XSRDO Patchwork modular

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Had a quick test - nice so far and lower on CPU.
One thing: the LFO has the same button like the "octave" at the OSC, but they just lower the volume independend from the "level" knob ?
And the in poly mode there is a new lfo at each new note of a chord, but is is neither synchronized to the note on nor to the other lfo. There should be a choice to have one lfo for all voices or independend per voice - but the latter with start on key sync.

(and the cable tension knob works reverse :wink: )
ImageImage

WOK wrote:Had a quick test - nice so far and lower on CPU.
One thing: the LFO has the same button like the "octave" at the OSC, but they just lower the volume independend from the "level" knob ?
And the in poly mode there is a new lfo at each new note of a chord, but is is neither synchronized to the note on nor to the other lfo. There should be a choice to have one lfo for all voices or independend per voice - but the latter with start on key sync.

(and the cable tension knob works reverse :wink: )
Hi Wok

Thanks for trying it.

The Osc button is octave up, normal and down.
The Lfo button doesn't lower the volume it lowers the output level, like, course, normal and fine. It's just a graphics/icon issue.
I'll add a sync input to the lfo(s) to reset the phase.
WOK wrote:and the cable tension knob works reverse :wink: )
I could change 'tension' to 'slacken' :hihi:

I've started to work on the effects page today.

Cheers Kirsty

Quick test here...I just love Patchwork Modular ,it remindes me of those eurorack
modulars ( Doepfer),last night i was feedbacking the output of the filter to the input of the filter(that is something i do on every modular,it gives a phatter sound because of the filter overdrive) thank you Kirsty for the "patchbay" and "level control" modules couldn't live without them,the sequencer is working alright,haven't tried all the modes yet,so no major bugs found at the moment.
I really love the way you implemented "CV" and "Gate",that is something that i miss on some other vst modulars.
Kirsty i could see that you improved the oscillators ,sine wave is ok , the sawtooth and square are better sounding but they are still very "low-fi" there is a lot of aliasing,that code will need more work have you tried bandlimiting ,lowpass filtering and oversampling to fix those problems?...Also i'm running out of modules,could you extend the 16 virtual 'racks' ? (maybe making it unlimited with scrollbar)...the gui could be a little bit larger,i would love to make some higher resolution skins :)
...keep it up,i'm loving all the new stuff :)
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

Nice, makes Wusik4000 look like cheap assed shareware
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Sounds great, works great. Keep up the development Kirsty. :tu:
I would like a darker GUI really, but perhaps that is just a dream. :wink:

Maomoondog wrote:...I would like a darker GUI really, but perhaps that is just a dream. :wink:
I agree ,a darker ,moog ,roland inspired look would be great.Last week i was inverting the modules panels colors in photoshop to black...but i can't figure out how the plugin comunicates with the "Patchwork Alternate Skin" folder where the skin resides...Kirsty,can you help?
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

Just found out how :D
there were some hidden options,you have to click "XSRDO PATCHWORK MODULAR SYSTEM" logo...then choose "enable skin files" ,i will post the finished result here soon ,time to some work :D

:lol:

I was just about to reply when you sussed it.

But for clarity...

To use a 3rd party skin
1. Copy the included 'Patchwork files' folder to your hard drive.
2. Click on the "XSRDO Patchwork Modular System" main title at the top of the plugin.
3. Select 'Enable Skin Files'.
4. If no skin directory has been preset you will get the ERROR: message, "No support directory found". Click on 'OK'.
5. From the file dialog box open the *.pwm file in the directory where you placed the 'Patchwork files' folder.
6. Repeat steps 2 and 3. Your skin should load.

For the plugin to remember these settings, Save changes in your VST Host program typically as *.fxb.
You can use multiple skins by selecting 'Select User Directory' from the same menu.
----------

I don't recommend that you create a complete skin at this time as it's still in beta and I sometimes alter
the GUI layout to accommodate new features, which would bugger up your design a bit :hihi:
At best, I suggest you should just make a few modules, say, VCO, ADSR, Signal Mixer etc... and let me
see them. I can then modify the code to suit.

Some info on my skin templates that might help you...
All synth modules are the same dimensions, but the entire GUI could be resized if the skin warranted it.
All synth modules currently contain a maximum of (4x Knobs[small or large], 4x Inputs, 4x Outputs, 4x Selector switches). I am thinking of adding another 4x Single switches.
It's coded using SSE2 so is faster computing stuff in groups of 4.
The sequencer and FX sections are different.

I've been playing in Paint Shop Pro and as you can see I've already moved some of the Input/Output plug holes.
I want to try and keep a stable theme so that the I/O plugs align up nicely. IE Knobs on the left or Middle. Inputs left side, Outputs right side etc... but it's not easy when the modules have different I/O combinations.

Hope this helps you.
Kirsty

sergiofrias wrote: Kirsty i could see that you improved the oscillators ,sine wave is ok , the sawtooth and square are better sounding but they are still very "low-fi" there is a lot of aliasing,that code will need more work
I've made some improvements to the oscillator. I'm writing it this way because I want to use the same code
later to play user waveforms, wavetables and samples.

sergiofrias wrote:Also i'm running out of modules,could you extend the 16 virtual 'racks' ?
Probably, it's not that difficult but I want to finish most of the synth in it's current state before I think about expanding it.

Kirsty

Edit: found it!

Does anyone have clipping/distortion issues with the old version or am I the only one?
Last edited by arkmabat on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here is my skin:

Thank you Kirsty,as you can see on the above image i was having too much fun today making a black skin,i changed the knobs using knobman,and yes i was to late (to read your recomendation) and skinned all the modules :D
Thank you for your explanation on using a 3rd party skin,i figured out by myself,but it will sure help other users :)
In the future,i would like to make my contribution to the skin by making a photorealistical skin using Blender 3D,i will ignore 2D knobman/photoshop and use and abuse of the new blender "Cycles" rendering engine.
I really love the concept of the new I/O,it's much user friendly.I'm glad you are making improvements to the oscillator,it's absolute essential that they don't alias(audible),after all oscillators are the heart (along with the filter) of every synthesizer,and we all love that analog sound,i'm sure you will find your way on removing that digital harshness of the current code on future developments ;)
Nice work :)

The latest version (beta v0.18)
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/1956fc9d

Kirsty

+1 Kirsty :tu:
Nice new skin :)

There seems to be some noise / crackling sound on some of the presets, not loud but audible (FL Studio 11)

Hello Kirsty nice update,that was fast :)
Same issue here as Maomoondog...i'm using fl studio too.
Here is some issues on this (and past) beta(s):
-Noise module is horrible,sounds like crackling/fm (very irregular frequency response),i've tested the buffer options in fl studio ,they changed the sound ,but didn't worked (still the same crackling)
- the new module PHYSMOD it's a great addiction ,physical modulation opens up new possibilities in the sound pallete,but suffers from some crackling sound too.
-Effects module,Chorus suffers from same crackling issue ,especially at higher notes.
-(BUG)effects panel (black bar) when clicking for eg. chorus module actually removes or add modules from synthesizer.
-oscillator sounds a lot better aliasing is gone (thank you :D ) but,would it be possible to extend the frequency response it's very lofi,depending on some pitch notes there is not a lot of frequency information above 8 Khz/14 khz per octave,above 4Khz only one harmonic.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”