Does Spotlight Strings reallly need 12 Gigs of RAM?

Official support for: kirkhunterstudios.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's what the requirements say, so I'd guess yes, but that's pretty much for a laptop, and more than I can put in mine (an i7 Sony VAIO, maxed out at 8G).

I really like the demos I've heard, and the current sale is a steal, but it'd only be frustrating waste of money if I can't actually use it with the computer I actually have.

It says 4GB under minimum requirements - 12GB under 'recommended' so I'd assume 8 would be fine, assuming the hard disk is suitable for streaming.

If you check my Soundcloud page, 'Another Waltz' used about 15GB of RAM. There were 2 solo violin tracks, one for solo viola, and one for solo cello, along with 4 tracks of ripeneo for a total of 8. I could have saved a bit of RAM by loading multiple instruments in fewer instances of Kontakt. That should probably give you an idea of how much RAM you'll actually need.
Intel 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill RAM, 4 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Mixcraft 7 64 bit. Kontakt 5, MP, EWQL, KH, Omni. Soundcloud YouTube

chibear wrote:'Another Waltz' used about 15GB of RAM
Ouch. I wonder how much less the fewer instances strategy would need.

Are you on Windows? If not, any idea how similar Mac and Win and in this respect? What DAW are you using?

Nice work, BTW :)

I'm on Windows 7. From posts I read on the EWQL (soundsonline) forums there is a significant RAM savings in loading multiple instruments into a single instance of Kontakt. If you search the soundonline forums you should be able to find the post with the numbers the guy came up with in his test.
Intel 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill RAM, 4 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Mixcraft 7 64 bit. Kontakt 5, MP, EWQL, KH, Omni. Soundcloud YouTube

Yeah, duh, you mean like it says in your sig? Sometimes I'm just thick.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll try to find that thread.

My computer is way too limited: W7 32-bit, 3GB etc. so I can't even run a string quartet in Spotlight !

While awaiting permission to upgrade (!) I do my mockups in GPO, then adjust them, recording cannel by channel in Reaper with Spotlight ! Boring.

It is difficult to use a single instance of Kontakt for multiple intruments in Reaper: I have to create a "folder" channel, but then I cannot adjust the individual instruments inside the single Kontakt instance, nor in the channels inside the folder. Same withe a friend's Cubase.

Spotlight is The Future, though. Compared to Garritan's Strad, which needed simultaneous use of all fingers and toes, Spotlight is chid's play...

I'm working on a piece now with Addictive Keys, Realivox Blue, and KH Spotlight Solo Strings with a quintet in a single instance of Kontakt. I'm using about 8.1 gb RAM total, including the OS and Sonar itself. Kontakt reports 2.5 gb for KH SSS.
Dave
What turns me on about the digital age ... it used to be that if you wanted to make a record of a song, you needed a studio and a producer. Now, you need a laptop.
Bono
My SoundCloud

Return to “Kirk Hunter Studios”