duduk vst controlled by an Ewi

Official support for: ilyaefimov.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, loving your libraries. I play the Akai EWI4000s wind controller and use it to control a variety of sample libraries. I am looking at your Duduk library and wanted to know if I were able to do a few things with the vst.
1. Can I control the expression and velocity of each sample in real time using CC2 ( the midi control parameter that is output from the breath pressure of a player). Would I get natural crescendo / decrescendo?
2. Is the vibrato built into the samples? Or are there seperate vibrato samples that are key switched on/off? I would prefer to control vibrato with diaphagm control or using the modwheel CC that is built into the mouthpiece of the EWI.
3. On an EWI you cannot play one note and thenplay a second one whilst holding down the first- does your legato system work by playing the note you want to legato up to whilst holding down the previous note? If not, how do you control legato ( a keyswitch again?)
Thank you for giving this query your time.
Always learning....

Hi slavedave,
Thank you for your kind words about our libraries!
1. You can control dynamic using any CC. You can change default CC1 to CC2
2. Yes. Vibrato built on samples. Duduk library has a lot of different vibrato articulations, but you can not to get real natural vibrato using artifical LFO modulation. It's just could kill the expressiveness and spoil your impression of our library.
3. You can control legato using notes overlapping. Not keyswitch.
Surely we should upgrade.

Efimoff

Did you buy this? I am thinking about it. Does it work well with EWI?

Ilya

I am not quite clear from your answer to question 1. In general, instruments seem to fall into a number of camps. Which one describes this one?

1. The overall amplitude is set by the velocity at the beginning of the note at which point the envelope runs fixed throughout the note. The sustain may hold as long as the note is held or may be fixed by the sample sustain length.

2. The overall amplitude is set by the velocity at the beginning of the note but is then variable to a lesser extent by the expression or breath control.The sustain may hold as long as the note is held or may be fixed by the sample sustain length.

3. The amplitude of the note is determined at any point by the expression or breath control cc rather than initial velocity of the note. The sustain is fixed by the sample length.

4. The amplitude of the note is determined at any point by the expression or breath control cc rather than the initial velocity of the note. The sustain is not fixed by sample length but the note will last as long as the expression/breath control is active.

Wind control players ideally need option 4. Keyboard players usually want 1 or 2.

A related question is about crossfading of the sample layering against amplitude. If the amplitude is varied during the note, there should ideally be crossfading between the layers to reflect this since changes in amplitude during the note will change the sound of the instrument dynamically.

Vibrato is also complicated in that most of the vibrato in a wind instrument is a complex mix of tone, amplitude and pitch whereas the available control usually affects only pitch. This needs some careful programming to make realistic.

Thanks,

Return to “Ilya Efimov Production”