What is the problem with the reputation of SynthEdit?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

normal wrote:synth edit said it would help me move , but when Saturday rolled around , it was nowhere to be found ...
synth edit will write you a check , knowing full well there are insufficient funds to cover it ...
synth edit , I've heard , sleeps around ...
i thought you got in trouble for publishing masonic secrets??
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

normal wrote:synth edit said it would help me move , but when Saturday rolled around , it was nowhere to be found ...
synth edit will write you a check , knowing full well there are insufficient funds to cover it ...
synth edit , I've heard , sleeps around ...
If it's any consolation it happened to me too. It still owes me a $90 bar bill that I covered for it...

Its just cleaner and feels nice to have hard coded plugins instead of plugins attached to folders with exploded files. My aversion to SE is mostly based on OCD.

Whatever happened to that guy who made the car engine emulator?
miedex

I think it's funny that the same people that disdain SynthEdit plug ins will be the very ones that rave about a Reaktor ensemble. Both are rapid prototyping environments for sound processing. What's the difference?

Go figure!
My music is a fusion of jazz and funk. It's called "Junk"

tropicalontour wrote:I think it's funny that the same people that disdain SynthEdit plug ins will be the very ones that rave about a Reaktor ensemble. Both are rapid prototyping environments for sound processing. What's the difference?

Go figure!
I'm one of those people. Under a Reaktor ensemble is a living breathing thing. I often go inside my patches and change something and overtime I form a sort of bond with them. Even if I could export my Reaktor ensembles as a VST I don't think I would because I've grown to enjoy the Reaktor environment as a host as well and I appreciate being able to change something when an idea strikes me.
miedex

miedex wrote:Its just cleaner and feels nice to have hard coded plugins instead of plugins attached to folders with exploded files.
I hate Native Instruments' plugins much more, that will spread files all over my harddisk in any available folder from "programs" to "Documents and settings"   :x
ImageImage

WOK wrote:I hate Native Instruments' plugins much more, that will spread files all over my harddisk in any available folder from "programs" to "Documents and settings"   :x
+1 It's annoying to tell a programme to install in a folder, and than having to dig and dig to find the folder where the ensembles are stored :roll:

What's the difference?

Go figure!
The reputation of a tool mostly comes from what's made with that tool. If most SynthEdit-made plugins are shit (& you know they are), then that's what people associate SynthEdit to (& you can't blame them). More & more amazing plugins made with it, that's the only thing you can do to help.

& SynthEdit gets more shit made with it because there are more chances a new programmer will be using it. It's the same deal with a lot of tools(including what I use myself, Delphi).
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

Numanoid wrote:
WOK wrote:I hate Native Instruments' plugins much more, that will spread files all over my harddisk in any available folder from "programs" to "Documents and settings"   :x
+1 It's annoying to tell a programme to install in a folder, and than having to dig and dig to find the folder where the ensembles are stored :roll:
This is not NI's fault.

User files (such as your presets) are always placed in Documents and Settings/Users. Those are Microsoft's programming guidelines ever since Windows Vista. Or was it XP? Anyways, since Vista, applications that aren't ran under administrator privileges are NOT allowed to write within Program Files folders. This is for security reasons. That's why Documents And Settings folder is there (or, on Vista/W7, "Users" folder).

Regarding Reaktor ensembles, you can set the locations of both the factory content and user content folders yourself (File->Preferences->Directories). Ensembles you put there will always be there. This is pretty explicit, and Reaktor doesn't write its files anywhere else but these folders, to my knowledge.

sonicfire wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Yeh, pretty much. But 64-bit is going to happen in due time, there's a beta out there. Mac support probably not quite yet.

It's going to be awesome when OP-X PRO II, Elektrostudio, etc., become native x64.
Just use jBridge. Its already awesome.

I use Reaper's own bridge for the time being (why pay for jBridge when Reaper has it, and I paid for it already?), but I'm much happier when I run all plugins natively in 64 bits without any bridging whatsoever. So this is my expectation for SynthEdit's future, hoping that the plugins that I already have and use be natively x64, so that ultimately I can only have one VST folder on my hard drive, instead of two (separate 64- and 32-bit VST folders).

Call it OCD, I don't care. I just want that to happen.

EvilDragon wrote: So this is my expectation for SynthEdit's future, hoping that the plugins that I already have and use be natively x64, so that ultimately I can only have one VST folder on my hard drive, instead of two (separate 64- and 32-bit VST folders).
I'm afraid that won't happen for most of the SE plugins that you use right now. The 64-bit version requires 64-bit SEMS (modules). Current 32-bit SEMS are not compatible, and will not be supported via a 32-bit bridge. This means at first most existing project files will not work in the 64-bit version because the SEMs are not available.

A lot of developers use 3rd party modules from different sources for their plugins. Those modules would all have to be rebuild (a lot of work) for 64-bit by their developers.

Chris Kerry for instance, has made an enormous amount of SE modules. It would take him almost a life-time to convert all of them to 64-bit (which he won;t do, he already said).

And there are a lot more SE module developers..
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

At least OP-X could do. Peter wrote his own modules for that one, IIRC? And I suppose he himself would want to see his creation in 64-bit native as wel.

All Elektrostudio synths use only a couple of modules (DH_MIDI CONTROL MEISTER_A and B, DH_DBTOVOLTAGE, DH_VOLTAGETODB, CK_HOST_CLOCK, CK_VARI_CLOCK_PULSE), surely at least those could be ported. :D

tony tony chopper wrote: The reputation of a tool mostly comes from what's made with that tool.
the reputation of a tool mostly comes from what is said about it. or, not said.

you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

the reputation of a tool mostly comes from what is said about it. or, not said.
& what's said about it comes from what's made using it.

Do you think people are bashing SE-made plugins for fun, for the name? Once you've tried a couple of SE plugins and they were all crap, whenever a new SE plugin comes up you may not bother to try it, it doesn't matter how good it can be, it suffers from the image of the other plugins.

If you really believe people are bashing SE plugins for some obscure technical reason that only a few have heard about..
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

Return to “Modular Synthesis”