Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
random_id
KVRist

279 posts since 30 Apr, 2006, from lancaster, pa

Postby random_id; Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:53 am Limiter: Opinions Wanted, Inquire Within

LVC-Audio is currently working within the realm of limiters and compressors. The limiter is getting closer to fruition, and an eventual release. What are your opinions on what a mastering/buss limiter needs to have? What controls, options, and features?

For example, should it just have an output VU and reduction meter (similar to HotPhuzz and TonedPLUS), or a full history view like PreAMPed, ClipShifter, and Transector?
manducator
KVRAF

1863 posts since 10 Feb, 2007

Postby manducator; Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am Re: Limiter: Opinions Wanted, Inquire Within

The full history view would make it unique (well, besides DMGaudio's Pro-L, I guess).

I like clipshifter for its full history view!
j.mayr
KVRer

13 posts since 2 Dec, 2008, from Vienna/Munich

Postby j.mayr; Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:21 am Re: Limiter: Opinions Wanted, Inquire Within

. I think the most musical sounding "limiter"/saturator out there is the Slate Digital fg-x - whatever happens under the hood - I´m not sure... and there´s not much to improve - exept the 64bit compatibility, of course
. maybe a controllable Saturation feature, like the "bx-XL" has, would be cool
. and an M/S mode, link L/R percentage,
. Mono version for use in channels during mixing
. switchable look ahead function - like the Fab Filter Pro-L
. the metering could be better - like the "bx-meter", that´s a pretty good solution
for my taste, that´s all I need...

best regards
joerg
Uncovered Pitch
KVRer

12 posts since 1 Sep, 2014, from London, UK

Postby Uncovered Pitch; Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:33 pm Re: Limiter: Opinions Wanted, Inquire Within

Slightly surprised that LVC-Audio is now doing conventional plug-ins like EQ, compression and limiting when the earlier plug-ins were doing things other plug-ins couldn't do. My favourite "limiter" is ClipShifter as it happens, and I find it more transparent than FG-X, Fabfilter, Voxengo and many others. HOFA will be coming out with a super-clean, one-button limiter very soon so in contrast to this it might be nice to have a limiter with lots of control over the sound and metering that shows the onset of pumping and distortion even before it becomes audible. Coupled with this there could also be a macro-parameter that allows managing the above trade-offs, so rather than a conventional release control I envisage some kind of vector/matrix that allows for a seamless handling of this-a bit like the soft/hard/simple/complex control in Logic Pro X's Drummer. If this could somehow be implemented I'm sure it would also be a great educational tool and find favour with music colleges for example. It's so easy to overdo limiting and destroy your music!
random_id
KVRist

Postby random_id; Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:15 am Re: Limiter: Opinions Wanted, Inquire Within

These are all good points.
So far, the limiter is taking shape. Many features are included already, but there is still a lot of work to do. These are great suggestions that give me more to work on.
I will say that the ClipShifter "engine" is included, instead of static clipping. It is one of the main reasons I am building a limiter: to build on what ClipShiter is capable of doing.

How important are metering options (e.g., k-meters, ITU/EBU, etc.), and dithering? Many limiters included these options, but there are plenty of good limiters that don't, as well. In terms of dithering, I am wondering how many people use the limiter to dither, or rely on the DAW to dither when saving.
Uncovered Pitch
KVRer

12 posts since 1 Sep, 2014, from London, UK

Postby Uncovered Pitch; Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:21 pm Re: Limiter: Opinions Wanted, Inquire Within

Great news that the ClipShifter engine is included. Personally I use Meldaproductions MLoudnessAnalyzer for loudness metering and Airwindows Ditherbox for, well, dithering so wouldn't need a new limiter to include this. Glad you liked my slightly extravagant suggestions as they would set the limiter apart from the competition whereas a bog-standard limiter would probably have to sound at least 20% better than said competition which is probably not so easy to achieve given today's high standards.
random_id
KVRist

Postby random_id; Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:12 pm Re: Limiter: Opinions Wanted, Inquire Within

Another quick question, how frequently are you using a limiter on tracks/busses? If so, what features do you think differentiate a good track limiter compared to a mastering limiter?
fwsuperhero
KVRist

207 posts since 26 Jul, 2012, from Prague, czech republic

Postby fwsuperhero; Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:56 am Re: Limiter: Opinions Wanted, Inquire Within

When i think about track limiter I think about something that "cant be done" by clean digital compressor with 10:1 - unlimited:1 ratio.

So it should have some colouring option (for that modern boomy drum busses :lol: ).
It should be cpu light and its ui should be light also (i think about track limiter as a clipper...).
Besides mastering i use limiters just for drums and for some peaks that i cant catch by compressor i´ve got. Nothing else...

But mastering limiter doesnt have any limitation, i´ve loved some with just one or two controls (maxwell smart, waves l1, loudmax, tonebooster cm...) but i also loved some more complicated (kjaerhus gold and vladg limiter no 1). So it depends on material.
When my mixdown is good i use just some limiter that boost volume.
But when i am lazy and wanna make drastic changes on master and make better sound i love these complex limiter that can do some more magic also (vladg limiter 1 has more compressors inside for example). But it can do more harm than good.

Sorry for my english, looking forward :-)

Moderator: random_id

Return to LVC-Audio