[reaktor] RUHR

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Today i am proud to present the first ensemble made with modular x framework: RUHR
It's a polyphone modular synthesizer with wires on panel.

I want to thank ...

Stephan Schmitt for this incredible and wonderful REAKTOR which always gives me inspiration over years,
Max Zagler for his partials framework which set the basis of multiplexing i am using in modular x intensively,
Phil Durrant (sowari) and Rick Scott (rachmiel) as critical and constructive companions while betatesting,
Phil Durrant for nice snapbank and last but not least
my wife for patience over years while building modular x and listening patiently to some strange and horrible sounds i made with RUHR.

modular x is an open system, so there are several containers on my harddisc and in my mind for futural ensembles. RUHR is a traditional modular synth to get first impression of practicability.
Modular synths are complex instruments so you have to learn how to use it (me too).

Please read the very short manual and learn by the tutorial snap bank and the hints at every panel element.

The framework of modular x is very complex in its structure. As an open system it is build with the intention that you can change several containers or build your own modular synth later.
BUT be patient i will give you a manual next months. If you try by yourself you will not be succesful.

now have fun! herw
Last edited by herw on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanks herw, your work is inspirational as well.

Woah! Pretty friggin' cool. You may have 'scooped' u-he Bazille ;)

Seems there's suddenly a lot of interest in Reaktor again. It's really encouraging that the new stuff coming out is so fresh sounding too. Skanner was great, Razor is on my GAS-list, and the user library continues to surprise with commercial-grade ensembles FOR FREE! This is why I love Reaktor so much. It was my first music software purchase (over 10 years ago). I've been distracted by other VSTis over the years, but I always come back to Reaktor. It is an old friend. :)

-u
"I guess one person can make a difference, but most of the time they probably shouldn't." -M. Simpson

Thanks Herw. I am a follower of your work, and this announcement cames just when I was preparing an article about software modulars, talking about Reaktor. I will definitely mention you and your work, and of course this newcomer. A modular within a modular
Fernando (FMR)

Unfocused wrote:Woah! Pretty friggin' cool. You may have 'scooped' u-he Bazille ;)
hmm - i think urs had a look into my concept because the modular exists since 2005! ;)

But this is not the end. The modular x framework is prepared for real plug&play which means that a user can build his own modular. It is successfully tested in December 2011 and will be published next months.
I think some developers will get big eyes.

ciao herw

Wow, what a monster ensemble!

Thanks for your time and sharing it for free, the music world needs more people like you :clap:

This is simply brilliant!!! Thank you so much :)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

thats one serious looking synth - nice work.
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

Hi, Herw!
thanks for greate work!
for your interface requires a special monitor? how many inches? :))
What's difference between the pitch and pitch mod inputs in SCO containers?
when there is a complete manual?
Music - is my life

djOrloff wrote:Hi, Herw!
[...]
What's difference between the pitch and pitch mod inputs in SCO containers?
when there is a complete manual?
every input expects a value range of [-1..+1].
the midi pitch input of a SCO transforms this range to [-127..+127] inside (and then to frequency).
The pitch mod inputs works accordingly if you set pitch mod coarse to 127. But it reduces the range when setting this lower.
F.i. you connect midi pitch input to midi container, connect pitch mod input to LFO output (pulse wave). Now set pitch mod coarse to 1. Press any key (f.i. pitch=60), the SCO will change from 59 to 61 periodically.
If you set pitch mod coarse to 12 it will change the pitch form 48 to 72 etc.
The pitch mod range is [-48..+48] with two special values +127 and -127.
Normally you use only very low values of pitch mod coarse for vibrato.
Using an envelope like ADSR you set it to +12 or -12.
These are only very simple examples. Use a mixer to get more complex modulations.

There will be never a complete manual because i am developing containers from time to time.
I have decided to write the hints.

I would like to have a complete manual too but it would be an enormous expenditure of time to write it in german and english too (i am not a native english speaker).
There will be a manual for creating your own modular in summer i think.

ciao herw

Amazing

Speechless! Incredible (as always)
Thank you yet again, herw

tested in reaper: open plugin window with Runr, enable automatic saving, after switch to next snapshot closing plugin window stop responding during 1 minute, after this time may working again well,
I would not say that my system (Win7) is unstable, I did not notice anything like this with other ensembles.
can you check this possible bug?
Music - is my life

If output for pitch connect to input of SCF, this is (in other words) key tracking of filter parameter?
If in any case pitch converted from 0..1 to 0..127, then why all on the GUI written "normalized pitch input 0..1" ?
Music - is my life

djOrloff wrote:tested in reaper: open plugin window with Runr, enable automatic saving, after switch to next snapshot closing plugin window stop responding during 1 minute, after this time may working again well,
I would not say that my system (Win7) is unstable, I did not notice anything like this with other ensembles.
can you check this possible bug?
no this isn't a bug. I think it is not a good thing to enable automatic saving because while saving REAKTOR stops audio output.
Loading and storing time is relatively long (60-90 seconds) because of so many event tables i am using (>180).
This is not a bug but REAKTOR has to compile the ensemble. Loading and saving time depends on number of event tables :(
I am working to reduce the number of tables to <50.
Saving a snapshot is no problem. So save the ensemble manually only when needed.

ciao herw

Return to “Modular Synthesis”