot.. Is there any way I can use this piece of software?

Oh, before i forgot: the seabord block is usb wired.

Thanks in advance.
Alessandro
Last edited by krell on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I've just tried in my desktop pc (windows 10, everything is up to date) and the problem is still here, even here. So it's either a Windows 10 problem (across multiple devices) or a Traction Waveform problem (across multiple device).
Now, I've read that windows 10 has problem regarding Midi keyboard detecting, but I can Play sound using equator sw, so the seabord is actually recognized by both of my pcs (a desktop and a dell xps 15). Qould anyone suggest me something? I've too new to this world to figure it out sadly.

As far as I'm aware, there should be no problems with Waveform. Are there drivers for the roli? are they installed?
I dont know the roli so commenting a bit blind.
Try these dumb but sometimes work things. Switch off computer unplug roli re start computer, plug in roli wait till computer recognizes it then fire up Tracktion/Waveform.
Is it showing up in the control surfaces? If it is try selecting it there.
Other than that I've got nothing, Sorry
Windows 10 / Intel core i7 2700k @ 3.50GHz / 16GB Ram / Emu 1212m Sound Card / Ati Radeon HD5400 Series G/Card

It shouldn't be a Tracktion problem because all the Roli software is based on the Juce stuff, same as Waveform. There are other Roli users on here from time to time. Might get help a little sooner if you amend the thread title so it says "MIDI and Roli" in the middle.
Last edited by jabe on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

First of all, thank you for our kind answer.
terrynoakes wrote:As far as I'm aware, there should be no problems with Waveform. Are there drivers for the roli? are they installed?
I dont know the roli so commenting a bit blind.
Try these dumb but sometimes work things. Switch off computer unplug roli re start computer, plug in roli wait till computer recognizes it then fire up Tracktion/Waveform.
Is it showing up in the control surfaces? If it is try selecting it there.
Other than that I've got nothing, Sorry
I've tried that, it's of no help :( The Roli Seabord is showing, but I can't "arm it" as an input..
jabe wrote:It shouldn't be a Tracktion problem because all the Roli software is based on the Juce stuff, same as Waveform. There are other Roli users on here from time to time. Might get help a little sooner if you amend the thread title so it says "MIDI and Roli" in the middle.
Yeah, you're right. Should I (can I?) open another topic with a more suitable title?

By the way I think the problem is with Traction Waveform itself. A frined of mine came this morning to help mi figuring out all of this, and while he didn't help with Waveform, he was able to set me the seabord with ableton live, and everything is fine. So this is going to make me think it's not a problem of Roli nor Windows, at this point.

Is it a MIDI driver problem? Sometimes some Windows MIDI devices don't allow you to open it in more than one application at once.
Can you try ensuring you have all other software (including Equator, BLOCKS Dashboard, any other hosts etc.) closed and try again?

When you say it won't open or be assigned to an input? Do you get an error message when you press the "X Disabled" button in the MIDI Devices settings page to try and enable it?

krell wrote:Yeah, you're right. Should I (can I?) open another topic with a more suitable title?
If you edit the first post on a thread you started, it'll let you alter the title.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

dRowAudio wrote:Is it a MIDI driver problem? Sometimes some Windows MIDI devices don't allow you to open it in more than one application at once.
Can you try ensuring you have all other software (including Equator, BLOCKS Dashboard, any other hosts etc.) closed and try again?

When you say it won't open or be assigned to an input? Do you get an error message when you press the "X Disabled" button in the MIDI Devices settings page to try and enable it?
It's showing me the seabord block, I mean I can see it in the input devices list. The problem is it say "Couldn't Open the MIDI port". In 2 different computer..
This is what it looks like.

Ok, thanks to Dave, a person from Tracktion Support, I figure it out. I feel like I've been very dumb. I don't know why, but basically you have to "tickle" off this setting if it say "Could'nt open the MIDI port".
Problem solved, very silly on my part. Thanks everyone for the support!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks for posting the solution to this for others to see.

Just to add a little further information, it is intended that BLOCKS work with this option turned on but there appears to be a problem on Windows allowing two connections to the same MIDI device (one required for the MIDI input, one required for the BLOCKS program sending). We're working with the ROli team to hopefully remedy this in the future.

For the Seaboard block however, this "Take control of blocks" option is unlikely to make much of a difference. It just sends a default MPE zone layout setup to the Seaboard but it's likely it has this anyway.

hi everyone, sorry but where is the solution? I have the same problem! Thanks

outsider88 wrote:hi everyone, sorry but where is the solution? I have the same problem! Thanks
This post (that I'll quote below) it's the solution. Basically you have to un-check that particular setting (the one the arrow are pointing) and then you'll be able to use your midi/seabord as an input device. Well, at least this was the solution for me. At Tracktion they're quite fast to help you out
krell wrote:Ok, thanks to Dave, a person from Tracktion Support, I figure it out. I feel like I've been very dumb. I don't know why, but basically you have to "tickle" off this setting if it say "Could'nt open the MIDI port".
Problem solved, very silly on my part. Thanks everyone for the support!!

Return to “Tracktion”