Live looping two instruments with midi controller in Waveform 9? And sending midi to multiple tracks

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I'd like to:
1. play first instrument, start looping it
2. play second instrument, start looping it
3. stop looping first instrument to play it live, while loop of second instrument continues
4. control looping with midi controller
5. be able to play either instrument over the loops

Waveform's looping seems to only apply to all tracks, so 3 isn't possible. And I don't see a way to use midi learn to control record/play so 4 isn't doable.

With plugins: If I have the looping plugin on the same track as the instrument plugin, the looping plugin mutes any further notes from the instrument once the loop starts playing. Waveform only lets me have the midi controller control one track at a time, but I want to be able to play the instrument while the loop is repeating. Tried putting the looping plugin on a separate track and having that track's input be midi or audio from the first track. Midi shows nothing, even when I add the instrument plugin in front of the looping plugin. Audio bar shows input, but the looping plugin (tested with Instaloop) doesn't record anything. Or maybe other plugins will work better?

Any advice?

Edit:
On second thought, I could achieve 3 and 5 by stopping playback/recording of the first instrument. But I guess I can't do that with a midi controller? Or maybe there's a way to script that within Waveform?...

I've seen videos of guys doing something like this in Ableton Live in Live's session view.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Have you tried using racks to play 2 plugins at once, with the same controller? I.e. create a rack that routes midi to an instance of both plugins.
To use midi to control playback/transport you may be able to create a custom control surface, but not sure if that prevents you using that midicontroller as a regular recording device. You could always buy a cheap control surface for this purpose, or make sure you have a keyboard in reach and set up some custom shortcuts.
Not sure any of this helps you much, just some ideas. I feel like Tracktion isn't really set up to be a performance tool like say, Ableton Live is. It's close though - I feel like the underutilized marker clips, could be useful for this kind of thing (eg. if you could easily loop on marker clips, and transition seamlessly from one section of a track to another)

Return to “Tracktion”