Update policy wf9/Biotek 2

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Interesting discussion on here, there's lots of pricing schemes possible and lots of DAWs doing different things.

I'd like to point out a couple of things that seem to have been misinterpreted though.
• If you purchased the "+" or "Ultimate" bundles any number of years ago and only want to update your W8 to W9, you don't have to pay the +/Ultimate upgrade price shown on the website. The products that have not been changed (BioTek/DAW Essentials etc.) don't count towards the upgrade price so you only need to pay the DAW upgrade price of $50 (because you already own the rest of the +/Ultimate bundle)
• The upgrade pricing shown in that image is if you have T7/Waveform Basic etc. and want to update to +/Ultimate bundles (i.e. you can still take advantage of the bundle pricing and don't have to pay the $150 + $150 prices for BioTek and DAW Essentials)
• Although we don't tend to add major features within our yearly release cycle, we do add major features every year. I've mentioned this before but if you compare our pricing with some other DAWs we still come out cheaper:
[quote=dRowAudio]Remember that we only increased our prices this year so if you purchased T4 in 2013 and upgraded every year you would have paid:
$60 + $30 + $30 + $30 + $50 = $200/€170.

(That's without mentioning we run frequent sales/upgrade prices and offer a completely free version of the DAW :wink:)[/quote]
Similarly BitWig was $399 and the update $169 (that's per year) so that's $568 for 4.5 years worth of updates.

At the end of the day pricing is complex and it's impossible to compare across brands as each DAW comes with different components and is appropriate for different tasks. What maybe amazing value to one customer isn't for another simply because they don't use all the tools available or that come with the bundle.

We always try to offer the best value to everyone and since T6 was released 3 years ago we've offered a completely free version of the DAW so you don't have to spend anything to use Tracktion!

As Woody mentioned, if you've bought several products at different times, the standard upgrade pricing on the website might not reflect what you're eligible for. We are working to improve this but feel free to ping us an email and we'll let you know what offers/deals are available to you.

TSC wrote:The bundles work great for new customers joining the platform, but for multi generational users ...
I disagree. Grand-father did not play Biotek.

By the way, are the Retro Mod instruments a Waveform/Mac/Windows thing only or will they also be available as VSTs running on Linux ?

Cheers.

If its not to difficult and to much work maybe it would be a good solution if you just could have an individually calculated upgrade offer in your account, like the "my special offer" we have already for the melodyne.

That would be a good idea if the complexity wasn't so large. The problem is that over the years the bundles have changed and the number of products someone has can vary so hugely. Add to this what they might want to upgrade to and there are dozens of possibilities.

This is something we're looking in to however and we might be able to add a "Complete my bundle" kind of offer. This would probably cover most people.

add a "Complete my bundle" kind of offer
:tu:

Being an owner of several DAW's I can tell you that the pricing on Tracktion/Waveform has always been extremely fair. I'm especially excited about the release of version 9 and will gladly pay the upgrade price if only to support what Tracktion Co. is doing.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

jjpscott01 wrote:Being an owner of several DAW's I can tell you that the pricing on Tracktion/Waveform has always been extremely fair. I'm especially excited about the release of version 9 and will gladly pay the upgrade price if only to support what Tracktion Co. is doing.
That is exactly my opinion.
Development and Support takes time and money, and I like to pay for it.
I don’t speak English, but this very well :D

jjpscott01 wrote:Being an owner of several DAW's I can tell you that the pricing on Tracktion/Waveform has always been extremely fair. I'm especially excited about the release of version 9 and will gladly pay the upgrade price if only to support what Tracktion Co. is doing.
After a very brief look at the beta and namm previews, W8 does what I need it to do, most of the added features in W9 I probably wouldn't use.
I personally feel it is moving away from Jules original vision of a guitarist friendly T1 daw. But I guess thats understandable, they need to keep up with the Jones's :)
But having said that, I will upgrade, just to support TSC.
It is the only daw I could get my head around, probably says more about me than Tracktions competition though :D
Windows 10 / Intel core i7 2700k @ 3.50GHz / 16GB Ram / Emu 1212m Sound Card / Ati Radeon HD5400 Series G/Card

TSC wrote:We noticed subscription models are really popular - would you like us to go that route ;)
Rent-to-own is at least a very fair and popular method, which is coming up more and more...

I think Tracktion's pricing scheme is very fair.

For comparison, just take a look at what Ableton is charging their loyal customers for an upgrade to Live Suite 10.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:I think Tracktion's pricing scheme is very fair.

For comparison, just take a look at what Ableton is charging their loyal customers for an upgrade to Live Suite 10.
But to be fair, for this price you get 13 top class instruments, 41 very good fx (incl. The Glue, which is on it´s own already $99,-), 15 Midi FX, over 70 GB of samples and Max for Live (which full version is again $399,-) with tons of included and free instruments, FX, midi FX...

Not a good idea to compare these 2... Waveform is a great product (and V9 is really a very big step up) but value/money ratio isn´t the best, if I have to pay i.e. another $100,- to get a few FX from them...

Trancit wrote:
zzz00m wrote:I think Tracktion's pricing scheme is very fair.

But to be fair, for this price you get 13 top class instruments, 41 very good fx (incl. The Glue, which is on it´s own already $99,-), 15 Midi FX, over 70 GB of samples and Max for Live (which full version is again $399,-) with tons of included and free instruments, FX, midi FX...

Not a good idea to compare these 2... Waveform is a great product (and V9 is really a very big step up) but value/money ratio isn´t the best, if I have to pay i.e. another $100,- to get a few FX from them...
The thing here is that I will never give Ableton that extra money. Live Standard has all that I need for that type of DAW.

But I will keep buying everything that Tracktion turns out, to provide continued support for a small company that has created a very useful product, and I wish to see continued development. Waveform has some features that you cannot find anywhere else.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: But I will keep buying everything that Tracktion turns out, to provide continued support for a small company that has created a very useful product, and I wish to see continued development. Waveform has some features that you cannot find anywhere else.
Same for me...

Yeah me too. Waveform is an excellent value all around. Version 9 will be a good release for them if the stability in the beta is any indication.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

You cant compare Waveform and Ableton.
Ableton has the tightest HW integration out here
Waveform is on the other side, but give us posibility of automatic mapping macros to midi (via javascript) and the story will be different 8)

Return to “Tracktion”