synthedit synths ... free or not ?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)

do you object to paying for synthedit-built vst stuff ?

yes
22%
no
28%
depends on the quality
50%

Total votes: 58

RELATED
PRODUCTS

this seems to have come up a bit lately so ...

since synthedit is [like sync modular] shareware ... do you object to paying for vst instruments [or effects] built with it :?: ...

basically ... is it a question of the tools used or the ideas ... imagination ... time ... and sheer hard work that goes into the tools we choose to use however they were made :?:

... cheers :? rob [admittedly with a vested interest :wink: ]

As I've said before, I don't mind paying for something if its genuinly good or adds something new. Its not important to me how it was made!
See me at www.rendez.net

As I said earlier today, it aint the tools you use that I pay for, but the work you put into them. Clay is free, it comes out the ground. A beautiful sculpture made from that clay requires time, effort, and craft. Hang on, I'll get my VISA card...
There are rocketships outside of my window. Really: www.cosmo.org
www.theelectronicgarden.com

Scot, you hit the nail firmly on the head. :D

SynthEdit compiled plugins - much like hard-coded VST plugins, Reactor and SynC Modular ensembles - there will be those out there for free and there will be those available for a fee. This is because some folks feel their time and effort are worth something (which it is) and there will always be those who do things just for the hell of it.

If people have an issue with paying for this stuff, my view is simply this - don't use it, build/code your own, you no longer have an excuse.

At the end of the day, and as much as I have a vested interest in this, People will only pay for something if
  • a) They want it
    b) Its worth paying for.
Nobody is forcing money out of anybodies pocket..

Difference is, good clay is not free either !! Synthedit is FREE. Drawing comparisons with sync modular and reaktor is not comparable. In the open source code world, it is generally not seen as ethical to recompile the code and pass it off as your own work.

SynthEdit isn't free. It's shareware. Jeff expects to be paid for his work. And he's more likley to be paid if people think they can make commercial stuff with SynthEdit.

People probably can make commercial stuff with SynthEdit, especially now that you can write your own C++ modules for it.

If Jeff optimizes things inside SynthEdit, all SynthEdit synths will be more efficient.

I've seen many commercial products that were compiled with free C or C++ compilers. :->

oh no...I hope this isn't my fault :?

Mine was a question of SE still being in beta and there still being problems and bugs, not with the quality of the actual SE VSTi's as I see that these are very good indeed. :D

I have no problem with you or anyone else charging for them, but because SE is in beta there are problems and high CPU usage in the VSTi's created, I take the stand that the SE VSTi's are also in beta until SE reaches Version 1.00 and all the bugs/problems that carry through into the VSTi's are sorted.

With this in mind, I asked the question as to whether, at this stage in SEs development, it is viable to charge for the SE VSTi's.

This in no way is meant to critisise your synths. They are good....there is no denying that! Hope this explains
:D

i have not come across a synth edit creation werth paying for.

warbug wrote:i have not come across a synth edit creation werth paying for.
I dunno... I haven't come across one that I would BUY (since I have Crystal, Ultran, Pentagon, and z3ta, and there aren't many things that I couldn't do with these :D ), but Land of Cockaigne's stuff (and BONES' forthcoming babies) are something for which I wouldn't hesitate to pay $10-$20 if I didn't have the aforementioned quartet.

Personally, I won't build anything in SynthEdit until/unless it gets a drawable multipoint envelope module, since I cannot imagine my life without them since Crystal. If it got that, though, I'd be the first in line to buy the suite, and within a week of purchase I would probably build a monster that not computer could run this side of Orion... :lol:
- Dingo
The higher you soar the smaller you seem to those who cannot fly. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Palestinian Media Watch - Arab-Israeli Conflict

>>a drawable multipoint envelope module

You could ask Jeff. He usually says yes to everything, eventually. :->

Dingo and Mistertoast - SynthEdit has graphical multipoint envelopes. I haven't seen them used in any of the synths yet, though, apart from the ones I'm working that is.... :wink:

Now that Jeff's released an SDK for SE modules, it's just a matter of folks getting their C/C++ compilers out if there are any missing features in SE.

Collusion wrote:Dingo and Mistertoast - SynthEdit has graphical multipoint envelopes. I haven't seen them used in any of the synths yet, though, apart from the ones I'm working that is.... :wink:
You're right! I've just downloaded the update, and I see it in the menu! I don't know yet how the graphics side is handled (I did say 'drawable' :) ) though...
Collusion wrote:Now that Jeff's released an SDK for SE modules, it's just a matter of folks getting their C/C++ compilers out if there are any missing features in SE.
Thing is, not only do I not have a compiler - I don't even know what the difference is between that and a regular plier... :shock: :lol:
- Dingo
The higher you soar the smaller you seem to those who cannot fly. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Palestinian Media Watch - Arab-Israeli Conflict

Maybe some people take themselves a little more seriously than I do but I don't believe that I have any of the requisite skills to expect anyone to pay for anything I might make in SynthEdit. Anyway, its not like its hard. My little killers are pretty damned good but it has very little to do with me.

BTW, I would have bought SynthEdit by now if I had even the slightest idea where to go to do it. It seems Jeff is not that concerned with getting too much money from it so I don't see why anyone who exploits Jeff's generosity should either.

P.S. I should have my little killers up over the weekend.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

it beats reaktor ensembles in one respect.
the finished creation is saved as a vst and doesnt require one particular 400 dollar program to run it.
It would be nice to have a dash-type place selling moderately priced synthedit creations.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”