Compressing Diamond and Concert Strings 2

Official support for: kirkhunterstudios.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Just curious if there's any harm in compressing these libraries. I did a pass of that and it cut 20 gigs off of Diamond and about 8 off of CS2. I have played around with them a bit and didn't find any issues. I'm not really familiar with the Kontakt compression option though so not sure if there would be usability or other artifacts I'm unaware of.

steve

I don't think there is any drawback. The question for me is more what is the win apart of saving storage space on the disk.

In a different context I made a performance comparison of load times with a simple 65mb GM instrument bank by loading the 15 slots of a multi rack slots and a drums kit as usual in the GM world into slot/channel 10. At least for this very small sized samples there was no difference in any tested setup on Windows and Mac with RAM-Disk, SSD's and standard disks uncompressed or compressed. These were very small samples, for larger ones it might be different. Would be interesting to redo such a comparison just for one big instrument with large samples.
See here:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... on.223748/
Thomas

Well it was all about storage space actually. I bought a 240 gig SSD as an external drive and am trying to pack as many libraries as possible on it to move between my machines here. So far the compressed version seems quite fine.

steve

Return to “Kirk Hunter Studios”