What is the problem with the reputation of SynthEdit?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:You can repeat your nonsense as often as you wish, most SE effects sound like crap, just like most SE synths, ears don't lie...
sssuuurrree..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Synthedit.....
Elektrostudio synths are all synthedit,
and they are stunning!

I still don't get the problem. Nobody is saying that SE CANNOT sound good, all I am saying is that most such synths don't do so, for whatever reason. It's not all or nothing.

Well, you're wrong.

dune_rave wrote:Synthedit.....
Elektrostudio synths are all synthedit,
and they are stunning!
Just for fun I just donwloaded the Elektrostudio June as I have Tal's native U-NO-LX to compare it with. They should sound very similar...

fluffy_little_something wrote:I still don't get the problem. Nobody is saying that SE CANNOT sound good, all I am saying is that most such synths don't do so, for whatever reason. It's not all or nothing.
you know what, there are so many stupid movies (and they are all shot with the same cinema cameras..)
but i've learned to predict whether i should watch the given movie or not, and so far it works

why can't you learn how to pick synths and stop picking the bad ones?

or make your own, instead of complaining
then you'll see whether it's easy or not, to make a "good" synth :wink:
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Maybe compare it to U-NO-62 rather. I think the Elektrostudio one should be pretty old by now, so it would be a more fair comparison i think. :oops: Even then you wouldn't be able to judge SE in any way though, as already been said, it's all about the quality of the modules i guess. As far as i can remember the Elektrostudio June didn't really knock me out of my shoes anyway, same goes for the other plugins from him. But each to its like.

antto wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I still don't get the problem. Nobody is saying that SE CANNOT sound good, all I am saying is that most such synths don't do so, for whatever reason. It's not all or nothing.
you know what, there are so many stupid movies (and they are all shot with the same cinema cameras..)
but i've learned to predict whether i should watch the given movie or not, and so far it works

why can't you learn how to pick synths and stop picking the bad ones?

or make your own, instead of complaining
then you'll see whether it's easy or not, to make a "good" synth :wink:
That is why I asked for people to name 5 very good SE synths, but nobody really does, all I get is wishy-washy indications and accusations...

Actually, I indeed wanted to get SE and make a synth myself, but I came to the conclusion that it would probably not be worth the money/effort. I don't think a synth like Diva can be done in SE, while there are more than enough average and mediocre synths out there already.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't think a synth like Diva can be done in SE
It can, with custom modules (= direct C++ programming).

SynthEdit as a modular environment in itself is just amazing. It's like the Joomla! for sound/instrument design 8)

For an example of some cool SE made plugins you could take a look at the latest plugins from Homegrown Sounds. Ammonite, Vortex, Black Magic, Introjector, ARP..

He uses a lot of his own custom made modules by the way (starting with "AP").
Last edited by Nielzie on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

EvilDragon wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't think a synth like Diva can be done in SE
It can, with custom modules (= direct C++ programming).
Well, yes, but that is not what this thread is about. Of course you can code all kinds of modules yourself, but then it ceases to be a pure SE synth. I don't have the numbers, but I assume the vast majority of people making SE stuff do not know how to program in C++ or any other relevant programming language.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Well, yes, but that is not what this thread is about. Of course you can code all kinds of modules yourself, but then it ceases to be a pure SE synth. I don't have the numbers, but I assume the vast majority of people making SE stuff do not know how to program in C++ or any other relevant programming language.
So, you gave the answer to your question why there are many SE plugins which doesn't sound well yourself... it is like creating a web site with some kind of internet web design service, they will just look standard. Saying that, i don't know about the quality of the standard SE modules though, but i could think they're pretty "standard" if any serious developer develops his own modules. Apart from that, 1000s of similar sounding synthesizers with the same oscillators and filters will become a bit boring i guess. :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote: mention five great-sounding SE synths
Krakli StringZ2

Krakli RMXL

SonicProjects OP-X

Xoxos Radian (plus many more)

Memorymoon ME80

UgoAudio String Theory

UgoAudio M-Theory

UgoAudio Ironhead

AlgoMusic M51 Galaxy

....etc

ahh sorry you wanted only 5!

:D
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

can i just interject with a calming "ommm"?
carry on...

fluffy....you seem to have hearing issues somewhat. :hihi: :hihi:

There is no way to objectively prove your dubious point..just accept the 'uniqueness' of your position and leave it be. :) :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Return to “Modular Synthesis”