Multi-track Editing Workflow Requests

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AGreen wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
I'd hate this if it was the only option.

When I do multitrack edits, it's because I have a single instrument that's recorded to a number of tracks. Edits often happen relative to other tracks at various times.

Having to constantly switch out 'reference tracks' would be annoying.

The option to instantly hide/show an edit group would be great though.
Yes, I understand this, but reference tracks could be selected in advance of entering multitrack edit mode and still be visible in multitrack edit mode. They would be excluded from edits themselves though. I only suggested this method because it eliminates the problem of non-contiguous tracks. Sometimes a reference track can be a large number of tracks away and not easy to see and then you have the hassle of hiding all those tracks in between to see the reference.
Yes, I totally agree that non-contiguous tracks are a hassle.

Waveform already has ghost tracks though, so I think this idea is redundant.

I'd prefer if the multitrack grouping method allowed full-group ghost track settings or per-track ghost track settings.

That way you can easily set a ghost track for your group, change it for the group, or temporarily change the ghost track for a single track in the group.

Robert Randolph wrote:

I'd prefer if the multitrack grouping method allowed full-group ghost track settings or per-track ghost track settings.

That way you can easily set a ghost track for your group, change it for the group, or temporarily change the ghost track for a single track in the group.
Sure, but my reference track idea is broader than that. Say you've got two drum tracks that you'd like to use to quantise other audio using beats from both tracks. By setting both drum tracks as reference tracks they can be used to quantise other audio clips simultaneously, once beat detection has been carried out. The reference tracks can act as references for multiple editing functions not just as visible guides.

Software muy inestable.

- El software se bloquea cuando se duplican solo 20 o 40 audio clips que se debe repetir mas adelante en una cancion. Creo que es porque no tiene un control correcto con los plugins terceros.

- El Snap en midi no acerca con certeza a la cuadricula. toma mucho tiempo corregir o arreglar melodias en midi.

- Se pone lenta la interface del software cuando se utilizan plugins de terceros, cosa que en fl studio y studio one no me sucede.

- todos los dias trabajo canciones pero con este daw me hace tardar mas de la cuenta, el flujo de trabajo es mucho mejor en "fl studio" y "studio one".

-me gusta el sonido, fue el motivo de mi compra de WF9. Pero parece que no es un doftware para hacer canciones completas, que exigen tener 2 a 5 plugins en canales de 40 a 60 pistas.

-Mi Pc es potente, ram 16 GB, i7 6700HQ, Nvidia GEFORCE GTX.

-Si se arreglan estos errores, definitivamente supera a muchos daws.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AGreen wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:

Sure, but my reference track idea is broader than that. Say you've got two drum tracks that you'd like to use to quantise other audio using beats from both tracks. By setting both drum tracks as reference tracks they can be used to quantise other audio clips simultaneously, once beat detection has been carried out. The reference tracks can act as references for multiple editing functions not just as visible guides.
Oh, you're talking about snapping references?

Robert Randolph wrote:

Yes, I'm talking about the concept that track(s) or clip(s) can be designated as a references by clicking a button on them and then used as the basis for further editing tasks such as quantising. A bit like Studio Ones drag and drop of a clip in to it's quantising window for use as the quantise reference, but more flexible because multiple tracks/clips can be selected.

AGreen wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:

Yes, I'm talking about the concept that track(s) or clip(s) can be designated as a references by clicking a button on them and then used as the basis for further editing tasks such as quantising. A bit like Studio Ones drag and drop of a clip in to it's quantising window for use as the quantise reference, but more flexible because multiple tracks/clips can be selected.
Oh yes, that'd be fantastic, however I think that lies outside the the purview of multitrack editing.

Having various snapping reference sources would be a great integration in to waveform.

Robert Randolph wrote:
Steve Bolivar wrote:Something I miss from my Sonar days is Control Groups. At its most simple you can group track volume faders together without having to put them together in a folder, or group track mutes together but invert them so as one track is muted the other is un-muted - a great way to A/B mics, or inverse link the pans of two tracks to collapse or expand the stereo image if you don't want to combine them into a stereo track and use a plugin. Sorry if this is already in Waveform, but I did a search in the manual for groups and links as well as going through any chapters I thought it may be in but couldn't find anything.
You can already do this in Waveform with macro parameters and racks.

Edit: I'll write a post about this tomorrow and include some presets. :party:
I'm having to delay this post because I found a bug with how Waveform imports rack presets. This will have to wait until that's fixed...

Until then, I wrote a little thing (external script, not Waveform script) that let's me auto-generate racks...

So I can do things like this :borg:

Fascinating Jim...

Do tell Robert, what script, in what app and WTH is this rack?!

:o

PierreG wrote:Fascinating Jim...

Do tell Robert, what script, in what app and WTH is this rack?!

:o
I'll start another thread about it later... this is a bit off-topic for this thread.

One more time - Thank You Robert!

Wow! That reminds me of a crazy demo for the old Emagic Logic 2.5 "environment", except better looking.

Return to “Tracktion”