Announcing Waveform 9 Public Beta

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the new options in the chord editor are very welcome!

while testing these, i found a graphical bug in the chord track:
when the chord-clip is less than a bar long (half a bar in my case), the arrows on the right side of the clip are not available anymore, they get "cut out" when the clip is shortened. to access their functionality (which is not available anywhere else on the properties panel, why not?), i have to make it one bar long, edit what i want and then shorten it again.

klangbastler wrote:which is not available anywhere else on the properties panel, why not?
Good point, I'll add this to the 'todo' list. It's unlikely this will be fixed for launch, but I'll try and get to it in an early patch.

Bring back the bendy arrows :)

dRowAudio wrote:This could well be something to do with VirtualBox.
What's the performance like on the system which VirtualBox is running on?
This is same openSUSE TW, where I get same high CPU load. So, maybe some calls (or whatever) loads host and guest due paravirtualisation.

Probably I'll test it in VB on windows host.

I've run 9.0.32 under Ubuntu 16.04 on Virtualbox on another machine with Win7 host. Got same high CPU load.

What I mean is that adding the VirtualBox VM layer could be causing the slowdown. I wouldn't really recommend using a DAW for any serious use in a VM.

I don't know how VirtualBox performs these days but a few years ago when I was testing it out for development, it was far slower than using Parallels so I've used that ever since.

There will always be a performance hit from using a VM. Unless this is also happening on the host machine, this isn't really a supported workflow.

Oh, I see. My first two "tests": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2#p7003622 and http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2#p7004072 were on real PC with different versions openSUSE.
Last two - I checked officially supported Ubuntu 16.04, in VBox, yes. Ok, next turn will be Ubuntu 16.04 on real PC.

Thanks, Ubuntu 16.04 on a real machine is really the only thing we can actually investigate (that setup has also been reported as fine by several other users on here).

Ironically, on one of the dev forums somone was investigating a performance issue: https://forum.juce.com/t/difference-in- ... 8-10/26421

It turned out copying a file within the VM was around ~180 times slower...

I've messed around with VirtualBox, and agree that it is not well suited for audio performance, while it is great for hosting obsolete operating systems.

A good use case may be if you have some older project files that were created with a DAW app that only runs on an OS that is not currently supported. So you install that old OS as a guest VM, then install the legacy DAW, and open your old project files in order to export the Audio/MIDI files you may be interested in keeping.

But trying to run audio in real-time that way? No way... yet, anyhow...
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I know that VBox is not suitable for DAW. I just trying to narrow issue field, and I haven't Ubuntu installed on real machine right now.

Kott wrote:I know that VBox is not suitable for DAW. I just trying to narrow issue field, and I haven't Ubuntu installed on real machine right now.
If you know VBox is not suitable for a DAW, why test a DAW in VBox, then report it doesn't perform well?
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

chico.co.uk wrote:
Kott wrote:I know that VBox is not suitable for DAW. I just trying to narrow issue field, and I haven't Ubuntu installed on real machine right now.
If you know VBox is not suitable for a DAW, why test a DAW in VBox, then report it doesn't perform well?
Why you asking?

Kott wrote:
chico.co.uk wrote:
Why you asking?
Because it's a waste of time for everybody involved, and I'd prefer the devs to not waste time telling people who claim to know they shouldn't test daws in vm environments, that they shouldn't test daws in vm environments, especially when the tester doesn't explicitly state from the outset that's what they're doing.

I'd rather effort was spent working on things that weren't a waste of everybody's time.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

If you read my posts, then you (maybe) see, that I run Waveform9 on real hardware and have real issue.
Your posts doesn't helps resolve that issue, so, please, go.

WF 9 expired :(

do you have a release-day already? :)

Return to “Tracktion”