Preamp simulator suggestions

Official support for: lvcaudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was working on a compressor plugin, and then got side-tracked. I started to put together a bunch of different algorithms to emulate preamps. This includes the typical EQ curves, saturation, crosstalk, etc. Overall, I have close to 40 separate parameters that distinguish each model.

Now, I am getting close to a release of the plugin, and I want to make sure there aren't any other features that I should include. I will list the current features below. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Current features:
  • - 13 preamp models
    - 4 band EQ (high and low shelf, 2 peak filters with adjustable Q)
    - Drive and input trim
    - Saturation control
    - switchable noise control
    - switchable oversampling (2X)
    - Stereo balance, width, and M/S processing
    - Output clip-style protection
    - Phase reversal and L/R swap

The only thing that springs to mind is pre/post emphasis filtering. Something I like to do is run a distortionator sandwiched between a pair of RIAA filters. Gets you a nice airy high end saturation but doesn't smudge out the bottom end. Would just be a one control job I reckon. Either switching between some preset filters or a (strong) tilt-type sweep.

That thing looks like a beast, by the way. Watching with interest.

I don't have any suggestion... Can't wait to try it though!

theodore_whitmore wrote:The only thing that springs to mind is pre/post emphasis filtering. Something I like to do is run a distortionator sandwiched between a pair of RIAA filters. Gets you a nice airy high end saturation but doesn't smudge out the bottom end. Would just be a one control job I reckon. Either switching between some preset filters or a (strong) tilt-type sweep.

That thing looks like a beast, by the way. Watching with interest.
This is a great idea. I like it.
I have been thinking that I might make a spin-off of my PreAMPed plugin specifically for saturation/distortion. It would have at least one crossover point, with separate saturation controls: not necessarily a multi-band distortion plugin, more like separate controls to dial-in the desired saturation sound.

I played around with a lot of very interesting saturation algorithms in creating PreAMPed. Although you can't switch between the algorithms in PreAMPed, I was thinking that this would be a nice feature for a saturation plugin. PreAMPed also multiple attack and release controls for the saturation levels to give it "memory." I was also planning on including these as user controlled settings.

So if you can wait, the answer is yes (but in another plugin).

theodore_whitmore wrote:The only thing that springs to mind is pre/post emphasis filtering...
Forget what I said before.
I had a suggestion from one of my testers regarding the same thing. I played around with the saturation a little, and placed a high pass filter control that just effects the extra saturation. So you can do exactly what you were saying: add more saturation to the top end. It sounds good so far with my tests.

Return to “LVC-Audio”