What is the problem with the reputation of SynthEdit?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

that's not a fair comparison
programs are not labeled "Made in C++" or "Made in C"
vst plugins on the kvr database have those special labels "Made with SynthEdit" and "Made with SynthMaker"
but there are no labels for the native ones whether they are C or C++ or whatever

i don't understand what's the problem
there is so much crap-quality food in the supermarket, it's all wrapped up in the same shiny wrappings as the good food, and it's produced with the same kind of technology and machines
you have the same stuff in your kitchen too
but i don't blame the kitchen, i just learn to chose what to buy more carefully
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

synthedit is like you put together building blocks someone else made,
at least most people thinks this way.
But when they see Albino III or other mindblowing vst,
they're sure it's unique and was developed from the ground up..

Anyway, Elektrostudio and his synths are pretty superb, and they are synthedit too.

xhunaudio wrote:In any way I did not want to be derogatory of the term 'Amateurs' indeed.
I didn't think you made that point at all. I just "tangented" off on a part of your post to make one of my own.

And I do know of at least one of my "amateur" friends from the SynCModular scene who is now a professional developer.

You got to start somewhere.

dune_rave wrote:synthedit is like you put together building blocks someone else made,
at least most people thinks this way.
But when they see Albino III or other mindblowing vst,
they're sure it's unique and was developed from the ground up..
this doesn't necessarily matter, it is how you put them together, too.
it allows 'enthusiasts/amateurs' to try some ideas of their own, explore,
-and share. and then they can go on to deeper work and building their
own modules, and maybe, port the whole thing over to c++.

by the way: don't forget that a lot of them were built in a version
that preceded multiple processors, so that is perhaps why you have
trouble with them on newer machines. recent versions of SE have
addressed this so that problem should have gone now with stuff made
in v1.1 onwards.

Just read this thread from Page 1 onwards, hard work in places..
Thought I might make some random points..

Firstly SE is a good tool. It allows somebody like me to create instruments that I and others find fun to use.. Can the results be used professionally? I guess that depends on the professorial, a good number of them seem to prefer mac hardware/software so none of those will be using SE plugins any time soon!

Making 'Real' Money from Plugins SE or otherwise.. I think that that is probably a myth these days unless you are making one of the really popular plugins or charging the earth for it, and the Price/Quality ratio of iOS music apps has very much changed the buying public's perception of the 'Right Price' for software.

Frustrations with SE Plugs.. I am one of the guilty parties who have not upgraded the majority of their plugins to overcome the single-core limitations of earlier versions of SE. Why? a) Because I am a lazy sod.. b) because I don't make any money out of this, despite paying for the upkeep of the web-site etc. c) because It doesn't always go smoothly. The aforementioned Stringz2 is one that I would like to update, and I have tried. However, its internal architecture is a bit odd to say the least and after upgrading the source an annoying note behavior has crept in which has prevented me from releasing it.

Can SE sound good? silly Question. Good compared to what? People will admire ancient hardware synths but in all honesty they could be plagued with tuning issues or noisy output stages. Also the genre that you are into makes a difference to what you think sounds 'good'. I personally like the sounds that come out of something like my RMPx synth, but generally it is more suited to melodic swishy, twinkly pad type sounds. If you are heavily into some of the more modern dance type sounds than it won't sound good to you, if you are ito melodic ambient it might be right up your street..

The whole point of a forum is discussion (of course) and the OP's question is guaranteed to back people into their respective corners. But we should all be grateful for the existence of SE (and other design environments) it has driven some interesting development arcs and created real diversity in the plugin market.. You just need to look past all of the me-too SE creations.. Some of these SE novices will be tomorrows plug-in stars whether that be in SE or Native coded plugins.

Their site is still down... Not very professional :roll:

fluffy_little_something wrote:Their site is still down... Not very professional :roll:
Their? Jeff and.. his fluffy little rabbit?
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

I don't know who the site belongs to or who it is operated by...

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't know who the site belongs to or who it is operated by...
This guy:

:hihi:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

never mind the bunny: the Flea rocks.

SODDI wrote:
xhunaudio wrote:In any way I did not want to be derogatory of the term 'Amateurs' indeed.
I didn't think you made that point at all. I just "tangented" off on a part of your post to make one of my own.
I misunderstood :)
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

The site as such is still down, but at least they have posted the download and buy links on it meanwhile.
Since there will be a 64-bit version, will the upgrade be free or at least cheaper than a new license?
And when will the new version be available? I don't want to buy the old version now only to find out the new version is just around the corner :) Especially if there is no reduced upgrade fee.

Im not a Synthedit user, although I have come across a couple that I like, Sylenth for instance. People talking about sound fischmelity.. really?. I use whatever I can get my hands on if it does the trick for me. Been using everything from Sync Modular in the 90s, to about any other graphical oriented programming language. And I love it! Even miss some things I used to make.

Personally I want to see what I get, and the price should be mild.
I have my filter set to extreme for patches.
But Hey.. I have that for software in general.

Also a lot of native is't that great, to me shotty knobs and dull people
have just the same amount of clutter on the market, as any other.
And some of them use stuff that other people made (take Juice)

I think it takes a specific mindset, and a lateral thought.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”