Automation problem

Official support for: kirnuarp.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm building a live set where I'm sending MIDI loops to Cream, and it would be really useful if the gate and swing parameters could be set to global.

I can't teach the same CC for all knobs, and when I created a parameter modulation system with Reaper, linking even the first 12 gate controls to the same CC caused Reaper to slow down to a crawl on my 6-core...

I don't like to have to go to the laptop in the middle of the set to finetune things, I'd like to have it all running from a Quneo...

Also for the arpeggiator it would be nice to have controls like in Cthulhu that would allow for also the traditional up/down sequences inside the note chain. If the chain has a lot of notes, I can't program a sequence going up and down the scale, I have to do it over a basenote with the transpose sequencer.

Also the manual is not very clear, somehow the concepts are not explained enough and the structure is confusing. Tracks for example are talked about from almost the first page, but nowhere it's clearly explained how they actually work and interact with each other.

Otherwise I'm happy, having things running at diffefent speeds and pattern lengths on different sequencers create some really interesting grooves :)

Also, not all of the controls have the MIDI learn option... I automated the key area selection parameter through the normal Reaper automation, and got a slider controlling which track out of the four is active. When I tried automating the four on/off buttons to select which of them are active, things got weird, as Reaper seemingly continuously sends a message (even when I had the toggle mode on) if the automation is active, so Cream started flipping out. The same thing with the selection of the active track slider, after I set the automation, it was impossible to switch away from the selected track apart from pulling the slider. There might be some option for this inside Reaper though to stop sending CCs after the slider is released?

This sort of things need to be addressed I wish, the tool would be so much more useful for live use thus... Now I have to go to the laptop every time I need to change swing, gate, active track...

I would just like to have four buttons to select and activate one or the other of the tracks... Since 12 patterns is not so much to play with. Bluearp was nicer in many ways, but didn't seem stable so I chose to go with Cream...

These are very good and doable FRs.
I'll add them to our long FR list :)

-Arto

I would say that if the global gate/swing (maybe have a small button like the lock button to activate it besides the knobs?) would be maybe more useful if it was relative to the pattern settings, and actually isn't this the easy way to do it?

I would love to see these implemented. First go at the live is in mid-january, let's hope you have time to code over the holidays ;)

Kuulen kyllä :)

Return to “Kirnu”