Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
pekbro
KVRAF

1923 posts since 29 Sep, 2010, from Maui

Postby pekbro; Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:55 am Re: Tassman 5, any words?

One things for certain, the 2 principles @ AAS are clearly seriously accomplished
academics. I find it hard to believe that they are stymied in their ability to push
their own technology forward. Who knows what they've got going on, or how much
of themselves they have had invested in the AAS product line of late.

I find it doubtful, that they would simply begin to suck as developers...
S0lo
KVRian

590 posts since 31 Dec, 2008

Postby S0lo; Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:30 am Re: Tassman 5, any words?

My guess is, It's too advanced for many people. Which probably led to the introduction of their other specific plugs like chromaphone and string studio that gave a more usable interface. I'm guessing the underlying engine is probably built on top of Tassman. I'm guessing they internally improved on Tassman over the years but never got to production level. Probably because of the low sales. I remember seeing Tassman on steep sales for like 72% off last year, if they soled well why would they stop?

This reminds me of how the Nord modular died. I think I've read somewhere that the nord lead 3 has the same underlying engine as the modular G2. Yet, the lead continues and its more powerful father dies.

One thing for sure, every time I open Tassman it amazes me.
Last edited by S0lo on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jbravo
KVRian

1306 posts since 19 May, 2002, from Cambridge, UK

Postby Jbravo; Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:43 am Re: Tassman 5, any words?

Yeah I demoed Ultra Analog the other day and thought it sounds pretty much like Tassman so why would I buy it, completely forgetting it's made by the same people, so I daresay it's pretty much the same under the hood.

Even if they gave v4 a beautiful makeover (which it could really use), I reckon a lot of people would snap it up especially as modular seems to be flavour of the month
S0lo
KVRian

590 posts since 31 Dec, 2008

Postby S0lo; Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:15 am Re: Tassman 5, any words?

OOOPs, wrong post.
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

4655 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:04 am Re: Tassman 5, any words?

pekbro wrote:One things for certain, the 2 principles @ AAS are clearly seriously accomplished
academics. I find it hard to believe that they are stymied in their ability to push
their own technology forward. Who knows what they've got going on, or how much
of themselves they have had invested in the AAS product line of late.

I find it doubtful, that they would simply begin to suck as developers...

You may have answered your own question. Being academics is about theory, not practice. Knowledge does not necessarily translate to good implementation of theory into practice (in fact, there's often a disparity). AAS have a history of not planning good user interfaces, which fits very well with my hypothesis that they're good with theory but have difficulty with, or an outright inability to, imagine their users as being anything other than fellow academics.

It's not *quite* as bad as that, but it's something I've noticed in AAS over the years and the various generations of their products.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
pekbro
KVRAF

1923 posts since 29 Sep, 2010, from Maui

Postby pekbro; Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:21 am Re: Tassman 5, any words?

Jace-BeOS wrote:
You may have answered your own question. Being academics is about theory, not practice. Knowledge does not necessarily translate to good implementation of theory into practice (in fact, there's often a disparity). AAS have a history of not planning good user interfaces, which fits very well with my hypothesis that they're good with theory but have difficulty with, or an outright inability to, imagine their users as being anything other than fellow academics.

It's not *quite* as bad as that, but it's something I've noticed in AAS over the years and the various generations of their products.

Particularly with regard to Tassman, there is no doubt some validity to what you're saying. I can't agree about the theory vs practice thing, but I would tend to fit squarely into one camp in that debate. A debate that clearly, would extend far beyond the scope of this thread.

-Cheers
ZeePok
KVRian

937 posts since 22 Aug, 2004, from Edge City, the Low Country

Postby ZeePok; Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:44 am Re: Tassman 5, any words?

Michael L wrote:The Tassman FAQ is informative-- OSX 10.15 is a factor. Also you can download the old User Area patches as a zip, plus the newer Extras.
https://www.applied-acoustics.com/tassman-4/faq/

I've never been able to find the TM User Library. I tried to DL the archive and got an "Access Denied". I emailed AAS, they said they fixed it; still: "Access Denied". :(

Emailed AAS again, hope they can fix it next week ... :help:
CinningBao
KVRAF

1740 posts since 15 Apr, 2004, from Capital City, UK

Postby CinningBao; Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:31 am Re: Tassman 5, any words?

Try again, just got confirmation from Eric that it is available to download, just tested, and it is.
ZeePok
KVRian

937 posts since 22 Aug, 2004, from Edge City, the Low Country

Postby ZeePok; Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:24 am Re: Tassman 5, any words?

CinningBao wrote:Try again, just got confirmation from Eric that it is available to download, just tested, and it is.

You got the problem too? Thanks! Will try it.

Edit: Yep! Got it now! :)
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

4655 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:31 am Re: Tassman 5, any words?

AAS were honest:

"Tassman 4 has been our biggest endeavour, filled with good and bad design decisions but ultimately, we failed to make it evolve."

I certainly will credit them for honesty. :tu:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
aMUSEd
KVRAF

29552 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:15 pm Re: Tassman 5, any words?

aMUSEd wrote:'As of today, Objec Delay replaces Tassman 4 in the Modeling collection.'

Does that mean if you own the Modelling collection already you can get Objec Delay now?

OK right now, with the 50% sale on too, I have an offer to complete the collection for $44 - good enough for me :)
aMUSEd
KVRAF

29552 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:44 pm Re: Tassman 5, any words?

Kudos to AAS for making that the smoothest installation experience - not only does their installer bundle every single update into one if you want it, including purchased soundpacks, but it also registered it automatically too.
dayjob
KVRian

1222 posts since 6 Nov, 2006

Postby dayjob; Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:53 pm Re: Tassman 5, any words?

Jace-BeOS wrote:AAS were honest:

"ultimately, we failed."

ftfy ;)
Previous

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Modular Synthesis