Transient Shaping: What do you want?

Official support for: lvcaudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am working on my next plugin. It is a transient shaping plugin. I know that there are already a bunch of transient shaping plugins, but I do have a good reasons for doing this.

My plans so far are to include:
* Mid/Side processing
* Side chain controls (including external input and filtering)
* Oversampling

What other features should be included? What is missing from other transient plugins? Incidentally, multiband is on the list, but probably sometime after the initial release.

Also, if you want to see some more news on the plugin, I have two separate posts on my site at http://lvcaudio.com/startingagain/ and http://lvcaudio.com/whats-next/ that discuss the new plugin in more detail.

Competetive pricing, like Clip Shifter :love:
Judging from your previous creation (Clip Shifter is a masterpiece), this is going to be a hell of a tool.
To me the most important "feature" by far is easiness on cpu, so i can use lots of instances of it in any project.

KVRians, show some love to this developer and his awesome plugin(s) :)

Well, I can promise on delivering those things (I think).

The CPU usage is comparable to ClipShifter. On my laptop (AMD A8 with 6GB RAM), I get CPU usage around 1.1% when using Transector in Reaper. Of course, oversampling will increase this number. Just like ClipShifter, my plan is to begin optimizing some of the algorithms after the initial release. I can't promise anything, but the CPU usage should go down a little in version 1.1.

I will price it fairly, but I am aiming a little higher than ClipShifter. Right now, I am looking at a price that is a little over $30 USD. I hope that still is considered fair.

I am really excited about the release. I know that there may be some bugs to squash right after the release, but I am already looking into enhancements. I have promised to update ClipShifter with some changes (i.e., more flexible eq, better GUI layout), but I am looking forward to adding more...even though Transector is already a beast (IMHO) in terms of buttons and features.

ferez21 wrote:KVRians, show some love to this developer and his awesome plugin(s) :)
This is me if there would be a cheaper intro price:

I did forget to mention a discount price for purchasing both plugins (or for purchasing Transector after already purchasing ClipShifter).

What would I want?
Apart from gain control, I'd love to see transient shaping in other ways too like filtering and distortion/saturation. In particular for the attack phase.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Timfonie wrote:What would I want?
Apart from gain control, I'd love to see transient shaping in other ways too like filtering and distortion/saturation. In particular for the attack phase.
Great idea. Consider the saturation piece "done" for the next revision.
I have been working on a good saturation algorithm, and I think I got something that should work nicely with Transector. I don't have an exactly timeline for the next release, but it should hopefully be within the next few weeks.

Nice! :-)
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

random_id wrote: Great idea. Consider the saturation piece "done" for the next revision.
I have been working on a good saturation algorithm, and I think I got something that should work nicely with Transector. I don't have an exactly timeline for the next release, but it should hopefully be within the next few weeks.
Looking at my own response, I realize that I might be off by a few weeks (or months). :wink:
That being said, I think I am really close to a new Transector (including saturation and clipping for the attack phase, and more "stereo" tools). Just a little more testing and editing the manual. Stay tuned...

if you could get the attack sounding nice - or with different curves - that would be cool...I like the shaack audio one where the attack is good - compared to the Native Instruments Transient master where the attack sounds hard and blocky...I dont know if there is a way to make the attack sound more analogue...when I had a real SPL TD2 the attack was much more pleasant - whereas plugins often sound spikey...

Aside from that - having a build in clipper and or saturator would be great...I was recently using Clip Shifter after Shaack audio transient designer...to control the peaks generated...

Ive tried multiband TD and Im not mad about them - I prefer single band and keep things simple...

Thats if for me...nice attacks with variable slopes/curves...saturator and clipper... :tu:
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

Yeah, the attack and release is a challenge. Getting something that sounds smooth is pretty difficult.

I think I have a pretty good balance now. I moved things to the "decibel domain", much like a compressor. This should sound more natural. I am also still using a button (AVG Mode) to choose the calculation method for the various attack and release envelopes. When the button is engaged, the changes are much smoother. When disengaged, things get pretty weird (in a good way, I think).

I still want Transector to be a tool that people can push to the extreme. Most other transient tools have minimal settings. I have tried to minimize all of the clicks, pops, etc., but I still want people to be able to use Transector for whatever crazy ideas they have.

In my tests, I have really relied on the mix control. I have them on all of my plugins, but I believe Transector needs it the most. You can totally obliterate the signal by exaggerating the attack and cutting all of the release, and then use the mix control to make it more natural.

I am also really liking the saturation and clipping controls on the attack phase. I think it really lets you add emphasis to the attack, without drastically changing the volume.

I am working on the manual now, so a release should be pretty soon.

Return to “LVC-Audio”