Kirnu - Cream Pre-Release

Official support for: kirnuarp.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

paterpeter wrote:I tried the x86 version in Reaper x64, using the built-in bit bridge.

No crashes so far. But I noticed that when I arm a track with Cream on it the output becomes uneven (like in Studio One) and I even get pops and crackles in the audio. This gets even worse when I record arm more than one track with Cream on it.
Hmm, pops and crackles in audio are produced by the synth,... Cream is just sending midi data. Which latency setting do you use? Maybe the bridge is generating cpu hits... I guess Arto will fix the 64bit version soon. I have a very similar setup (2500K, Komplete Audio6, 16GB Ram) and I don't had pops or crackles when Cream's running or armed, and no timing problems so far - but I was using always 32bit version (Reaper&Cream().

Do you mean with "out of sync" completely different timing, or is the output just shifted 1-2 steps behind, but is in sync (=> 1/16) ?

PepeLopez wrote:
paterpeter wrote:I tried the x86 version in Reaper x64, using the built-in bit bridge.

No crashes so far. But I noticed that when I arm a track with Cream on it the output becomes uneven (like in Studio One) and I even get pops and crackles in the audio. This gets even worse when I record arm more than one track with Cream on it.
Hmm, pops and crackles in audio are produced by the synth,... Cream is just sending midi data.
I know, but that's what I'm experiencing :shrug:
Which latency setting do you use? Maybe the bridge is generating cpu hits...
I tried different settings, from 64 to 512 samples (at 44.1KHz) with no difference. The CPU is practically idling the whole time. I tried with four instances of Cream and four instances of Dune. Reaper reports a CPU usage of < 5%, the task manager shows similar results. It's ONLY if I enable Cream and ONLY if record arm is enabled.
Do you mean with "out of sync" completely different timing, or is the output just shifted 1-2 steps behind, but is in sync (=> 1/16) ?
It's not shifted by a specific number of 16ths. It's similar to the results in Studio one, e.g. 16ths aren't played evenly. As if the timing of the notes was heavily humanized.

============

More feature requests/suggestions/bug reports:

Behavior
- "Transpose" should always be in semi-tones, not steps in the scale. If a scale is selected, snap note to nearest note in scale.
- Add a per-step toggle to turn on/off snap-to-scale. Default is on. Where snap-to-scale is turned off, the notes are transposed as per transpose graph. Where it is on, the notes are snapped to the nearest note in the scale (if enabled).
- Add a new graph: Probability, which sets the chance whether the note is played or not (see FXpansion's Tremor).
- Shuffle should lengthen the first note and shorten the second note, or at least shorten the second note. Otherwise, monophonic synths won't be triggered correctly even for gate < 0 (because the second note overlaps with the next note)
- The octave knob doesn't work here.

UI
- Add mouse wheel support for step entry
- Some graphs probably should be displays as bars (order, Chordmem). Instead, they should look like "Seq" but with only one rectangle enabled at a time.
- The "Order" sequencer should always display the value of each step.

kontakt1968 wrote: I have been playing around after install and I cant get the octave knob to change the notes ( gate/swing/trans/rate work fine) ie when I input 1 note or a 3 note chord the arp just plays those notes does not play 1/2/3/4/5 octave higher again
Using cubase 4 with win xp 32 bit
I bought cream too. The same problem with octave knob that doesn't work.

I discovered also a timing problem with shorter midi notes (one 4/4) The output is shifted 1-2 steps behind but is in sync (=> 1/16). Cream does change the rhythm sometimes where Kirnu 1 plays the same part correctly.

I don't know if this helps you, but I guess I can't describe it better in english.

Best regards
Olivier

paterpeter wrote:
PepeLopez wrote:

Hmm, pops and crackles in audio are produced by the synth,... Cream is just sending midi data.
I know, but that's what I'm experiencing :shrug:
Which latency setting do you use? Maybe the bridge is generating cpu hits...
I tried different settings, from 64 to 512 samples (at 44.1KHz) with no difference. The CPU is practically idling the whole time. I tried with four instances of Cream and four instances of Dune. Reaper reports a CPU usage of < 5%, the task manager shows similar results. It's ONLY if I enable Cream and ONLY if record arm is enabled.
It's not shifted by a specific number of 16ths. It's similar to the results in Studio one, e.g. 16ths aren't played evenly. As if the timing of the notes was heavily humanized.

============

More feature requests/suggestions/bug reports:

Behavior
- "Transpose" should always be in semi-tones, not steps in the scale. If a scale is selected, snap note to nearest note in scale.
- Add a per-step toggle to turn on/off snap-to-scale. Default is on. Where snap-to-scale is turned off, the notes are transposed as per transpose graph. Where it is on, the notes are snapped to the nearest note in the scale (if enabled).
- Add a new graph: Probability, which sets the chance whether the note is played or not (see FXpansion's Tremor).
- Shuffle should lengthen the first note and shorten the second note, or at least shorten the second note. Otherwise, monophonic synths won't be triggered correctly even for gate < 0 (because the second note overlaps with the next note)
- The octave knob doesn't work here.

UI
- Add mouse wheel support for step entry
- Some graphs probably should be displays as bars (order, Chordmem). Instead, they should look like "Seq" but with only one rectangle enabled at a time.
Nice suggestion you have there. I'm sure couple of them are taken in to use in Cream.

About the playback problem in Studio One. Have you tried to record the output of Cream? I recorded and It looks ok to me. Maybe there is something weird going on how Studio One handles notes sent from Cream to synth,

I have to investigate this more.

That pop and crackles issue I couldn't reproduce.

-Arto

Technobox wrote:
kontakt1968 wrote: I have been playing around after install and I cant get the octave knob to change the notes ( gate/swing/trans/rate work fine) ie when I input 1 note or a 3 note chord the arp just plays those notes does not play 1/2/3/4/5 octave higher again
Using cubase 4 with win xp 32 bit
I bought cream too. The same problem with octave knob that doesn't work.

I discovered also a timing problem with shorter midi notes (one 4/4) The output is shifted 1-2 steps behind but is in sync (=> 1/16). Cream does change the rhythm sometimes where Kirnu 1 plays the same part correctly.

I don't know if this helps you, but I guess I can't describe it better in english.

Best regards
Olivier
You say shorter midi notes (one 4/4). Do you mean longer notes?
Can you give an example about this problem. If you would take screen shot from your daw which shows the input note and recorded output it would be very helpful.

Same applies with the rhythm thing. It's hard to understand it without an example.

-Arto

paterpeter wrote: - Some graphs probably should be displays as bars (order, Chordmem).
This should have read "some graphs probably shouldn't be displayed as bars", of course.
Additionally, maybe symbols instead of text would be easier to read, like it's done in Cthulu:

Kirnu wrote: About the playback problem in Studio One. Have you tried to record the output of Cream? I recorded and It looks ok to me. Maybe there is something weird going on how Studio One handles notes sent from Cream to synth,

I'll test that tomorrow.
That pop and crackles issue I couldn't reproduce.
Maybe it's related to the issue in Studio One. In both cases the respective track is armed for recording.

koalaboy wrote:I'm struggling slightly to understand the 'Order' tab as it doesn't seem to have any effect (other than the 'off' setting), and the 'copy to all' on right-click doesn't work for me. Otherwise, with the chord-mem and seq especially, I'm having great fun :D

Edit: Reaper x64 on Windows 7

The order tab only makes sense if you are holding multiple keys... Then you can select which keys are triggered on the specific step. Previous, First, Last, Hi, Lo and Random (or off)

VitaminD wrote:No demo version during pre-release. Pre-release version costs less than release price. hmm a gamble you have made it. :hihi:

Will you at least have videos of cream in action? I'd like to specifically see the chord section at work without the arp. Does it work the same way as the chord section in Cthulu??
You can program up to 16 chords and each step of a pattern can be set for 1-16 on the ChrdMem page... you have to select multiple notes in the Seq page in order to hear the chords

Some bugs

Ableton Live on OSX 10.6.8

A chord sequence - the first note plays a single note, not a chord. On the next pass through the pattern it plays a chord as expected

Divide a note by 2... if that step is a chord it plays 2 notes, not 2 chords

feature suggestion: a length option of 1.5 would be nice... if I want a 1.5 step, every step has to be put at 2 and one step at 3

feature suggestion:

ability to tie notes together and have a glide control....

I'm having some difficulty with the X64 version. It will not appear in Cubase 7.01 64bit, Ableton Live 8.4b9 64bit or Studio One Pro 2.5 64bit. All plugin paths are set correctly in the relevant applications, I have uninstalled, reinstalled as administrator, and have now run into a brick wall. Just to check, I installed Ableton Live 8.4 32bit, put the 32bit .dll in a folder for 32bit plugins, and again it did not appear.

System details:

Win 8 Pro 64bit
Q9650 Quad Core 3ghz
8GB Ram
RME HDSP 9632

Has anyone else got the 64bit version to work? I am completely stumped - I have a fair number of VST plugins, and this is the first time I have had this sort of a problem

Thanks folks!

I have 2 bugs to report. #1 When I select a parameter value from a dropdown menu it will always select the previous value. So if I try to select a preset, it will select the previous preset. #2 When I click on a button (track, power, etc) I can not click it again unless I first click on something else and then click it again.

Hi, just have 2 short questions:

What's the final retail price going to be?
And when does the Pre Order period end?

Best Regards
Kr3eM

stikygum wrote:I have 2 bugs to report. #1 When I select a parameter value from a dropdown menu it will always select the previous value. So if I try to select a preset, it will select the previous preset. #2 When I click on a button (track, power, etc) I can not click it again unless I first click on something else and then click it again.
Please provide DAW information!

paterpeter wrote:My system: Windows 8 x64, Reaper x64 4.33pre4, Studio One Professional 2.5, i7 2600k, 16GB RAM, Native Instruments Traktor Audio 2)

Reaper crashes frequently when I edit the step sequencers. In Studio One, the notes are played very unevenly, ie. timing is off. I'll see what I can do about this, because Kirnu has the same issues. Maybe it's a S1 thing.
64bit beta version of Reaper an Win8 is a very critical combination ;)
Is it different when using latest stable version of Reaper?

As workaround:
Please try to install Cream in admin mode and afterwards run (64bit) daw in admin mode. Some users reported that it works then. For some not. It's difficult to figure out why it behaves differently on similar setups :/

If you have the possibility to show a bug in a video, please do so. Sometimes screenshots are working too. The faster a problem is reproducable, the fast it'll be fixed for sure! :)

Arto takes care about every bug!

Return to “Kirnu”