Nord G2 Demo for Windows

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone know where I could find a copy of the Nord G2 demo software for Windows? The Clavia site doesn't seem to offer it anymore.

I am considering pulling the trigger on one of the Roland Kuit books, but I'd like to get a little more experience with the G2 software to see how easy it is to transfer the concepts to the modular software I use most often.

Any help, or opinions on his books would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Weird, they only seem to have the OSX version for download, and that's the one that doesn't actually run on current versions of the OS.

The Kuit ebooks do come with a copy of the demo, so I guess he has permission to redistribute. You could always ask him, I guess?

I do wish the eBooks werent so expensive, though.

edit : Im vaguely remembering the demo might have been included on some magazine coverdisc or other. Computer Music maybe?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thanks for the info. I will go through my CM discs to see what I can find. If not, I will email Roland to see if anything can be worked out. The price of the books is the whole reason I am hesitant to just buy one of them.

Thanks again.

Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Karten wrote:You might want to try this:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-57892.html
and this:Nord Modular G2 Factory Sounds

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libr ... ory-sounds

:tu:
바보

Hm, while we're at this, i've been searching the internet once for this question, but never really found anything (some were saying it is, some were saying it isn't): Is the sound of the hardware unit and the sound of the software identical?

Karten,

I did actually give that version a try yesterday, but I keep getting a memory error.

Bftucker,

I will try that download, although from the title it seems to only be the patches, not the emulator.

Thank you both!

chk071 wrote:Hm, while we're at this, i've been searching the internet once for this question, but never really found anything (some were saying it is, some were saying it isn't): Is the sound of the hardware unit and the sound of the software identical?
My understanding is that the demo was based an emulation of the G2's processor, so it was the same code running as the real hardware. However the G2's sample rate is 96Khz, and the demo's is half that, so there may be some subtle differences because of that.

Alright, thanks. :)

feralsystems wrote: I will try that download, although from the title it seems to only be the patches, not the emulator.
Yes. The patches load into the emulator on my very old laptop (Win xp). Lots of fun.
바보

whyterabbyt wrote:
My understanding is that the demo was based an emulation of the G2's processor, so it was the same code running as the real hardware. However the G2's sample rate is 96Khz, and the demo's is half that, so there may be some subtle differences because of that.
It's running fine at 96k over here. I'm pretty sure the limitation is to one voice / one slot so essentially a monophonic version when the hardware has either 16 or 32 note polyphony depending on patch complexity.

secretkillerofnames wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
It's running fine at 96k over here.
My mistake then.
I'm pretty sure the limitation is to one voice / one slot so essentially a monophonic version

Yup, plus some modules arent supported.
when the hardware has either 16 or 32 note polyphony depending on patch complexity.
Its a bit more complex than that. According to the manual its primarily dependent on the patch complexity/memory use. So a patch using 25% CPU should be able to run 4 voices per DSP, which on a regular G2 would be up to 16 voices, and on an expanded G2 or a G2X would be up to 32 voices ( assuming nothing else happening). Obviously using multiple slots, would reduce polyphony, and the FX area, if active, takes up a DSP.

The lowest polyphony will be 1 voice per available DSP (on a patch that uses more than 50%) but it seems to be right that the maximum polyphony is 32 voices, (although the way they say it works one 'should' be able to get 10 voices per DSP on a patch using less than 10% CPU. Dont know why they arbitrarily restricted it on top of that.)

whyterabbyt wrote: Its a bit more complex than that. According to the manual its primarily dependent on the patch complexity/memory use. So a patch using 25% CPU should be able to run 4 voices per DSP, which on a regular G2 would be up to 16 voices, and on an expanded G2 or a G2X would be up to 32 voices ( assuming nothing else happening). Obviously using multiple slots, would reduce polyphony, and the FX area, if active, takes up a DSP.

The lowest polyphony will be 1 voice per available DSP (on a patch that uses more than 50%) but it seems to be right that the maximum polyphony is 32 voices, (although the way they say it works one 'should' be able to get 10 voices per DSP on a patch using less than 10% CPU. Dont know why they arbitrarily restricted it on top of that.)
Yes it's pretty much just like the Nord G1 I have here. I can have 16voices on a 2osc/no frills patch that uses less than 25% but if I add slots or extra complexity it drops. I tend to have 4 x monophonic complex patches most of the time. The G2 demo (straight or hacked) only allows monophony regardless of the complexity. Can't say how similar to the G2 hardware it is but compared to the G1 it sounds brighter and cleaner.

It would be great to have Nord modular G2 as a vst...
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

This could be good news actually; they might be working on a G3 :)

Return to “Modular Synthesis”