Kirk Hunter Diamond Symphony Orchestra Support

Official support for: kirkhunterstudios.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Axxor wrote:Hi Kirk, I really need to update my email address, in the past you'd told me that it was not possible...

I quote you: "It would be a bookkeeping nightmare to reference..." I saved the email.

This is very inconvenient for me, please let me know if you can fix it at once?
It's ok now. Just email me kirk@kirkhunterstudios, and I can update your information.

KirkHunter wrote:
Axxor wrote:Hi Kirk, I really need to update my email address, in the past you'd told me that it was not possible...

I quote you: "It would be a bookkeeping nightmare to reference..." I saved the email.

This is very inconvenient for me, please let me know if you can fix it at once?
It's ok now. Just email me kirk@kirkhunterstudios, and I can update your information.
I sent you an email but I received an error:

"Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

kirk@kirkhunterstudios

Technical details of permanent failure:
DNS Error: Domain name not found"

Instrumental synthwave/synthpop with classical elements: https://www.feiyr.com/x/CaMResonance2022

crisis-at-music wrote:Try kirk@kirkhunterstudios.COM 8)
Email sent, please check your spam folder just in case... Thanks

Axxor wrote:
got it. :)

KirkHunter wrote:
Axxor wrote:
got it. :)
Thanks Kirk

You bet

Man, it took me a long time to get down to the issue here. I was happily working with Diamond Concert set (formerly known as Ruby) upgraded to TVEC3 on my new machine with SSD and I noticed some pretty horrendous pops. I fiddled with latency settings and looked at it from the audio perspective for awhile but noticed no change regardless of any adjustment. Then I noticed it was only taking place at points where I was keyswitching for articulation changes. So after making a visual confirmation I saved off my project and started cutting things away, trying to get to the simplest repeatable case.

Here is what I found. Keyswitching on one track causes audible pops on OTHER instruments in Kontakt. This even happens across two separate instances of Kontakt. I can only make it happen with a Diamond/TVEC3 instrument. I can NOT make it happen with the original Ruby/TVEC instrument.

As I say, this even affects other Kontakt instruments. I tested a single Diamond/TVEC3 instrument (happened to be trombone) keyswitching on one track in it's own instance of Kontakt. I picked Orange Tree Passion Flute as the test victim on it's own track and separate instance of Kontakt (this is all on Sonar X3e). The keyswitching on the trombone caused audible pops, exactly in time, on the flute track. Adjusting the volume on the flute track resulted in corresponding attenuation of the pops, while the trombone played normally (including correctly responding to its keyswitching).

Most important: using the same exact midi track with a Ruby/TVEC instrument does NOT produce the cross-track/instance pops. It looks very much like something in the TVEC3 keyswitch scripting is blurting out pops somehow.

So, sadly, right now TVEC3 upgrade on Diamond is a no-go. I have no idea what I could do to fix this. If I turn off keyswitching in the source TVEC3 instrument it stops the popping but then I can't change artics. Not too interested in stacking multiple tracks each with it's own artic.

Any ideas anyone?

I'll look into this. Meanwhile, to change arts, you can always use automation. Or does that also cause this popping? Also, to make sure to duplicate the issue, exactly which trombone instrument are you using as the source TVEC3? Also, you say it causes popping in the flute track. Does this popping also occur in the trombone track itself? If so, does it also happen if there are no other instances of K running?

Hi Kirk,

My test protocol was:

Win7 SP1, 32GB, dual Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, i7-4820K, Profire2626, Sonar 64 X3e, Kontakt 5 latest

Two MIDI Tracks only, two measures long (in 4/4), no plugs at all on audio out

Midi Track One (T1):
TVEC3 instrument using key switching
First measure NO NOTES but keyswitching on the beat (e.g. D6, D#6, D6, D#6)
Second measure, WHOLE NOTE, no keyswitching

Midi Track Two (T2):
Random Kontakt instrument
Both measures HALF NOTES

All TVEC3 instuments purged to use only specified sample set, i.e. Concert

Tested with T1 and T2 in same Kontakt host
Tested with T1 and T2 in separate Kontakt hosts

Tested with T1 using TVEC3 Concert Trombone (all arts, the "default" instrument)
Tested with T1 using TVEC3 Concert Cellos (all arts, the "default" instrument)
Tested with T1 using TVEC Concert Trombone (the "default" Ruby instrument)
Tested with T1 using TVEC Concert Cellos (the "default" Ruby instrument)

Tested with T2 using TVEC3 Concert Horns (all arts, the "default" instrument)
Tested with T2 using TVEC Concert Horns (the "default" Ruby instrument)
Tested with T2 using Non-KH instrument

Results (same whether one or two instances of K5):
With T2 muted, all tests, NO POPs on T2, T1 plays normally
With T2 un-muted, T1 with TVEC3, POPs on T2 audible proportional to level on T2, T1 normal
With T2 un-muted, T1 with TVEC(Ruby) or non-KH, NO POPs, all normal

So, I used at least two different TVEC3 intruments in track one with same result, suggests not instrument-specific.
Empty first measure on T1 allowed me to hear the keyswitches outside of notes playing at the same time.

The important upshot, to me, is the pops are on the affected track (T2), not the track that is the source of the keyswitching (T1).

In short, any TVEC3 intrument using keyswitching causes pops on any other Kontakt instrument.

I will try using automation tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks,
Steve

Oh, also did same test with samples hosted on former HDD to eliminate SSD as an element.

Feeling a little bummed. Tried six more experiments tonight.

Tried Ruby TVEC3 using automation vs KS and while it appeared to be significantly reduced, I could still get popping.

Spotlight Strings: NO POPs on Art KeySw but DOES POP on stage/player change - not a game-breaker

DL'd Demo of Concert Brass 2 -> NO POPS at all on KeySw -nice

DL'd Demo of Concert Strings 2 -> DOES POP on KeySw - not good.

Retried experiment using Ruby TVEC Concert instruments -> NO POPS at all

I was hoping it was an issue with the old Ruby tech being hooked up to the newer TVEC3 programming but I can repro the issue in CS2. I have a sad.

I started to zero in on arts that have accent settings as those appeared to be the most prominent offenders (e.g. smooth -> AccentPP-> AccentMF -> AccentFF and back again). I tried setting all their attacks to the same value but that didn't help). Changing veolocity of KS doesn't help either. I also made sure my audio drivers were latest - they were.

Finally I tried rendering the test project to audio. NO POPs are present in the rendered output. I retried this four times and never heard a pop in the output. So this is only during playback while composing.

I found the same results. However, I also found that (using Logic) when I bounced the track offline, there were not pops. I will look into this further.

What is the difference between strings/brass version one in diamond and v2 ?

stlum wrote:Feeling a little bummed. Tried six more experiments tonight.

Tried Ruby TVEC3 using automation vs KS and while it appeared to be significantly reduced, I could still get popping.

Spotlight Strings: NO POPs on Art KeySw but DOES POP on stage/player change - not a game-breaker

DL'd Demo of Concert Brass 2 -> NO POPS at all on KeySw -nice

DL'd Demo of Concert Strings 2 -> DOES POP on KeySw - not good.

Retried experiment using Ruby TVEC Concert instruments -> NO POPS at all

I was hoping it was an issue with the old Ruby tech being hooked up to the newer TVEC3 programming but I can repro the issue in CS2. I have a sad.

I started to zero in on arts that have accent settings as those appeared to be the most prominent offenders (e.g. smooth -> AccentPP-> AccentMF -> AccentFF and back again). I tried setting all their attacks to the same value but that didn't help). Changing veolocity of KS doesn't help either. I also made sure my audio drivers were latest - they were.

Finally I tried rendering the test project to audio. NO POPs are present in the rendered output. I retried this four times and never heard a pop in the output. So this is only during playback while composing.
Yes, I find the same issues, but only noticed it in Kontakt 5. I don't think it was happening in K4 or earlier. I'll start seeing about a fix on that after the sale is over.

Return to “Kirk Hunter Studios”