Kirnu - Cream pre-release 2

Official support for: kirnuarp.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, a question and an FR:

Question: can Cream be setup so that the arp trigger notes only while keys are actually held pressed?

FR: Is it possible to set an option that makes MIDI input/output channels stick while changing presets? I have devices working on channels other than 1, and each time I change a preset the channels revert to 1/1...

Thanks,
Mario

Hi.

Cream crashed both in Reaper (four times) and FL Studio (once)

Windows 7 64bit version

Reaper 4.3 (x64):
- insert Cream into an empty track
- insert two notes into chord memory 1
- in patterns - chordmem put one chord into the lowest leftmost pattern
- right click, "copy to all"
- cream crashes

(in reaper twice with two different vsts while playing a sound, once without any vst in reaper and FL 10.9b)

Greets

Hi, Kirnu Cream is amazing - really well thought out both in function and layout. The gui is a pleasure to use. Why cant more plugins be like this! :) Actually a very exciting creative tool. Bought it yesterday! I have a couple questions though -

Using Kirnu 2, beta 3, Ableton 8.4beta9, osx 10.6.8.

1) In the manual, it says theres a panic button? Where is it?

2) The Pattern Step Length number - Im confused about its function.

- What I expect is that sets the maximum number of steps of the pattern, disregarding the loop brackets in each of the data tabs.

But the way it works right now... although I sort of understand it, makes less sense than just having it as a master pattern step length number. It doesnt seem to actually have an effect on the audio/the steps/patterns. Turning it up to 32 steps, and turning it back down to 1, doesnt have a noticeable effect.

For example - if I change the default pattern 32 steps to 16... It doesnt seem to do anything. I can see the change in the gui - the pattern keeps playing past the 16 step length to the loop lenght. To achieve a simple 16 step function, I have to manually create 16 step loop points for each pattern data tab. Which seems a bit strange.

Maybe someone could shed some light on the reasoning.

3) Is there a way to play "one shot" arps with the hold button? i.e. I tap c3, then c3 plays an arp for 32 steps, then stops?

If I had 2 feature requests (if possible!):

Be able to assign a midi control to the pattern number select - right now, right clicking on 1-12 doesnt give you the option. This is majorly important.

A list to view the current learned midi assignments.

Bug:

After selecting a couple of presets in a row, eventually they stop changing to a new preset.

Congratulations again on Cream, looking forward to making music with it!

jumpercable wrote:1) In the manual, it says theres a panic button? Where is it?

3) Is there a way to play "one shot" arps with the hold button? i.e. I tap c3, then c3 plays an arp for 32 steps, then stops?

4) Be able to assign a midi control to the pattern number select - right now, right clicking on 1-12 doesnt give you the option. This is majorly important.

Bug:
After selecting a couple of presets in a row, eventually they stop changing to a new preset.
Thanks for your nice words! :)

To your questions:

1st: Panic button is on the very top right edge! It's a ! with red background!

2nd: Yes, the difference between pattern length and loop points may be a bit confusing. Both parameters have different effects "under the hood", you'll discover it when you start making a bit more complex stuff. It's better to find out instead of explaining it from boring technical view :)

3rd: Well, the way you want it,... I guess no. But there are many workarounds to achieve such a behaviour. You could use e.g. pattern sequencer. Set pattern 1 on slot one with according pattern length and 1 repeat, and after that e.g. pattern 12 (empty) with max repeats. This lead into your desired functionalty.

4th: RTFM :P You can select patterns with control zone on your midi keyboard. Using C1 to B1 is your task! :) You should enable "Control Zone text" in SETTINGS, than you see all possibilities in the piano roll. Or read the manual regarding "Control Zone".

Bug: Please explain a bit more about that issue. Is it reproducable? Could you provide a test project and detailed instructions how to reproduce?

Best regards,
Lopez

PepeLopez wrote: 2nd: Yes, the difference between pattern length and loop points may be a bit confusing. Both parameters have different effects "under the hood", you'll discover it when you start making a bit more complex stuff. It's better to find out instead of explaining it from boring technical view :)

Best regards,
Lopez
I have the same question... Please just provide an answer. I would like to understand the feature and how to use it.

thanks for this great plugin! i think there might be a slight stability problem, where if you get all four tracks going, occasionally one of the tracks will 'reset' itself when changing keys (transposing from the keyboard)and i have to go back and edit everything on that track again. of course i could save it and load it back in again but has anybody else had this happen? i am on winXP SP3.

one other thing, maybe a bug, more of a question: i seem to have to drag the length of each function under the tabbed functions of each track when i want the same length for each. like say an accent which will not repeat until all 32 steps are played even if all tracks are set to say 4 steps. is this normal and am i missing something?
"..What is simple, is simply seen.."

Ok, about my earlier question, I think I found a bug: if I set input MIDI channel to ch8 and output channel to ch1, arps do not stop when keys are released. If I set input and output to ch1, arp stops as soon as keys are released.

- Mario

jumpercable wrote: 2) The Pattern Step Length number - Im confused about its function.
From the manual:

NOTE! The default note list reset mode is continuous i.e doesn't reset. If one wants note list to reset when pattern resets he must enable Reset on pattern reset on ORDER tab!

-Arto

mabian wrote:Hi, a question and an FR:

Question: can Cream be setup so that the arp trigger notes only while keys are actually held pressed?

FR: Is it possible to set an option that makes MIDI input/output channels stick while changing presets? I have devices working on channels other than 1, and each time I change a preset the channels revert to 1/1...

Thanks,
Mario
You can use 'Arp on note count' to trigger Cream to play for example when 3 notes are pressed simultaneously.

About the FR: Added to our FR list

-Arto

nexussynth wrote:thanks for this great plugin! i think there might be a slight stability problem, where if you get all four tracks going, occasionally one of the tracks will 'reset' itself when changing keys (transposing from the keyboard)and i have to go back and edit everything on that track again. of course i could save it and load it back in again but has anybody else had this happen? i am on winXP SP3.

one other thing, maybe a bug, more of a question: i seem to have to drag the length of each function under the tabbed functions of each track when i want the same length for each. like say an accent which will not repeat until all 32 steps are played even if all tracks are set to say 4 steps. is this normal and am i missing something?
Can you be more specific. Which keys are you pressing when Tracks reset themselves.

About the other issue. Do you mean that control sections don't start from beginning when pattern is changed by Pattern Sequencer?

-Arto

shorty wrote:Hi.

Cream crashed both in Reaper (four times) and FL Studio (once)

Windows 7 64bit version

Reaper 4.3 (x64):
- insert Cream into an empty track
- insert two notes into chord memory 1
- in patterns - chordmem put one chord into the lowest leftmost pattern
- right click, "copy to all"
- cream crashes

(in reaper twice with two different vsts while playing a sound, once without any vst in reaper and FL 10.9b)

Greets
Does this happen also with version 2? I tried to reproduce it but Cream worked as expected.

-Arto

PepeLopez wrote:
jumpercable wrote:1) In the manual, it says theres a panic button? Where is it?

4) Be able to assign a midi control to the pattern number select - right now, right clicking on 1-12 doesnt give you the option. This is majorly important.

Bug:
Thanks for your nice words! :)

To your questions:

1st: Panic button is on the very top right edge! It's a ! with red background!

2nd: Yes, the difference between pattern length and loop points may be a bit confusing. Both parameters have different effects "under the hood", you'll discover it when you start making a bit more complex stuff. It's better to find out instead of explaining it from boring technical view :)

3rd: Well, the way you want it,... I guess no. But there are many workarounds to achieve such a behaviour. You could use e.g. pattern sequencer. Set pattern 1 on slot one with according pattern length and 1 repeat, and after that e.g. pattern 12 (empty) with max repeats. This lead into your desired functionalty.

4th: RTFM :P You can select patterns with control zone on your midi keyboard. Using C1 to B1 is your task! :) You should enable "Control Zone text" in SETTINGS, than you see all possibilities in the piano roll. Or read the manual regarding "Control Zone".

Bug: Please explain a bit more about that issue. Is it reproducable? Could you provide a test project and detailed instructions how to reproduce?

Best regards,
Lopez
1) thanks for your help - my brain just kept registering that as a close window button!

2) Hm, ok. Theres probably going to be a video needed to explain it at some point if you could be so kind, I dont think Im alone in the confusion.

3) Ok, no prob. Pity about no oneshot. Your workaround seems ok, I guess another would be to add a note lenght midi effect before kirnu and set it roughly the lenght of time of the pattern you want.

4) See you have thought of everything! :) Yeah, sorry about that! Embarrassing. Ill have to try it out with automap.

1 last FR idea - (which would be great!)

To allow more expressive control -

Ratio knob - a way to increase/decrease the ratio of the values in the cc tabs gradually.

So, for example - if you had cc1 assigned to a filter, and you drew in a basic shallow curve (so at start of pattern, filter is closed and at end filter is open slightly more), this "ratio knob" would increase/decrease the values of all the steps in respect of one another. So as you turn the knob the "slope" of what you drew stays the same, but the starting point will be higher and also the ending point. You could very easily build alot of drama in parts, have effects gradually fade in and out without touching the mouse.

Kirnu wrote:
nexussynth wrote:thanks for this great plugin! i think there might be a slight stability problem, where if you get all four tracks going, occasionally one of the tracks will 'reset' itself when changing keys (transposing from the keyboard)and i have to go back and edit everything on that track again. of course i could save it and load it back in again but has anybody else had this happen? i am on winXP SP3.

This was the same thing I mentioned I think - the confusion is that pattern lenght doesnt really shorten the lenght the way people expect and it seems you do have to manually go into each tab and set the loop points to the desired lenght.

If the function remains the same - it might be advisable that theres a ctrl click option that when you click one of the loop brackets it changes the lenght for all tabs. So you only need do it once.

jumpercable wrote:
Kirnu wrote:

This was the same thing I mentioned I think - the confusion is that pattern lenght doesnt really shorten the lenght the way people expect and it seems you do have to manually go into each tab and set the loop points to the desired lenght.

If the function remains the same - it might be advisable that theres a ctrl click option that when you click one of the loop brackets it changes the lenght for all tabs. So you only need do it once.
yes! this is what i mean too. your suggestion would be the way to do it.

Kirnu wrote:

Can you be more specific. Which keys are you pressing when Tracks reset themselves.

About the other issue. Do you mean that control sections don't start from beginning when pattern is changed by Pattern Sequencer?

-Arto
it happens when i play a different chord on my input keyboard some times, but not all the time. it's random and i never know when it's going to do it. it is always with more than one track going at once. might be a stability problem?

Return to “Kirnu”