Request for Volume / Expression CC# 11 Control for TVEC 4 (CS2)

Official support for: kirkhunterstudios.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Morning,

It would be great to be able to have separate controls for vibrato and volume instead of just velocity or modwheel; if we could have CC# assignment that would be awesome - i.e. especially CC#11 Expression for Volume (Not the Gen Volume Control which should be CC#7 that it is automatically assigned). TVEC 4 has great flexibility, but this small addition would be most helpful if possible.

Thanks,
Joel

Hi, I'm not associated with KH studios but just a user like you.

For the vibrato control you can either set the 'vibrato' button to either 'Modwheel Vib' or "VibratoLive" which has a "Mod Vib" override to the right. These plus the 3 dials made visible by clicking the 'VibratoLive Settings" Tab can each be automated using Host or MIDI automation.

CC7 is not automatically assigned on my DAW so I set that just below clipping and I use CC11 all the time plus volume automation in my DAW if needed for expression. I use the velocity layers to choose the tone quality rather than depending on them for volume adjustment.

Are you looking to assign CC7 and CC11 to faders on your keyboard?
Intel 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill RAM, 4 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Mixcraft 7 64 bit. Kontakt 5, MP, EWQL, KH, Omni. Soundcloud YouTube

Hi Chibear,

Thanks for responding.

The problem -for me - is that you only have a choice of Mod Wheel or Velocity for 'Expression' as far as I can tell on TVEC 4; I'd prefer to separate out the Vibrato and Expression if possible - i.e. CC# 1 - Vib, CC#11 - Expression; For some reason CC#11 was mapped to the main volume control (what I'd normally reserve for CC#7 if any) in TVEC 4 - I simply removed that assignment. I hardly ever mess with CC#7 except to set main volume levels as you said.

On a related note - ha ha - do you use the Easy String Arranger with Concert Strings 2 at all? I seem to be having a bug with trying to set the Human Pitch Velocity - in particular the right hand module with 'Key Sig / Accent / Staccato stays on top all the time - specifically the 'C Major... Key Sig' so that the other modules are underneath.. i.e. I can't change them. 1st and 2nd Violins are fine, but Violas 1&2, and Cellos 1&2, are bugged.. :( - I've found a work around (same issue) with the full ensemble patch, but no such luck with Violas and Cellos - this is with the ESA .nki... not the pure vanilla Concert Strings 2 .nki.

Quick Note: In regard to assigning faders - I'm good with that: I can either use Midi Learn, or assign via a edit program to the nanoKontrol I use. Thanks for asking though.

Thanks,
Joel

I just tried it and CC#7 and #11 behave normally so you should be able to maintain the CC7-CC11 relationship as in most VSTs. I think the CC11 assignation in Kontakt CC automation is some sort of error or telling ppl that 'Expression' is really expression ^^.

So why can't you assign vibrato to the modwheel and then CC11 to a fader?

I've never looked at ESA. Not interested.
Intel 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill RAM, 4 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Mixcraft 7 64 bit. Kontakt 5, MP, EWQL, KH, Omni. Soundcloud YouTube

The Modwheel on Vibrato is fine; the real issue is the 'Expression' or what is labeled as 'Modwheel Volume, or Velocity Volume' - I neither want to use the Modwheel for 'Volume' - really expression (not gen volume) - nor velocity (can't do swells on just velocity), but would rather be able to assign that to CC#11; as it is right now I only have two choice: 1.) CC#1 Modwheel or 2.) Velocity.

To be specific: I click ' Settings | Set velocity volume, and modwheel volume controls | which brings up either Velocity Vol and Modwheel Vol - (Modwheel Vol CC#1 appears to be the only way to control 'expression' for swells)

If there is a way I can assign CC#11, instead of CC#1 to 'Modwheel Vol' please let me know? :) I'll extremely happy if this is a case of user ignorance :)

Thanks,
Joel

I know I'm in the minority but I have never used velocity for volume change in any library. I disagree with the concept that there MUST be a color change to accompany a dynamic change, having spent 40+ years of an orchestral career attempting to put any tone color change under my control and not let it be a slave to volume. Therefore what I do is use velocity for color change and then a combination of CC11 and clip volume automation for dynamics.
If there is a way I can assign CC#11, instead of CC#1 to 'Modwheel Vol' please let me know?
It is possible on some keyboards. Check the manual.

Right now I have CC#11 assigned to a knob on my Oxygen 8 but that isn't ideal either. The adjustment is not fine enough and I don't like the twisting motion. I end up having to go into the DAW and manually adjust my CC11 'mistakes' in the piano roll. What I have just ordered is THIS to input CC11 which will give me 6" of travel so fine adjustments should be a lot easier. Hope it works as well as they say.

EDIT: In re-reading your last post for the 3rd time I think I might have misunderstood (again :roll: ). DO you want to assign CC11 to the modwheel within the confines of the CS2 UI?? That I doubt can be done unless Kirk would reprogram it. Any time I've tried to go deeper beyond the 'public pages' of the UI in any of Kirk's stuff I get a magnificent lockup and crash.

Return to “Kirk Hunter Studios”