What is the problem with the reputation of SynthEdit?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The most popular ones are clones of hardware, and many people talk about them, but seeing as how they fell really short, the rest of the people think that is all they're good for.

I think Synthedit is only good for personal use.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:The most popular ones are clones of hardware, and many people talk about them, but seeing as how they fell really short, the rest of the people think that is all they're good for.

:dog:

EvilDragon wrote:Yeh, pretty much. But 64-bit is going to happen in due time, there's a beta out there. Mac support probably not quite yet.

It's going to be awesome when OP-X PRO II, Elektrostudio, etc., become native x64.
Just use jBridge. Its already awesome.

If you are still fishing for opinions here goes:-

I'm not going to enter into issues of psychology, perceived coolness, peer pressure... or any other secondary concern, just my experience and the results as I found them.
I've trawled plenty of VST sites and downloaded plenty of SE synths, yes: I've even bought a couple. Conclusion: *subjectively* I find them (in almost all cases) to be less than what I need, either in the bass end, fidelity, general presence, tone, definition, whatever. So they just sit there on my hard-drive waiting to be deleted. Having been disappointed on many occasions; I just skip over SE downloads these days.
I have coaxed something 'ok' out of SE synths but found typically that other solutions that I already own can also do that and more, making the better SE synths redundant on my setup too. My 'others' are free/cheap/expensive alternatives incidentally.

I'll keep the door ajar for XOXOS' SE creations because he is so damn capable and his projects are so intriguing, but that's about it.

So: continual disappointment breeds the reputation you are talking about (I've tried).

However SE is still a good thing because it encourages creativity and facilitates people actually *doing* something. Long may it continue.

Just to finish off with some perspective: I don't like Alchemy or Reaktor either, and I'm largely ambivalent to Diva! So Synth Edit is arguably in good company there. :>

JHUK.

Even I pass by current SE downloads without trying them, the creativity is gone and now it's how close to someone else you can get.

But I'm mad over making my own, had a furious session today with stuff that doesn't get done anywhere else.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

SynthEdit = Krakli = StringZ2 = heaven
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

The best analogy to SynthEdit I can think of is Youtube. When you put power in the hands of ordinary people, most of what they make IS ordinary, you can't just switch it on like the BBC and see extraordinary filmmaking - But exciting, innovative stuff IS in there, you just have to do some digging.
Youtube produces content the big networks would NEVER think of making. Overall we all gain.

The biggest problem I have with SE is not being able to support MACs. All of what we do at M-RGT is experimental type synths made with SE and I think we miss out on the Mac market as a result which limits our sales.

I think in general our synths are unique regardless of how they were made but not being able to provide a product for the MAC users is definitely a drawback that we cannot overcome. I know many MAC users who would love to have our synths and it is just not possible. At least the 64bit issue can be overcome with Jbridge and hopefully even that issue will be addressed. There just is no useful PC/MAC bridge that solves the problem.

synth edit said it would help me move , but when Saturday rolled around , it was nowhere to be found ...
synth edit will write you a check , knowing full well there are insufficient funds to cover it ...
synth edit , I've heard , sleeps around ...

I personally think, the problem with SynthEdit creations (and others Export - to - VST) is, that a lot of those people believe:

IT^S SYNTHEDIT, I COULD DO THIS BY MYSELF. (which is wrong, by the way)

SynthEdit is easy to use, that's the problem. If it had the complexity of C++ programming, they wouldn't mind.
By the way, it's also easy to make uncommon stuff with that. Just be creative.

My 2 cts.

Roger

Jeff McClintock wrote:The best analogy to SynthEdit I can think of is Youtube. When you put power in the hands of ordinary people, most of what they make IS ordinary, you can't just switch it on like the BBC and see extraordinary filmmaking - But exciting, innovative stuff IS in there, you just have to do some digging.
Youtube produces content the big networks would NEVER think of making. Overall we all gain.
That's absolutely right. At the end, most C++ programmers use the same algorithms of other programmers for their own products, in many cases is copy/past. Ever heard of musicdsp.com ?

Roger

RunBeerRun wrote:The most popular ones are clones of hardware, and many people talk about them, but seeing as how they fell really short, the rest of the people think that is all they're good for.
Yes, you can't make professional music with Synthedit plugins. You need professional C++ coded plugins for that, like all the Pro's use!

:roll:

ImageImage

WOK wrote:Yes, you can't make professional music with Synthedit plugins. You need professional C++ coded plugins for that, like all the Pro's use!
SynthEdit is coded in C++ ;)

Jeff McClintock wrote:
WOK wrote:Yes, you can't make professional music with Synthedit plugins. You need professional C++ coded plugins for that, like all the Pro's use!
...and you can code modules in C++ using the Synthedit SDK all the same as with the VST SDK. You can code as much as you want with Synthedit.

Did you know that Sylenth 1 was made with Synthedit as it started? The sound and everything else was the same.

Peter999 wrote:
Jeff McClintock wrote:
...and you can code modules in C++ using the Synthedit SDK all the same as with the VST SDK. You can code as much as you want with Synthedit.
Did you know that Sylenth 1 was made with Synthedit as it started? The sound and everything else was the same.
I thought it would be clear I made a joke :?
This recurring Synthedit discussions "are going me on the nerves" as we say here.... :D
ImageImage

Return to “Modular Synthesis”