some suggestions for BIo-Tek

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

-Quick suggestion about the filter fm ...ability to choose osc's as filter fm source without being part of the summed output
As it is know , the summed output of all osc's affect filter fm .

-Also ..ability to drag/re-arrange effects blocks
-Feedback routing for fm operators
-Casio Phase distortion
-BIgger envelopes ..they are a mayor pita when having multiple breakpoints ...perhaps a vertical drag zoomin/out feature
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Hi Gentleclockdivider,

all suggestions noted (some of them were on my list already anyway). However, I won't promise that all of them find their way into BioTek.

Regarding Phase Distortion: you can already simulate part of it with the "Sync Pitch" feature of the oscillators. The only thing missing is the windowing, i.e. getting rid of the hard edges at the end of the base pitch cycle. You can simulate this as well in BioTek, though not exactly, but I promise you'll have a lot of fun with it:

Start with a Default sound. Set Osc 1 and 2 to Sine, make sure they are both tuned to the same exact pitch and set both Start Phases to 360° to keep both phases in sync. Turn their levels completely down and Ring Mod fully up.
Now use Osc 1 Sync Pitch to simulate the phase distortion behaviour of the Casio synths. Change it statically or modulate it with an envelope, LFO, velocity or whatever you like. You might fiddle around with Saturation, Symmetry and Shape of Osc 1 to change the timbre of the oscillator further. You might also change Osc 2 Symmetry, but do it carefully to not introduce too many harsh sidebands. If you want to thicken the sound, better use a Chorus effect than using Unison, since all oscillator phases start at 360° (aka: 0°), which would introduce a typcial flanging at note start.

The sine wave in Osc 2 takes care of the windowing. On real PD, this would have been achieved by a falling ramp from 1 to 0 multiplied with the oscillator signal to get rid of the discontinuities that happen at the end of the waveform cycle. The sine wave here changes the timbre more than a simple downward ramp since it oscillates between +1 and -1 but it offers great timbres nevertheless.

Have fun!

Wolfram

Thanks for listening .
I already knew about how to achieve some kind of phase distortion.
BUt I am talking about real casio cz style phase distortion , fake resonance etc..., 2 waveforms after each
Different kind of windowing methods , triangular , ramp etc..

Nice to have a dialogue with a living legend like you :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Thank you for the warm words.

I understood what you mean by real CZ style phase distortion, I only wanted to give you some sound creation ideas that mimick this synthesis, especially the fake resonance stuff.

Wolfram

Return to “Tracktion”